Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I do like the idea of heavy, expensive cookware like the Magma (for home use). However for camping in the AS we have gone light and compact when ever possible. we still like and use Sea to summit for the trailer. I use it for back packing as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sea+to+su...l_42rgnd275h_e

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Lynn View Post
Should we just make do with an assortment from home?
Yes. Well, a couple nice pieces that you don't need at home. I mean how many skillets does one use? I have two. Then I have two Corning glass saucepans.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Have seen several folks post about magma nesting cookware but Omg it’s pricey. We are first time RVers with a new AS Bambi 2020. Trying to outfit her well. Should we just make do with an assortment from home? Anyone find a less pricey alternative lately?
I did exactly that for many years. I was preparing for the first multi-week full-house trip (2 guests in the Airstream and family in a rented motorhome on the next site) and by then had an idea of what I'd like to have in terms of cookware, so I gave a Magma nesting set a try and really like them. I bought the induction-friendly ones because my mom had given us an induction "burner" as a christmas gift and that's turned out to be handy for sites with electricity and nice enough weather to cook outside. (I mean, I COULD use the induction thing inside, I've just never done that)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Putnam , Connecticut
Thanks for the tips! Hadn’t thought of induction hot plate.
Carl n Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes. Well, a couple nice pieces that you don't need at home. I mean how many skillets does one use? I have two. Then I have two Corning glass saucepans.
Thanks for the tips! Just bought a cheap set at ikea to hit the road. $15 to figure it out.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Carl n Lynn, of course you can use whatever you can from home. The Airstream Police will not visit you to make sure you only have pricey pots and pans. As time goes by you will figure out what you need and what you don't. Wait for sales in the fall of RV equipment or just go to a second hand place and buy some extra stuff for the trailer.

Many people buy Bambis and in a few years upgrade because the Bambi's are very small. Airstreams do not have much storage anyway and so you will probably want to restrict cookware quite a bit if you want to have a place to sit.
Thanks Gene. Glad to know there are no AS police as I picked up a $15 set of pans at IKEA yesterday. �� this way I can figure out what we really need and have space for during our first few trips.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
Try Defender marine. They have better prices and often run a sale. We have large regular (not non-stick) and use it all the time. Our set came with an extra handle, which is handy.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #28
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
If it is made of real magma, it should cook anything in seconds and heat the trailer as well.

Real magma - your never at a loss for humour Gene[emoji106]
Old 08-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
I have and love the Magma pans. They are heavy, which I like and nest which means they don't take up as much room as my old pans (some Marth Stewart type of stuff). I found some silicone hot mats that store inside so they don't rub around (the felt daisies would work, but this is double duty).

The advantage of the heavier cookware is that the heat is evenly distributed and the pans stay warm longer after you've finished cooking. But, so much depends on the way that you like to eat and serve...for some campers anything beyond a simple cast iron skillet is overkill!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #30
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
We’ve used the Magma Red for 18 months. 7 piece set. I carry a crepe pan and a cast iron skillet also. Has served us well. I could lose the small sauce pan and the large one or Dutch Oven as I just don’t use them.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Graceville , Florida
Magma

Yes, we love ours. I found a great deal on Amazon for the whole set with extra pots/lids and handles. Just watch out for the oh so powerful bungee cord!
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Crescent City , California
We have the magma nonstick induction and love it
Gun2Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks Gene. Glad to know there are no AS police as I picked up a $15 set of pans at IKEA yesterday. �� this way I can figure out what we really need and have space for during our first few trips.
Good plan. I didn't say there were no Airstream police, just that they aren't looking for pots and pans. They are out there checking for missing rivets, improper hitches, after market awnings, faded decals and chairs that don't match the awning.

My wife would have a duplicate kitchen with every known kitchen gadget if I didn't keep an eye on her, and even then she gets stuff inside I never saw before. She did take some of the nesting set we have out because she never used it, but we do have a lot of stuff, some of it cast iron. We do prefer heavy cookware because it does heat better, but some practicality must happen.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #34

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chicago , Chicago
I'm using Magma Stainless Steel Cookware. There are 10-piece set can nest in each other perfectly and two detachable handles. It also heats evenly and retains heat longer
zeldaella is offline   Reply With Quote