Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Ice maker.

Anyone have one?
I had one in the MH freezer and it was the ultimate luxury to me. I don't drink warm drinks and getting a bag of ice every day or two is not always practical. (and takes up valuable freezer space.)
I understand you need to add water to the reservoir, but it cranks out the ice quickly. I also hear they need cleaning often to prevent mildew.
Any brand you like? They're not terribly expensive although they require AC power.
Do you think the plusses outweigh the minuses?
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I picked one up at a local trailer supply, sorry cannot remember the make but it was a closeout. It did make ice amazingly fast when I tested it. I saw a number of these being used over the winter at the park we stay at. The idea of being able to make ice when in the Traveler was something I couldn't resist.
Yes you simply add the water to the area and ice comes out. Haven't had to clean it yet but since it is a portable unit it will surely require maintenance of some kind.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That was one of the first things I got when I first got the trailer.

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2016/05/got-some-ice.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
It's my favorite thing that I purchased for the AS and the first thing I set-up when I arrive at a location. They seem to generally be made by the same manufacturer but are re-sold under various brands/labels. I've noticed that Camping World is over-priced. You should be able to get on online for about $99 or at Sam's Club. Camping World seems to have it at $150-ish.

I never have a problem with mold/mildew. But after I finish a trip, I drain it and then wipe it down - there are areas inside where water can collect as well as condensation because it was still cold. I just wipe it all and then, instead of closing the lid fully, I leave a clean dish towel on the lip to keep the lid partially open and allow any moisture to evaporate. Also, I have one of those silica packets that draws out moisture. I leave that inside.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have found that a couple of these make all the ice I need and take up little space at a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Wh...words=Ice+tray

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Glad I'm not alone in wanting ice.
I've been doing the usual research, Amazon reviews, Google, and YouTube.
From what I can glean, you have to move the unused ice to the freezer, otherwise it melts. People complained that the cubes drop out wet, then in the freezer form a hard clump that needs an icepick.
I thought the Igloo would be best, but the reviewers said they just used the name, and were made elsewhere. (I'd guess they are all made in China) Customer service was nonexistent.
The top reviews were for one made by "ThinkGizmos". Any problems were answered by shipping a new one. Melted cubes returned to the reservoir.
I don't know, an ice maker and a Instant Pot and I may be set for life!
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, the ice from the Igloo clumps, but nothing that a couple of bangs against the counter can't break up...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I found that the ice clumps more when I do move it to the freezer.

If you look inside the ice maker, there nine little posts, which I assume are the freezing elements. The water receptacle then lifts up to submerge these posts in water and they freeze the ice around them. I guess you can say the ice freezes from the inside out. After a few minutes, enough ice has frozen for a full size "cube" (albeit a round one) that the receptacle lowers and drains the remaining water.

This is the part I haven't quite figured out. I don't know if they simply turn off the freezing mechanism or if the post actually warms up. In any event, the ice cubes quickly fall off the posts and then are scooped into the holding bay. The holding bay has slots on the bottom so that water drips into the reservoir as the ice melts.

The ice does come out a bit wet, which is why it clumps when I put them in the freezer. A little knocking sets them loose but I generally just leave them in the holding bay in the machine unless I'm trying to make a large amount of ice.

Also, the first few batches when setting up are kinda weak - the ice isn't well formed. I think the freezing elements need a couple of cycles to get cold enough.

I turn it off at night when I go to sleep and by morning, most of the ice has melted so the process starts all over for the day with accumulation and use.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Bought my parents one of these when their icemaker went out in their fridge. They used it a bit and said it made good ice fast.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote