Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Is it possible to get an Airstream before I retire?

Dear Airstreamer's,

So far I have been very impressed with the activity on this Forum. Lot's of great advise shared by a very friendly bunch. Kudos to all of you :-)

So my question: Is it possible to get an Airstream before I retire:
- Did you wait or get one before retirement?
- Where do you store it when not in use, home or off-site? I prefer to go big or go home, i.e. Classic or International 30ft.

My situation: Still 8-10 years to go before retirement, unless I am pushed ;-) Still enjoy traveling the world. Planned to get an AS when I retire, then will cover everywhere in the US. Not really been to many of the US parks (16 years in the US. From the UK originally). Problem is, I am really hooked on these Airstreams! I want one now!

Took a trip to an RV show. Went to an Airstream dealer. Very impressed. Prefer all creature comforts, so the wife and I really like the Classic 30. No issues with towing, had a boat, worked on farms a kid, wife and I can drive anything.

Very interested to hear your AS story.

Cheers
Flat 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I always planned on getting one when I retired. As it turns out our 30' Classic found us 7 years ago. I still have a year or so to work at this point. It stays at home where I poured a pad at the side of the house with water and 30A power.

It was a lightly used 2007 at a great price and I'm glad it happened that way. With the increase in prices over the last few years, I probably would not be in the market for an AS now. Just out of reach.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I remember a couple posting that they were in the same situation. They bought one early and were very glad they did. As above consider late model used.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
I retired 8 years ago and have mostly played golf (low cost here) since wife still working. We've done a couple of cruises and a trip to Europe and few flights to places here in the states. My wife still had about 4 years to her expected retirement, then one day came home and said she saw a cute little class C on the highway. Well, started looking at that point, first at Mini Winny (I didn't want slideouts). A dealer showed us an AS and that was all it took. Got serious about researching them and ended up getting a 2017 26U. Then the TV....
I have now talked her into moving up her retirement to end of this year so we can have more travel adventures while hopefully still having our health. So for us a split, after I retired but before she does!

Where ever you go, there you are.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
It's up to you and your financial situation and what changes you need to make. Do you need to move to a smaller house to make it happen? Only you can say what trade-offs are worth it to you.

<-- Sold my house.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Unless I was going to be able to use it now I would wait. I do not see the point of paying the cost and risk of storing and the depreciation on the trailer without using it. Plus lots can happen in a few years that could make one go in a different direction.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Unless I was going to be able to use it now I would wait. I do not see the point of paying the cost and risk of storing and the depreciation on the trailer without using it. Plus lots can happen in a few years that could make one go in a different direction.
This is true. We have been campers all our lives and this AS is our third trailer. We use them. On the flip side, having some years for shorter trips, in preparation for potential extended trips, will gain you valuable experience.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We bought a used 2001 Safari 25 after we both retired. We weren't specifically waiting for retirement, just never thought about it until then. We had a great Class C vacation in California when the kids were young but mostly spent our vacations visiting family until the kids left. After retirement Missy said "Remember when we....." and that started the search for an RV. We looked at almost every brand of trailer and finally settled on Airstream.

We found the Safari locally on the bulletin board at an Airstream-only park after watching the ads on here for several months. The trailer had been stored inside and well cared for by the original owner, and sold to the second owners 9 months before we bought it. We were able to keep it in our driveway with no problems but finally decided we wanted to keep it as nice as the original owner so we made arrangements at a local storage facility where it was kept inside. The driver in that was our location only 3/4 mile from the Atlantic Ocean and its salt spray.

We traded up after two years to a 2002 Classic 30. The Safari had been modified to replace the sofa with recliners and didn't have a dinette or the fold out tables which were lost in the recliner conversion. We loved the recliners but had to eat from TV trays and had no guest seating. The newer trailers in the 25-28 range are more conveniently laid out.

There are plenty of do-on-your-own activities, forum activities, and if you join WBCCI, club activities. Most of the WBCCI clubs I am familiar with try to have a rally once a month in camping season.

My vote would be - go for it!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Planning ahead goes beyond just financial stuff. As I get older and stiffer I wish I had a full size van instead of a 2500.truck. It would have more interior storage and easier access than a truck bed, and I could have.ordered it with super comfy captains.chairs. Plus it.could serve as a spare bedroom for the nephew who eats.5 bean chili when camping![emoji44]🤢
Do a LOT of research! And check with the zoning nazis about keeping the trailer at home/building an RV garage.

Paula
Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Buy as soon as you can and start travelling and learning. We bought ours used and are very happy with that decision. You can often get more in terms of add-ons like solar and upgraded hitches by buying used.

If you buy sooner rather than later, it will give you the opportunity to learn the things you need to learn and get the bugs worked out of the rig before you retire. Then, when the "big day" arrives, you're ready to confidently hit the road in style!

Good luck!
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
To my mind, there are only two primary things to consider before acquiring an AS or any RV for that matter: Do you have the time and desire to actually use it, and can you reasonably afford the purchase cost and upkeep? Almost everything falls on one or the other side of that ledger, and IMHO whether you're retired or not doesn't rely matter if you can answer yes to both of those questions.

In our case, we didn't get into Airstreaming until we'd been retired a few years. We like to travel and have probably seen more of Europe than we have of the US so we finally decided to correct that situation. Plus with a TT we wouldn't have to leave our beloved Annie the Lab at home. We purchased a 25' Flying Cloud and after a few trips we concluded that we'd like more room and conveniences so we've ordered a 30' Classic. It would have been a money and time saver to start "big" but that's water under the bridge. We talked about waiting a couple of years to upsize but the realization that at 67 we may not be able to pursue RV'ing forever prompted us not to waste any more time before getting what we really wanted.

We keep our trailer at home, and I really enjoy that. In addition to saving the money on storage, I can go out and fiddle around with it whenever I like. (It's a great place to take a quiet nap!) Owning an Airstream is a fun hobby in itself and opens up a way to have more new adventures and keep life interesting.

BTW, I noticed your Flat 6 screen name. Are you a Porschephile?

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
You are right about this forum. It is very informative on MANY subjects. We got our Airstream 2 years before retiring from farming in Iowa. We got our '02 Classic 30' S/O in 2008. We lived in it in FL for 3 months at a time, as well as trips to Glacier, Yellowstone, etc. At one point we were crazy enough to own 3 Airstreams at the same time!!! We have now cut back to normal and have a 2017 26U - as do Dave-n-Janet. Its a good size for extended periods whether traveling or staying in 1 spot. The floor plan is just perfect for us. The exterior storage is unbelievable. Buy your Airstream when you can. I don't think you will regret having one before retirement !!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
10 years ago, at the age of 42, we bought our first Airstream. It was a 1970 23' Safari. 5 Years later, we bought a 2005 30' Classic. We were somewhat "scolded" for buying a "retirement" trailer!

Turns out to be the best decision we ever made! We use it at least once a month year round, and usually (2) weeklong vacations. We have never regretted have the "luxury" of a Classic.

And truthfully, we have never seen the need to upgrade to a newer Airstream until we spent an hour in the new 33'. We find that unit amazing. We will not be retiring for a while longer, when time comes we will find a used 33'.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I’m about 9 years from retiring, and we bought our first and likely our last Airstream, a 2014 30’ FC. We plan to retire and travel the US. But for the next 9 years we plan to use it every weekend (we bought a lot in a RV Park) and a couple of trips a year. By the time we retire we’ll be seasoned pros. It will likely be paid off and we’ll be debt free. No better way to full time travel.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our story is a little more convoluted. My youngest son acquired the family Airstream a number of years ago. He bought it because he loves camping and traveling. The first owners were a couple who bought it for retirement, and decided it was a bit too small. My son got it because the 2007 23' International was the last AS that had a desk in the rear, next to the wet bath. It also happens that 2007 was the first year there were no issues with the 23' International frames. Older ones needed reinforcements as a fix.

Through an odd series of events, he moved to Hawaii and transferred the AS to me. Now he is back in California, so the AS is available to him again. I get to do all the maintenance and improvements, but have taken the 'Silver Ham Shack' on several long-term expeditions cross country after I temporarily (it turns out) retired... It's about the right size for two or three people and four smallish dogs, and its an easy rig to tow. The current plan is to get a bigger tow vehicle next year, finish the improvements, and do more camping.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
Not retired and I brought this home last week.

The photo was taken after I backed it into the covered storage unit. It's got electricity so I can keep the battery charged and precool the fridge and perhaps the camper when we load it up.

Did our shakedown last weekend and heading out this weekend too. Works great.

Never wait. You might be dead by then.
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Don't wait. You never know what awaits you around the next corner. My dad hated his job and looked forward to retirement for years. He died at 58. All those dreams never realized. You are only here once.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
Don't wait. You never know what awaits you around the next corner. My dad hated his job and looked forward to retirement for years. He died at 58. All those dreams never realized. You are only here once.
AMEN. My dad never got to meet his great granddaughter. He died at age 62, feeling 'cheated', in his words. There were many things he planned, including a grand trip to see our family in California.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
To my mind, there are only two primary things to consider before acquiring an AS or any RV for that matter: Do you have the time and desire to actually use it, and can you reasonably afford the purchase cost and upkeep? Almost everything falls on one or the other side of that ledger, and IMHO whether you're retired or not doesn't rely matter if you can answer yes to both of those questions.

In our case, we didn't get into Airstreaming until we'd been retired a few years. We like to travel and have probably seen more of Europe than we have of the US so we finally decided to correct that situation. Plus with a TT we wouldn't have to leave our beloved Annie the Lab at home. We purchased a 25' Flying Cloud and after a few trips we concluded that we'd like more room and conveniences so we've ordered a 30' Classic. It would have been a money and time saver to start "big" but that's water under the bridge. We talked about waiting a couple of years to upsize but the realization that at 67 we may not be able to pursue RV'ing forever prompted us not to waste any more time before getting what we really wanted.

We keep our trailer at home, and I really enjoy that. In addition to saving the money on storage, I can go out and fiddle around with it whenever I like. (It's a great place to take a quiet nap!) Owning an Airstream is a fun hobby in itself and opens up a way to have more new adventures and keep life interesting.

BTW, I noticed your Flat 6 screen name. Are you a Porschephile?
Hi Mike,
First YES guilty, I am a Porschephile - 911 GTS for my sins. Actually that's why I love the Airstream design, a slow and steady evolution, just improvements, same as the Porsche 911.

Anyway, back to AS. To your first point; Time Poor! Did I fail the test? However, hoping I might be able to work more remotely as time goes by, i.e. work right from the AS! My wife has a job where she can move anywhere and work. So there's a thought.

I like the idea of keeping the AS at home also - fiddling around with it. We have space. Although I like what Rich (dznfog) did, poured a pad with hook-ups - very cool.

The Classic 30 is very nice. Saw one and the Classic 33 recently. 30 is the winner for me. I just love the lounge area and open feel.
Flat 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 6 View Post
Hi Mike,
First YES guilty, I am a Porschephile - 911 GTS for my sins. Actually that's why I love the Airstream design, a slow and steady evolution, just improvements, same as the Porsche 911.

Anyway, back to AS. To your first point; Time Poor! Did I fail the test? However, hoping I might be able to work more remotely as time goes by, i.e. work right from the AS! My wife has a job where she can move anywhere and work. So there's a thought.

I like the idea of keeping the AS at home also - fiddling around with it. We have space. Although I like what Rich (dznfog) did, poured a pad with hook-ups - very cool.

The Classic 30 is very nice. Saw one and the Classic 33 recently. 30 is the winner for me. I just love the lounge area and open feel.
Hi Flat 6,

Guilty here too; '14 GT3. I love your comparison of the 911 and Airstream design evolution....it's part of what draws me to both as well.

I'm sure if you can find a way to justify getting an AS that you won't regret it!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote