Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Why people switch from Airstreams to MHs

It seems to me that in most cases (I can think of one exception where someone went to a 5er), people who sell their Airstream do so because they decide they want a motorhome. Of course, in a few cases they end up with an Airstream motorhome.

Nonetheless, I'm curious what line of reasoning brings people to this decision and how it works out for them. Are they drawn to the possibility of greater overall space? Easier backing and maneuvering? The difficulty of hitching and unhitching? Stability or other problems encountered while towing? Something else?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I went the other way from a 38 footer diesel pusher to a 25 Safari.
The reasons: 1. Boondocking and Forest Service camping--almost impossible in a low clearance humungous motor home. 2. Ease of repairs and maintence. I can do and fix most everything on my Airstream. I was always chasing around to fix or service something on the motor home. 3. Money, a humungous motor home costs a lot and depreciates like a stone. The Airstream costs a little and depreciates the same.
I do miss a few things about the motor home. 1. Ease of setup and departure, particularly at night, in the rain or in super hot weather. If it was raining, all I did in the motor home was park and hit the automatic leveller button and turn on the satellite t.v. 2. On the road comfort. My wife would take the wheel, the dog and I would grab the two couches and the miles would pass while I read the paper.
Which do I prefer? I have had the Airstream for almost six years, much longer than any of our four previous r.v.'s. I had the humungous motor home for 18 months and was glad to see it go.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
We went from a 28' AS to a luxury MoHo. We had two Golden Retrievers at the time, and like to hit the road for a few months at a time. This gave us a lot more space. Also enabled my husband to continue working on the road with his own designated desk/space. But alas, I missed the iconic AS AND! the friends we made in our local unit. We are now (and will be forever) restoring a '54 FC. Also purchased a 19' Bambi last year to use until restoration of FC is completed. If I had to pick one way to travel, it would definitely be the Airstream!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Our choice is the AS/MH. In our present lifestyle seems like we do more actual traveling than camping, which plays a big role in deciding, but soon as we're both retired that probably will change. The few times we have been camped in the same spot for more than a week we have learned to rent a cheap car at or near destination before getting hooked up. We don't go anywhere without our dog (he's 13) but turns into a puppy whenever he realizes we're getting the MH ready for a ride.
I've driven the box MH's and they really don't come close to handling as well as the AS/MH especially any time the wind is blowing.
Overall the AS/MH is best of both worlds, IMHO.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post
Overall the AS/MH is best of both worlds, IMHO.
Double ditto, we love ours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1616.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	98891  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
I will have to echo what "handn" had to say. We went from a 35' Bounder to a "78" Ambassador. Part of the decision was to get back to our roots of camping: state parks. We found it difficult to find state parks with long enough pads and all the hook-ups we wanted with the MH. But there certainly was more convenience and reliability with the MH. Jump in, turn the key, and go. Interesting thought...camping vs. traveling.

Bob
TAC PA-5
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

I have to agree with Handn and Roadrunner. We went from a 45 footer to a 32 Excella 1987. When my father passed away we inherited the A/S. Now don't get me wrong I loved the motorhome very much except for the 10k in repair bills every year, either water heaters, air bags, electrical issues. The bad thing was that you were limited to freeways you could use, ie where you could go. Now for the A/S it get just as much attention as the motorhome, we can take it anywhere we want, most of the maintenance is done at home ie very little cost. We use it more often than the mh. We spend more time outside and enjoy the living room view of the oceans, redwoods in noerthern Ca. to Whaleshead in Broodking Oregon one of our favs. I can't ever imagine getting rid of the A/S its a family heirloom to be passed down the line.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
_

. , .
LOTS of threads on this tt/moho issue jammer...

and even a poll or 2.

there are positives for both and negatives too...

some folks are driven 2 choice by the +s and others the -s...

this thread is recent enough and explores some of the issues and reasoning...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ome-39210.html

there are some significant issues related to larger families or hauling kids by either approach.

the PRICE of fuel and MPG for mohos has been partly responsible for a shift to tt in the last few years...

still, typical pattern is womb >> crib >> stick home >> tent >> van (vw) >> tt >> moho >> rest home....

afta 25 yrs with an a/s moho,

my morph was to tt (who knows what may happen next) so i am working the flow backwards...

where is that crib?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
typical pattern is womb >> crib >> stick home >> tent >> van (vw) >> tt >> moho >> rest home....
You speak the truth, my friend.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Although we didn't go from an Airstream to a motorhome, we went to a 5th wheel, our reasons for doing so would have been the same had we selected either a 5th wheel or a motorhome.

Basically, it came down to our desire for more comfort, spaciousness, and (take a big gulp!) a bit more luxury. I could give you a much longer list, but I'll just illustrate with several:

1. King sized bed with choices of mattresses.

2. Leather recliners and sofa (with feet rests).

3. Entertainment center, a couple large screen (one is 42") HiDef TVs.

4. Much larger bathroom area, including bigger water heater, larger holding tanks, separate toilet room, 2 bath vanities, etc.

5. Larger refrigerator/freezer including ice maker and water dispenser.

For more primitive and off the beaten track type of camping, I still tent and truck camp, and enjoy camping or Rving by just about any means or method (just so you don't think I've entirely made the transition that 2air outlined -- I'm not yet one step removed from permanent underground "camping" - with a memorial stone overhead!)

John
Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I think a lot has to do with the individual and how they are using their unit, whatever it is.

I like the Airstream I have because of my ability to fix anything and everything on it. It is a very durable design and will withstand plenty of over the road movement that will destroy lesser trailers. To me a MoHo is a maintenance headache and if something major happens to the drive train you are stuck, with the AS trailer I can rent a Uhaul to get me home, or even buy a $5000 truck.

We still own a popup for trips to the nearby state parks and are looking at a small MoHo to use for weekend trips, to some destinations. The MoHo does have the advantage of being able to stop, use the bathroom, grab a sandwich and never set foot outside.

I have used my AS for longer term living and it suits me just fine...kind of like an efficiency apartment. You just have to be creative with you packing AND remember you can't take it ALL with you.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I agree with the person that responded with it is a very personal decision....

We are old (70 each)and a little tired Home in Oro Valley is hard to leave. When we had a motorhome we towed a toad; for me that was a lot to think about--remember all the hook-up stuff, brake buddy, was the steering wheel in position, etc.

Now I am again wishing for simplicity; just get in the RV and drive but then again....

You have to exercise the motor and I have always had a problem with gas/diesel engines--constance maintenance and I am not good at that.

The trailer (Airstream) is easy to maintain: no black marks dribbriling down the side and batteries are batteries whatever you have. I just like the situation of pulling in to the park and positioning and punching a button and the coach is level--of course that costs $ to maintain. There is/was something not quite right and needing attention.

If/when we sell our trailer, I think we will stay home.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I actually hear quite the opposite - people want to tow, setup, then take the TV out for local sights.....

Biggest reason is the restrictions to those bigger guys in the State & National Parks - even some of the local spots are starting to restrict to trailers 27 (or even 25) and below....

Guess its in how ya use it!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Why people switch from Airstreams to M/Hs

We've been at this RV thing since 1969. We've had trailers, 5th wheels, VW popups, Van campers and all the way up to the luxury 40 ft diesel pusher. We started with a 1963 AS International Overlander in 1969 and got hooked on the lifestyle. Right then, we decided we wanted to go full-time at a later date. My wife and I usually communicate reasonably well on most things, but trailer backing was not one of those things. I may not be the the best at backing a unit in, but she didn't have a clue when it came that operation. After many trials with backing, we decided the M/H would be better for us. Our marriage too. We have owned 13 RVs and our 1984 AS 310 may be the last one for us. We sold our 40 footer and decided to downsize. I went 1 day without a M/H and bought the Silver Hornet to refurbish. It's an ongoing project, made more difficult by the fact we live in it while traveling. Although we headquarter in Lubbock, Tx, we have a cabin in Cimarron, NM, and a house in Denver,CO. So we live in it about 5-6 months out of the year. So when we leave Denver, we are traveling. I personally prefer the M/H with a Toad because it seems easier to deal with, notwithstanding the Brake Buddy hook up etc.etc. We generally travel to our cabin in NM on the way to care for the wife's sister who is in assisted living in Amarillo, then on to visit friends in Lubbock where we lived for many years. Motorhoming just seems to suit our lifestyle better than the trailer.
Safety is another reason. When in the M/H if the surroundings begin to deteriorate, you light the fire and drive off, whereas with the trailer puts you in harm's way to get back in the car and leave. We stop at roadside rest areas a lot while traveling, so that's a consideration for us.
I feel like the cost of maintaining and insuring the M/H is about the same as the trailer and tow vehicle. So again, it comes to personal preference. More creature room=trailer, more travel, less camping=M/H. The choice is yours and your time of life helps determine this too. There is no wrong choice with AS!!!
Mike
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
TT to MH

We started renting MHs out west for a couple of weeks at a time and flying out. Finally wanted our own, had a heavy duty pickup truck and bought a 1966 24' land yacht. Loved it and renovated it. Used it for 8+ years and sold it for every penny spent. Purchased a 77 GMC 26' MH. Renovated it and after 2 years found the sleeping not large enough. Again we sold it this time for a profit. We kept referring to as the airstream and could not help ouselves, sold it and purchased our now present 89 345LE and love it! Found that with the MH with a wrangler toad have pretty much have the best of both worlds. I think the only step up from the airstream would be Prevost, when I hit the lottery. Our 345 is the cats meow. We travel all over the US with it happily.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #16

Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
Right in the middle of Selling 2007 Airstream Classic 30' slide and going to 43' MH

And getting a Bambi. Simply need more room to fulltime. I love my Airstream. It's my first Airstream.

We will hit the small camping spots in our Bambi. We really can't do that in a 30' Airstream very much.

Also Airstream trailers are not four season RVs. The holding tanks are not heated.
cfoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
im curious why there are so many late model motorhomes on the market with virtually no miles?do people impulse buy these units,then realize the cost of operating is way too much?do they lose there nerve as they age to manuver these big rigs?i like simple so the airstream travel trailer fits the bill for us.when i speak to people on the road most of them say a motorhome is a maintenance nightmare.one guy told me if its not breaking he felt like he wasnt camping.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Why people switch from Airstream trailers to motor homes (or 5th wheels) . . .

. . . . when they can't lift the stinger any more
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
We made the switch from a 34' Airstream Classic to a 43' Dutch Aire diesel pusher by Newmar about 2 months ago. I've had 1 tent trailer and 5 travel trailers (the last 2 were Airstreams). We are spending 5-6 months on the road and just wanted more living space, storage, and conveniences. This is not to say we won't someday buy a Bambi or something for shorter stays. Newmar makes a very nice product that makes it feel more like home than an RV especially with 4 slideouts. That was important for us and we wanted to try this. If we like it well enough, we will full-time for awhile after selling the house with no rush to replace the house. It has many more conveniences but it also has more to go wrong in the future. That's why I got the extended warranty and went with a brand that is known well for it's quality control and service. You have to go into it knowing that it's going to cost more but it's a wonderful way to travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5672 (Small).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	99243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3276 (Small).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	99244  

Name:	IMG_5804 (Small).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	99245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5807 (Small).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	99246  

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
im curious why there are so many late model motorhomes on the market with virtually no miles?do people impulse buy these units,then realize the cost of operating is way too much?do they lose there nerve as they age to manuver these big rigs?i like simple so the airstream travel trailer fits the bill for us.when i speak to people on the road most of them say a motorhome is a maintenance nightmare.one guy told me if its not breaking he felt like he wasnt camping.

I believe you hit the nail on the head, but add in the economic turndown. For people who suddenly lost 1/3 or more of their income, the maintenance and storage costs - or a choice between paying your kid's health insurance or putting diesel in the moho - Well, selling the moho turns into a no-brainer,doesn't it?

Also, I've talked to four or five people who realize they've owned a moho for 2-5 years and only used it for 2-5 WEEKS. Most bought their moho's to change their driven 80 hour work week habits... and then couldn't follow up on their intentions. A sensible person takes a look at a moho growing green algae on it's skin... faces reality... and sells it.

To reference back to 2Air's post, I've seen three moho's for sale this spring where the owner or his wife has either died or become totally disabled within months of purchasing the new toy. Sad.

Paula