Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #61
Where to Next?

2017 25' International
Bellingham , Washington
What’s wrong with being honest?

I just tell them what we bought it for. If you don’t want to talk about finances (not that it’s top secret information or anything) just say that. This isn’t that complicated.

You don’t need to control their actions (by trying to persuade or deter them from buying an airstream).
ltownshend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #62
QE2
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Estacada , Oregon
It’s rude

I always feel that’s it’s slightly rude to ask someone how much something costs. I never answer the question directly. If they really wanted to know they can contact the dealer or check for sale adds. Sometimes I just say that they are really expensive and leave it at that. I don’t need to justify my purchase decisions to anyone.
QE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Divulging cost

I just say that our 2011 FC 30' at new, was MSRP'd at about 100 times as much as my first car - a 1964 VW Beetle, purchased in 1969.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #64
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
We are coming up on our fist year with our 2019, but our 11th RV in the past 26 years. We get the "how much is it?" question a lot. I am uncomfortable saying anything with a price (MSRP or the 25% off we got) so I just say that they appear expensive, but well worth it.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
St. Louis Park , Minnesota
Just very quickly respond, “I don’t remember.” What possible come back or follow up question could they say?
Skip Chell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Not just the AS. Folks see my solar rig and want to know what that costs... Now we've had a bunch of work done by Ultimate Airstreams and I'm sure they'll want to know what that cost... I get asked what my truck cost. To me it's a bit rude. Some folks like to brag about how much they spent on things. To me it's personal. I usually say "it cost more than a Jayco". If they press further, I say "I'd rather not say". If they press further I say "if you have to ask you can't afford it".

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Haven't been asked but I'd tell them if they did - not a big deal . . .
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quality

I tell them that my grandfather taught me that you buy quality once. And he had an Airstream.

Jim
MacCoroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
some would be able to say that they got their AS at NO COST! but not me!

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #70
1 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Santa Barbara , California
How much?

It cost me 2 paychecks...
Which leads to more prying, keep giving them rope...
How much is your paycheck??
Well that depends which month of the year...
More rope ... more stupid questions
Well what month did you buy it??
July. More rope...
And how much was your check in July?
(You have to decide for yourself when there's enough rope out there. Some folk need 3 feet and some 3 miles ain't enough!)
I'll drop the trap door here.
I don't know, I give all my checks to my wife.

Some people know the price of everything; but the value of nothing.
Alumillenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
St. Louis Park , Minnesota
Reply to questions of cost.

Quickly, directly, and simply respond, “I don’t remember.” What possible comeback or follow up question could they possibly pose?
Skip Chell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I get asked all the time. I just usually say "quite a bit." The most recent, a gentleman came up in a beat up van and no teeth and wanted to look inside. I kindly said no, it's a mess right now. Then he said I'm thinking of getting one of these, are they expensive? Now I guess he could have been a "millionaire next door" but I doubted it. I said yes, they are expensive. Then he said well give me a ballpark. I said over 100K...and he was agape....with no teeth. So I don't know what kind of ballpark he was thinking, but he finally walked off after that. I've never had anyone at a campground ask me.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I cannot recall anyone ever asking us how much our AS cost.

However it reminds me of a story. I decided to get into kayaking. I told my friend that I was looking for a kayak. He took me into the garage and sold me his skinny quite fast recreational kayak for $200. I then turned around and spent $1,000 on support equipment for that kayak. The AS cost like that.

or maybe this story.....

I was at the local gun club. A friend was shooting his $6,500 custom made Parazzi shot gun. We thought that was kind of expensive. He said, "Oh no. The shot gun is the least of the expense. I shoot competition. That means I shoot practice two or three times a week. I shoot 100 - 200 rounds each time. I travel to meets. I spend money on entry fees, travel, food, a new car and entertainment. It doesn't take very long before the cost of the gun is minor. " The AS cost like that.

We just met with the contractor about the garage. :-)
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
I apologize if this is a repeat of an answer, I didn’t read all the pages, but I’m asked this quite often and it always surprises me. Anyway I reply that I don’t remember (this is true) and tell them the information is readily available online. I travel with 3 cats and don’t generally allow anyone to look inside, I don’t want the cats to escape. Yeah, people can be quite cheeky.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
How much is an Airstream

Since we have a vintage trailer, I think it is important for folks to know the cost before they venture into a proper restoration. So I do tell them what it cost us for a proper from the ground up restoration. Sometimes I give them a linear foot cost, which ranges for materials and you do the work to hiring a professional. I also give them the range of new Airstreams. That could be an answer you could give. It’s easy enough to find out on line too. I don’t think folks need a snippy answer back. It is a different era about what you can ask or not.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #76
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
2008 25' Classic
FINDLAY , OH
Value

No one has asked me this yet, but I have been giving my response some thought. I believe it will be "More than I wanted to, but, less than I was willing to pay".

I too have heard, and believe the saying, "Buy the best and you will never be sorry".
ShadyBill47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
My wife and I have been looking at AS for some time now - 6 months. We have yet to decide exactly what we want, but are getting closer - this year yet or next spring for sure. Exciting process!

We let it slip that we were looking at an AS and boy did we get questions and envious looks.

"I thought they cost thousands of dollars," and we politely smile and say yes they likely do. "What do you need that for?," and we say because we can/do.

My grandmother would say to me sometimes, "Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies." A very wise person, missed dearly.

We all work hard for our money, it does not grow on trees or bushes - if you know where it does tell us we won't spill the beans - so how we spend it is one of our personal choices.

We have found the Airstream Forums members to be very helpful and the wealth and depth of knowledge invaluable.

Thank you to all who post in so many varied thread topics, it is truly priceless in terms of knowledge and hard earned wisdom.
Renascence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2002 25' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
La Quinta, N Barrington , CA & IL
I suggest they check Airstream.com for all the models and prices.
Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Monterey , California
If they are family or friends I tell them and then mention that my nephew spent almost as much on an SOB and after a few years is ready to junk it.
RosenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Really!!!

Every time I have been asked THAT question, the reply is the same: “You need to learn some manners.” — And direct them to the Internet. IF they are really interested they should track down the MSRP.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote