Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #81
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I disagree with buying the TV second, especially if you know which trailer you plan to buy. Based on the trailer, you buy the right TV with extra capability for good measure and peace of mind. Plus I need the time to get comfortable with the TV before I tow anything i.e. I purchased a Lariat F-150 Supercrew with all the bells and whistles. This is the first truck I've ever owned/driven. Within 2 days of getting it, I scraped the rim on the right rear wheel well against a parking garage post. $340 in damage. Live and learn, now I know about driving deeper into a turn before turning the wheel. Everyday that I drive it, it feels 'less large' and more normal, if that makes any sense.
Hi

Based on numerous threads here, it's not clear that *anybody* knows what trailer they will get until they sign on the dotted line. Changing your mind at the last minute happens a *lot*.

Now, if you just ordered a trailer from the factory, you don't own it yet. In that case I would say you have decided on a specific trailer ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Given we’re home alone now, we’ve added to our “to do list” the idea of selling our larger home and then buying a place with less house and more driveway with no HOA so we can park / store our travel trailer on the property, and hopefully put a roof over it.
Sounds like a good idea, exactly what we want to do. Problem is we still work and live in a high tax state. I prefer to sell then buy is a low tax, lower cost of living state where I can keep my AS on site. Gets back to my original question - How to buy an AS before I retire?

Lots to think about and great to read how others do this.
Flat 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #83
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Per all the notes here, it is certainly possible and maybe even desirable, to buy an Airstream before retirement via many different routes. Best of luck, but under no circumstances should you go deeply into debt to accomplish this goal.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I'm in my mid-40's and still 20 years away from retirement. We also typically take weeklong international trips several times a year as our primary vacations. However, weekends are frequently spent in the Airstream. Because of the limited vacation time, I'm less inclined to take weeklong driving vacations in the Airstream. However, having it available on the weekends is lifesaving for relaxation and a quick getaway. We live in Southern California so can use it year-round, which adds to its integration into our lifestyle. I only wish I had gotten one ten years earlier!
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:32 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
I'm in my mid-40's and still 20 years away from retirement. We also typically take weeklong international trips several times a year as our primary vacations. However, weekends are frequently spent in the Airstream. Because of the limited vacation time, I'm less inclined to take weeklong driving vacations in the Airstream. However, having it available on the weekends is lifesaving for relaxation and a quick getaway. We live in Southern California so can use it year-round, which adds to its integration into our lifestyle. I only wish I had gotten one ten years earlier!
Thanks for sharing your story. I always wonder if living in California affords more opportunities for more frequent long weekend breaks, and therefore easier to get into an AS before retirement?

I am in NJ, and although I love it here; 20 mins from NYC, 4 seasons, great restaurants, easy access to airports, can buy anything within a 15 min drive (Colonial Airstream 1 hour away ;-) The downside for me is most of the big national parks are on the left half!

Also interested to know from people the places to go on the East Coast, assuming your base is Northern NJ and you have a 3-4 day weekend. Guessing the parks close in Sep/Oct on the East?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:55 AM   #86
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We bought used our first one about eight years ago. Then traded it on a new one on 2012. I won't retire for a year and a half. We had always camped though, and knew we liked it. It's a small payment, because you can get 20 yr financing. We also decuct the interest, because it has a bathroom my accountant said it counts as a second home.
We built a carport type structure to store it, so no cost there. Insurance is still our biggest negative. Maintenance is pretty inexpensive.
Our only downside, is seeing it frequently, but not getting to use it.. That will change in 19 months.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #87
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 6 View Post

Also interested to know from people the places to go on the East Coast, assuming your base is Northern NJ and you have a 3-4 day weekend. Guessing the parks close in Sep/Oct on the East?
Hi

Technically it depends a *lot* on how long you want to drive. If you have two (or three) drivers, you can get further than you probably should with one driver. This is even more true if you have limited experience towing "something this big".

Well within range is .... err... Cape May (You *might* have been there before ) There is an Airstream only campsite there that's very nice.

Also within range are most (if not all) the parks in PA, NY, VA, MD, DE, and New England. It's tough to argue with Acadia in Main being at the top of the list. It's also tough to get reservations.

One of the great parts of this is that you can go explore. You don't have to take anybodies word for what the Finger Lakes region of NY looks like this time of year. You can go check it out.

Next layer is - what do you like to do? If you are into salt water fishing, head down to any of the many parks on the DelMarVa peninsula. The winery tour or the hiking program both go on and on and on. Civil War battle sites? Lots of parks around them.

As long as gas prices stay down, there's not a bunch of incremental cost involved in a long weekend. Doubly so if you go Harvest Hosts. The "risk" is pretty low - go explore !!! (Yes, that's the part I wish we had started earlier ...).

Bob
Old 10-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Gaithersburg , Maryland
Is it possible to get an Airstream before I retire?

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your story. I always wonder if living in California affords more opportunities for more frequent long weekend breaks, and therefore easier to get into an AS before retirement?

I am in NJ, and although I love it here; 20 mins from NYC, 4 seasons, great restaurants, easy access to airports, can buy anything within a 15 min drive (Colonial Airstream 1 hour away ;-) The downside for me is most of the big national parks are on the left half!

We live in Maryland and have found some great state and county parks within a half day drive. He eastern shore and Pennsylvania mountains have some great spots. Try the allstays app and narrow your search to county and state. I have not found many independent camp grounds that we like.
cstevecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #89
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Dear Airstreamer's,

So far I have been very impressed with the activity on this Forum. Lot's of great advise shared by a very friendly bunch. Kudos to all of you :-)

So my question: Is it possible to get an Airstream before I retire:
- Did you wait or get one before retirement?
- Where do you store it when not in use, home or off-site? I prefer to go big or go home, i.e. Classic or International 30ft.

My situation: Still 8-10 years to go before retirement, unless I am pushed ;-) Still enjoy traveling the world. Planned to get an AS when I retire, then will cover everywhere in the US. Not really been to many of the US parks (16 years in the US. From the UK originally). Problem is, I am really hooked on these Airstreams! I want one now!

Took a trip to an RV show. Went to an Airstream dealer. Very impressed. Prefer all creature comforts, so the wife and I really like the Classic 30. No issues with towing, had a boat, worked on farms a kid, wife and I can drive anything.

Very interested to hear your AS story.

Cheers
I'm not sure what retirement has to do with purchase.

True, my grandparents had both retired a bit over a half-century ago when they bought their 28' Streamline. My parents about a decade after that (in their late forties) bought a 28' Silver Streak they used the next 27-years.

My latest was purchased when in my mid-fifties. Retirement yet distant. But I found a great deal on a fairly rare 35' Silver Streak knowing that some plumbing repairs, full appliance replacement and cosmetic update would be needed. Probably $20-30k past what I paid given the desire to at least match factory quality and add upgrades. (Affordable, under market. And plenty of time to do any work).

Storing it at home would be the single strong recommendation. Preferably under a cover. (Yes, I'd move if need be, to do that).

A trailer like these is central, not accessory, to life. Ditch some of the other stuff.

And determine an age where this type of travel comes to an end. For my father and grandfather it was at 75. (Works for me).

Have a plan that shows beginning and end.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #90
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not quite sure that any of us can really guess when travel will become a burden. I will not argue with a "mid 70's" sort of number. That's certainly a good guess. In some cases, things grind to a halt well before that. Depending on the complexity of the trip, for others it may go on for quite a while longer.

Buying *anything* at age 65 and saying you will use it for some number of years will always have a qualifier on it ..... To me that's a really strong argument for "do it now".

Bob
Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
My Story:

I had breast cancer at 44 years old (please note that I got it in time and moving forward with my life). I consider my Porsche Macan S and my Airstream Bambi my mid-life crisis. Life is very precious and meant to be lived. I can put away tons of money for retirement (and do), but what about living now?

I store Kitten on my property and we go out for adventures all the time. Please note that for my job and my passion of racing I have traveled all over the world. I just realized I had never traveled at home to enjoy the off he beaten path moments.

If you can afford it, if you have a passion for it, if it doesn't hurt anyone else... Why are you not out camping?

Tara
Old 10-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
why wait? to much fun out there waiting for you to enjoy. By the time you retire you can be an expert camper. Then there are even more places to visit. I recently had a stroke and will miss camping in the fall season, like crazy. you never know what may happen tomorrow!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
We decided to take early retirement a year ago, and had been looking for Airstreams for 4 years. We found a 30' Serenity that was registered but never used and jumped on it.

I don't think retirement is a pre-requisite for AS ownership. If using the trailer fits your lifestyle and travel plans until you retire, GREAT! If not, then wait a bit, there's always another one coming along!

Best of luck with your decision, hope you have fun with the process.

Michael and Leah
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Technically it depends a *lot* on how long you want to drive. If you have two (or three) drivers, you can get further than you probably should with one driver. This is even more true if you have limited experience towing "something this big".

Well within range is .... err... Cape May (You *might* have been there before ) There is an Airstream only campsite there that's very nice.

Also within range are most (if not all) the parks in PA, NY, VA, MD, DE, and New England. It's tough to argue with Acadia in Main being at the top of the list. It's also tough to get reservations.

One of the great parts of this is that you can go explore. You don't have to take anybodies word for what the Finger Lakes region of NY looks like this time of year. You can go check it out.

Next layer is - what do you like to do? If you are into salt water fishing, head down to any of the many parks on the DelMarVa peninsula. The winery tour or the hiking program both go on and on and on. Civil War battle sites? Lots of parks around them.

As long as gas prices stay down, there's not a bunch of incremental cost involved in a long weekend. Doubly so if you go Harvest Hosts. The "risk" is pretty low - go explore !!! (Yes, that's the part I wish we had started earlier ...).

Bob
Thanks Bob, Looks like you are very well travelled. Agree about Acadia - we went there last year; road trip by car, stayed in a hotel, stopped in Portland on the way up. We thought this would be a great place for an AS. But then we thought...where else? Also a long drive + Boston traffic!

The other places look interesting. My wife loves horses and dogs..and well, any animals really ;-) So anything animal related works for her.

Cape May, spent a couple of hours there - I will search that AS park.

All very good ideas. I guess I need to research places to park the AS, then I can get an idea of where I can visit for longer weekends while still working.

Cheers
Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
My Story:

I had breast cancer at 44 years old (please note that I got it in time and moving forward with my life). I consider my Porsche Macan S and my Airstream Bambi my mid-life crisis. Life is very precious and meant to be lived. I can put away tons of money for retirement (and do), but what about living now?

I store Kitten on my property and we go out for adventures all the time. Please note that for my job and my passion of racing I have traveled all over the world. I just realized I had never traveled at home to enjoy the off he beaten path moments.

If you can afford it, if you have a passion for it, if it doesn't hurt anyone else... Why are you not out camping?

Tara
Hey Tara,
Macan + Bambi, nice set-up. I bet that looks sweet rolling down the road. Tell me more about your passion for racing (cars?). I'm trying to get behind the wheel of a McLaren...you never know, right ;-)

Agree about the living now and grabbing opportunities. We lived in CT when we first moved to the US (from the UK). We were very close to the water. I always wanted a boat. My dad was in the navy, he always talked nautical things but sadly he passed away when he was only 49. My wife said, let's get a boat, we live so close to the water, you may never get this opportunity again, in 5 years we may have to move with work! So we did. We spent 4 years power boating and had a blast with the kids. Sure enough, we had relocate a few years later. We sold the boat for $2k less than we paid (bought in the Fall, sold in the Spring).

Take it easy.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
My Story:

I store Kitten on my property and we go out for adventures all the time.
Tara
..oh I just LOL , I wondered what you meant by storing Kitten on my property. I thought, oh she has lots of cats, that interesting, but off topic. Then I checked out your profile pic..GOT IT. Sorry, new to AS and realized that you have to name your AS! I will call mine "Hunter" after my wiener dog.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #97
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
We split the baby in half, sold the house, bought an RV lot with a nice shed for storage in gated community with all the amenities at a fraction of what it costs in a stick house hoa...

We can always go back if we want, but we are having too much fun... retirement in three years or so...
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #98
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a flip side to this that *does* worry me. I see a lot of YouTube video of people doing this and that. Who knows if any it is representative of anything. One of the ones that worry me are the: we sold everything, took out a loan, and went off traveling the world to gain some "life experiences". It appears that the next line in the story is "we are in our (late) 40's, with no savings, no careers, no assets (other than experiences), and lots of debt". Yes the story line after that may be bankruptcy, that only fixes the debt part.

I would not recommend following that path ....

It's a balance. Some lean way to far one way, others lean way to far the other way.

Bob
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Hey Tara,
Macan + Bambi, nice set-up. I bet that looks sweet rolling down the road. Tell me more about your passion for racing (cars?). I'm trying to get behind the wheel of a McLaren...you never know, right ;-)

Agree about the living now and grabbing opportunities. We lived in CT when we first moved to the US (from the UK). We were very close to the water. I always wanted a boat. My dad was in the navy, he always talked nautical things but sadly he passed away when he was only 49. My wife said, let's get a boat, we live so close to the water, you may never get this opportunity again, in 5 years we may have to move with work! So we did. We spent 4 years power boating and had a blast with the kids. Sure enough, we had relocate a few years later. We sold the boat for $2k less than we paid (bought in the Fall, sold in the Spring).

Take it easy.
The two are absolutely gorgeous together. Gets a little creepy at gas stations when random people just start to come up and talk to you. You think, did I lock all the doors? (I travel alone so safety is always a consideration).

I worked with ChampCar and IndyCar in Race Control doing data analysis for about 20 years as my hobby (had a real job during the week). Wonderful time in life.

Tara
Old 10-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #100
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There is a flip side to this that *does* worry me. I see a lot of YouTube video of people doing this and that. Who knows if any it is representative of anything. One of the ones that worry me are the: we sold everything, took out a loan, and went off traveling the world to gain some "life experiences". It appears that the next line in the story is "we are in our (late) 40's, with no savings, no careers, no assets (other than experiences), and lots of debt". Yes the story line after that may be bankruptcy, that only fixes the debt part.

I would not recommend following that path ....

It's a balance. Some lean way to far one way, others lean way to far the other way.

Bob
Right on, Bob, right on. Here's a post I created in another thread that reflects this line of thinking. Bottom line, if you can't afford to finish what you start, don't start: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ml#post1960707

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote