Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
My wife and I don't have to JUSTIFY anything to anyone. We decide what we want and if we "want" to do it and thats it. In the end it is just a trailer your not selling a kidney or something.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mike in Puget Sound , Washington
I think this is just about the best forum thread I have ever read.

Naw, on second thought, delete the words "just about".
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:11 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Wholeheartedly Agree =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I think this is just about the best forum thread I have ever read.

Naw, on second thought, delete the words "just about".
As long as it's not putting you in the poor house (aka excessive debt to income ration), GO FOR IT! On the flip side, it it makes you so happy (and, this is important, the happiness will last and not wear off) then also, go for it. Temporary buyers remorse is one thing...everyone's had it (I haven't yet with a moho as I've only had my own personal rigs for a few years (on #3 now) but I bloody well have with some of my boats...which is my other passion that rivals my love for air streaming and many people call an obsession (however as someone with Aspergers I prefer to think call them my hobbies...but everyone always gets a kick out of me schooling boat and MoHo dealers every now and then....oh, and aviation, but I frequent other forums for those "hobbies.")
I just wish I could get a job selling RVs, boats, or even selling airplanes (80% of the words aircraft currently flying are private/charters...amazing when you think about it) But...it's hard to keep a job when there are days where you can't leave your house for days at a time...God those suck even more because they get super pricey since I might as well be productive with my paralysing agoraphobia (which sucks because i'm intelligent enough to know nothing out there's out to get me yet I literally can't walk out my damn front door) so I end up ordering boat or RV mods online (If Amazon had a frequent flyer program I'd be diamond/emerald/platinum/titanum/black card level) and start yet another totally unnecessary but pretty damn cool project. (Fixing the mid '90s carried over for some reason to my '00 XC Diesel has been one hell of an undertaking (I plan on posting plenty of before and afters but not till I'm done) It's too bad most of the mods I've done on my boat aren't even noticeable unless I point them out.

So personally, I have in the past and even recently (this thread brought the nagging voice in my head to the forefront again) questioned why am I spending so much bloody money on these "toys" (for big boys) when honestly (especially this past year) have spent waaayyy more time in my back yard than on the road or the lake? The answer is. Even parked they bring me joy

So, in the end life's too short to penny pinch. (Unless you have to, I admit and never deny that I come from a privileged background and have been very blessed in life (though unlike some of my contemporaries) I have taken said blessings and very prudently and strategically through the stock market (it's amazing how many people don't know the killing you can make in a down market), real estate, Amex points (I really wish I traveled more I have enough points to fly world wide first class a few times over....but oh well) and any other income methods that can be performed at home (occasionally hiding in my closet during a gnarly panic attack, lol) You could be thinking you're kicking ass in law school one year then the second semester get grades on your finals that don't match up to your final exam essays (according to my personal attorney at least)...be .5 percent from passing...get denied academic probation and even repeating the first year while some blonde bimbo who did way worse was let on probation...given the option to re-apply in two years after which you promptly tell the school where to shove it, find out your father has stage 4 inoperable cancer in his throat the next day, but by the grace of god and many favours returned from dear friends in the medical system letting him basically jump the line to get into Stanford's cancer centre...(he's completely in remission with two clean scans now almost a year later) but the radiation pretty much has him learning how to eat again...find out at age 33 you've been mis-diagnosed your entire life from shrinks you've been seeing since age 4 as bi-polar when (3 doctors have concurred) you have this thing called Aspergers Syndrome which didn't exist until I was a freshman in high school...unlike today where they can tell if a 2 year old has it) but you look out at your backyard and see that shiny (i wish metal....'95 Classic DP...my unicorn, one day) recently washed fibreglass Airstream and go fire up it's amazing 330 cummins turbo diesel you've wanted since you were just a child...(everyone who owns a gasser either has turbo envy and admits it or denies it and is LYING) heheheheh...and you realise, life really isn't that bad and certainly could be a WHOLE lot worse (just look at the refugee situation in Europe ...I have very deep ties to the Armenian community, many of whom were actually born Syrian) and any buyers remorse I have, goes right out that window, to the cockpit of my Airstream that currently just sits there...but I (and a team of new doctors) are working on it. I have one goal with my XC before I trade it in...go to an Airstream rally. Just gotta find a travel companion besides my dogs, lol. But, even it it doesn't, at least I have forums like this one, and many others, that let someone like me who once spent his summers globetrotting and doing other stuff that on FB or Instagram would have come off as beyond obnoxious (I'm sooooo glad social media was its infancy and I never understood Myspace anyways) but now lives his life vicariously through the wonderful posts i read online about others with the same toys as I, but unlike I, the current capability to use them.

I apologise for the length of this post...I just started typing and it kinda got away from me. But I want the members on here to know how much they've all meant in their own little ways to me this past year. Hopefully I'll meet you at a rally soon where we can argue whether fibreglass Airstreams truly count...if not, I'm sure there's already a thread for that but if not I'll start a new one =)

Until then, I'll close on this. If you even own an airstream, then it was worth whatever you spent on it. (with some exceptions of course) but the mere pleasure (and occasional pain) of owing one means that in the grand scheme of things you're blessed in life. Life is good, even if it seems bad sometimes, life is good.

Keep on 'Streaming =)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Insurance

I hesitate to mention practical matter again, since this thread is so full of great philosophical answers. But I found this interesting:
Calling my insurance Co for quotes on various options, I found that the cost to insure a 2007 30' vs to insure a new 2015 30' is identical (within a few bucks). The agent said it's because parts get more expensive as the RV gets older, so there is virtually no cost difference in the two scenarios. Something the dealers must be happy to hear!
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
We have worked for four and a half decades and I continue to work as a business owner but can do it remotely at least part of the time. We live in Texas where summer can be endured but not enjoyed. We were considering a cabin in Colorado until we looked at the price. We might have been able to afford a vacant lot with no water or electricity.

For the price of that empty lot that took 4WD to get to, we could buy a slightly used Eddie Bauer and a new 3/4 ton diesel truck to pull it and our Colorado cabin could follow us wherever we wanted to go! Yeah, the cabin in Colorado could be rented out when we weren't using it and they do tend to appreciate, except, of course when they depreciate and need major repairs because the renters trashed them or a water pipe froze.

In the end we bought the Eddie Bauer (for about $20k less than new) and the big truck and have had absolutely no buyer's remorse. As we were passing through Boulder on the way to Estes Park, a woman pulled up alongside and honked as she made the "roll down your window gesture." I feared that a tire had blown, but she just wanted to give us the "thumbs-up" gesture and yell, "Now, THATS the way to vacation!"

When we first lived together 44 years ago, it was first in a tiny travel trailer and later in a mobile-home, in a mobile home park. We have returned to our roots. We are trailer trash at heart, just very well educated, upper-class, aluminum, riveted trailer-trash! Two dogs, two people, and a huge country to explore in our Silver Grace.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
I'm obsessing about upgrading to a bigger AS. I full-time, so it would have a big impact on my daily life. But oh, the cost.

Do you think of it as an expense, as in: that purchase money is gone, or do you think of it as merely tying up that money for a time, since resale is relatively high?

How do you frame the decision for yourself?

thanks!

I'm not sure I justified the cost. I know I want to see the U.S. and Canada on my own schedule - to linger or not as I choose.

I know I enjoy being in different locations but always in my own bed.

We camp at an ocean site for our anniversary - right within sight of some $10,000,000 homes and I know I can have their exact view and experience for a fraction of a fraction of that cost - and then haul off to enjoy a multi million dollar mountain view, or prairie view, or whatever stunning view I can imagine - and in fact, can have all of them in time and not limit myself to just one of them.

I know life is short and I can't take any money with me.

I saved for decades and bought outright (I know financing would have been potentially smarter financially but I like knowing it's ours debt-free).

I sometimes think of the worst, lowest, most difficult times of my career and see how those moments ultimately got converted into the funding for this this amazing freedom rig. That just makes me smile. Can't imagine what that will feel like when I ultimately retire...

I'm definitely not looking at it as an investment. DW and I are going to use it til we can't and then we know which godchild and bride will get the rig when we're gone.

And we're enjoying the hell out of it while we can. Probably a bad "investment" but a brilliant, worthwhile expense that I only regret not doing sooner.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loden View Post
As we were passing through Boulder on the way to Estes Park, a woman pulled up alongside and honked as she made the "roll down your window gesture." I feared that a tire had blown, but she just wanted to give us the "thumbs-up" gesture and yell, "Now, THATS the way to vacation!"
I got a little nervous when I started reading this, as I live near Boulder. Glad is wasn't a person yelling at you for conspicuous consumption of diesel.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
You've all been so thoughtful, encouraging and helpful. I just put a deposit down on a 2015 30' International Sig. Thanks for helping me get to this point.

CJ at Desert Autoplex in AZ has been great to work with so far. Will try to keep this updated.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
jholder, reminds me of an uncle who lived next door. We would often go there for Sunday morning pancakes. I was just a kid then, but will always remember the Tahitian girl salt and pepper shakers on the table. Why Tahitian? Because my uncle always wanted to go to Tahiti.

I can still see my uncle sitting at the table with those salt and pepper shakers. How many cold winter mornings did he look at them and dream of Tahiti before he left for work? It would be in the thousands But when he retired, he was too ill with COPD to go. Those salt and pepper shakers were his only "Tahiti."

Darnnit all....people should be able to realize at least one big dream in their life.
Thanks for sharing this. Beautifully conveys the message. Loved it.
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
lbdesign, congrats on the decision to buy. Sounds like it will be a sweet rig and we wish you many years of happy travels.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #71
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Justifying is easy because the enjoyment return is so immense! We wasted way too many years not RVing and can't get that time back. Buy used if you can so the depreciation isn't so bad. It's a long term expense but will outlast most other brands. Like many have said, life is way too short. Get what you can afford and get on the road. Using the same logic to get a fishing boat soon. Thought it would be a tough sell to the wife, she said just get one big enough for the kids and grandkids...... Just do it.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Justifying is easy because the enjoyment return is so immense! We wasted way too many years not RVing and can't get that time back. Buy used if you can so the depreciation isn't so bad. It's a long term expense but will outlast most other brands. Like many have said, life is way too short. Get what you can afford and get on the road. Using the same logic to get a fishing boat soon. Thought it would be a tough sell to the wife, she said just get one big enough for the kids and grandkids...... Just do it.

The wife nailed that one on the head! My favorite (and sometimes less favorite) -and without a doubt most memorable memories growing up all revolved around either our RV (from the cramped Aljo TT to Alfa FW to the Aviob FW, trips in our close friends built like a tank "70 something Diplomat (apparently it was the most expensive Class A in its day sold), or each disaster of a trip in the motor home from hell (as a kid of course that was said h-e-double hockey sticks lol) 1980 something Travel Queen moho...those are the memories I remember most and always reminisce with family. The Travel Queen is to blame for my Class A obsession! Why we borrowed it after the first trip I'll never know...long story short once we nearly froze to death and once survived off one extension cord ran through a window...but to this day I remember how much fun I had on the way there (especially the return). As a kid there's nothing like navigating your way up and down the moho on the highway with a father and his lead foot...so if you like your family I say cost justified...(for a Moho at least....I hated being stuck in the back seat of a '94 suburban or later worse crew cab Sierra for up to a whole day...)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #73
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
You've all been so thoughtful, encouraging and helpful. I just put a deposit down on a 2015 30' International Sig. Thanks for helping me get to this point.

CJ at Desert Autoplex in AZ has been great to work with so far. Will try to keep this updated.

Congratulations!
Welcome to the fray.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #74
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
....The happiest days of boat ownership: The day you buy it, and the day you sell it. I'm looking at another happy day very soon. I will tell the wife first...
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Life is a never ending expense

I never liked to buy used as many of the used trailers or coaches have had dogs, or cats and are trashed inside.

the ducted air is a great advantage

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
... or the previous owner was a smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #77
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Life is a never ending expense

I never liked to buy used as many of the used trailers or coaches have had dogs, or cats and are trashed inside.

the ducted air is a great advantage

Earl

True that. Ours was pretty darn clean and straight though. Guess the previous owner kept it like new because of how much they invested in it. The super nice ones are out there if you look hard enough. Money we saved over new is why I can shop for a 22 ft. center console bay fishing boat. At least that's the excuse I gave the wife. If we ain't camping we will be fishing, soon I hope.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I justified it this way.

I owned 2 SOB trailers before the AS. I spent 35k on the 2 together in 10 years and another 5k in repairs. Both trailers leaked and and had lots of water damage. One I repaired myself and the other one I let the insurance handle. After selling them I recouped 13k. So in 10 years I lost 22k. I was in the midst of purchasing another SOB for around 33K when I stumbled onto the AS. More than likely the new SOB would also likely be worthless after 10 years so projecting that in 20 years I would have spent around 55k for the trailers and received most likely less than 18k total in return after selling. If I continue that projection for another 10 yrs for a total 30 year period the cost of the AS starts to make sense.

I purchased a used AS that I have had now for 4 years. Yes it has depreciated, but I am not forced to purchase another one because they leaked. I have had more enjoyment from the AS than the others and have no intentions of purchasing another one in my lifetime if I can avoid it. Had I purchased the AS first I would have saved a lot of aggravation from first 2. In total I would have been cheaper than 3 SOB trailers and if I would have considered a 4th it is definitely less expensive.

The AS still can command a high resale price compared with any SOB. So if you decide to get out at one point you will be further ahead.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:43 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
This thread is I interesting.... I will add, if one has ever owned a big Moho, the Airstream cost is not that much. Total costs, everything, Moho = $3.25 per mile, Dodge Crewcab, 4x4, 2500 Cummins diesel plus new 2015 Serenity 30 RB = $1.75 per mile. This is total cost, based on a five year, 50,000 mile usage, then selling. Of course the cost drops significantly for the AS if one goes 10 years, 100,000 miles, down to about $1.00 per mile ....by my calculations.

Does this "justify" the cost...? For me, after justifying the Moho, of course!

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871 KM4LPO
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
We chose a new-to-us 1989 AS rig and had a few specific reasons, money was a factor but one that would not have affected buying new or used. We have owned a few RVs (mostly bought used) and have had experience with many RV systems repair/replacement as well as knowing when to let professionals take over. Not to be biased, but we had more issues with new units (Thor Industries) and dealers than with used rigs, lucky I guess. We looked at the new AS models at the Hershey, PA RV show this past Summer for post-retirement Texas "snowbird" application(me-retired/she-2 years till retired). Maybe we are too old (me-51/she-48) but the interiors were too "retro" and the aluminum inner liners reminded me of a combat aircraft w/o the waist guns, my wife said it reminded her of a sterile hospital room. We know they were display models, but they were also "Thor Industries" units and that also struck a nerve. We studied the Airforums site and shopped for a used model to refurbish as we had 2 years before our full-time/extended stay unit launch schedule would commence. Found one within an hour of travel from our home and while it was the first used one we visited physically, we (I) bought it. I don't recommend this tactic but we lucked out and while I checked it over thoroughly, still missed a spot of floor rot. However, after having an expert RV tech look the unit over, he said the unit appeared well maintained and the undercarriage was in great shape. I resealed the exterior and will later address the rotted floor piece (under street-side kitchen cabinet) which appeared to have resulted from an old leak as it was dry/crumbly. We paid $15k for the unit and are very happy with the purchase as we expected to replace the appliances and upgrade other systems from the start. We can also customize the unit to "our" tastes and in "our" timeframe even if we invested twice what we paid for the unit, we would be $$$ ahead over new. We don't think there is a perfect RV layout from the factory as you have to use them a bit to learn what you enjoy living with/without, every unit is different. With a decent used rig, you can use it while refitting it to your specific want/needs and if you find the lifestyle or trailer model/size doesn't work for you, change or upgrading doesn't impact as much financially as it would with a new unit. Airstreams are a timeless design and in our mind, one is only limited by their imagination. In a final note, my wife was diagnosed with cancer two days after we bought our unit and while highly treatable, it does bring forth the fact that life doesn't wait till your retirement portfolio is in order, get one now and enjoy life!!!
Good Luck,
James and Rebecca
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote