Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #161
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
I am sure there must be some circumstance where I would lend out my AS. Just haven't seen it yet. Ours is strictly a two person AS. We have taken everything thing out in the lounge area and put in two leather recliners and working on custom cabinetry. With a new grandson in July another in August and a grand daughter due in Sept....when they all visit I think I will be in the AS.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Years ago, I loaned my boat, (an 18' I/O) to some "good" friends who were going fishing at our house. It was full of fuel when they left the dock, and everything was working fine.
When they returned, the fuel tank was less that 1/8 full, and no offer of filling it.
A week later, I went fishing, and the outdrive "froze up". I was towed to a repair shop, when it was torn down, there was more than 75' of monofilament fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft, and ruined the seal.
Long story short, it was an $800.00 repair job.
Loan my Airstream, I might consider that the day after hell freezes over!
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #163
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Loan my Airstream, I might consider that the day after hell freezes over!
Not a chance.

With the way weather is changing, reports are that HELL is getting hotter.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #164
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
I love to share the Air Stream life style, but never would I let the Silver Gal go without me!!
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
My wife called me the other day while i was at work saying that a friend of hers wanted to rent our AS for $1,000 for one night and use it film some interviews. Before she could finish my NO response was already out. She said she knew the response before she even asked. So, I wondered why she asked....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
My wife called me the other day while i was at work saying that a friend of hers wanted to rent our AS for $1,000 for one night and use it film some interviews. Before she could finish my NO response was already out. She said she knew the response before she even asked. So, I wondered why she asked....
Hmmm...while I wouldn't loan mine out to friends, family or strangers for a trip, I would be tempted to consider a $1k fee to have someone film an interview in it (assuming its stationary and they're not taking it anywhere).

$1k would cover a lot of diesel :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I bought my TV a couple months ago - dodge RAM 2500 2010 diesel.....

My wife's good friend texted her asking if she and her husband could borrow the truck.

I JUST bought this thing and I barely know these folks to be honest...I said no. I would happily go with them and help them pick up something assuming it was not something crazy that would tear up my truck.

I am not even sure I would want to loan out my brand new truck to my own brother unless it was very necessary I guess.

I was rather surprised that the question was asked....

Boy do I sound stingy....oh well...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #168
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
No way, I used the AS 10x more than my poor husband and he even gets an earful of instructions every time we go together. Grandchildren not allowed to flush and I about keeled over when they discovered little rubber gun darts stuck nicely to inside walls when shot across the floor!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #169
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hmmm...while I wouldn't loan mine out to friends, family or strangers for a trip, I would be tempted to consider a $1k fee to have someone film an interview in it (assuming its stationary and they're not taking it anywhere).

$1k would cover a lot of diesel :-)
Well the interview was going to be in Mojave and driven up the day before, then returned the following day. I know there would be at least 2 people spending the night in it and they also wanted to borrow the generator to run the AC (sure sounds like a trip to me). Also, have you ever seen a home after a film crew finished a shoot? Friends of mine found out the hard way... He received a good fee but also lots of damage, scuff marks, and gouges after they finished up. He figured he came out ahead, but not by much. I figure the AS is a much tighter space and more prone to damage and harder to fix than drywall in a house. While the $1k would be nice gas money, loaning out my AS just isn't in the cards.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Well the interview was going to be in Mojave and driven up the day before, then returned the following day. I know there would be at least 2 people spending the night in it and they also wanted to borrow the generator to run the AC (sure sounds like a trip to me). Also, have you ever seen a home after a film crew finished a shoot? Friends of mine found out the hard way... He received a good fee but also lots of damage, scuff marks, and gouges after they finished up. He figured he came out ahead, but not by much. I figure the AS is a much tighter space and more prone to damage and harder to fix than drywall in a house. While the $1k would be nice gas money, loaning out my AS just isn't in the cards.
Excellent point. What the heck was I thinking!!!! Ok - one weak moment....I'm better now :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #171
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
$1000 "rental"?

No.

"Fulm" industry we new fad in the area a few years back... I had a friend who loaned his Caddy convertible to a "friend" for a "shoot". It was an impecable car.

The "director" had models dancing on trunk and back seats... Standing....in high heels.

He got his "fee".... A coupon for some meals at a local eatery.

The damage can never be "undone".

Oh, this was to be an "interview" for a music video!!!!!!!!

Uh, no way.....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
I wouldn't loan my
Airstream
Chainsaw
My Wife
And in that order!
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprvashon View Post
I wouldn't loan my
Airstream
Chainsaw
My Wife
And in that order!

Exactly - protect them in proportion to their ability to defend themselves in the face of idiocy.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Also, have you ever seen a home after a film crew finished a shoot? Friends of mine found out the hard way... He received a good fee but also lots of damage, scuff marks, and gouges after they finished up.
I work in a related industry. Always, always, always have a "make good everything" clause in your contract if you let a film crew into your home.

If they pass, move on.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Webspinner - LMAO!
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #176

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have to admit, I did actually loan out my AS to Pendleton company to display at the home show a few years ago, and it was a good experience. They took good care of my baby and protected it behind ropes on display, and repaid me with Pendleton blankets, which I still enjoy. So I did make ONE exception to my rule, but I was nervous about it the whole time! Turned out ok.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #177
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
in a word, no. if it were to be two words, the second one would still be no.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Smile So it comes around to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Interestingly enough, I'm in possession, with written permission, and also on the insurance, of a loaned Airstream.

My son is active duty military outside CONUS, and has left his trailer and TV here with me for safekeeping, storage, and upkeep for the next 3-5 years or so. Both items are his pride and joy. I get the burden of keeping his TV and AS in tip-top shape, pulling preventative maintenance, and making some improvements that he will pay for (eventually).

The important thing to realize is that he knows thoroughly that "dear ol' dad" is a PROVEN expert mechanic, woodworker, electrician, and general roustabout, and is also responsible enough to pay for what he breaks. We've been through stuff like this before.

Given that, I ask his permission before I move it from one storage slot to another, move it more than 30 feet on the road, and give him a full itinerary for any trip wife and I are planning. I also use my OWN TV instead of his, because of insurance--his TV is on a policy that allows very little annual mileage, even though I am on it.

Yes, its a heck of a responsibility, and fortunately I have the wherewithal to flat out buy it from him if he ever decides to sell it or I total it somehow on a trip.

I fully understand how much that aluminum ham-shack means to him, and he trusts me (to a point). As a family, we have camped in a lot of places, in tents, in a converted van, or with the Boy Scout troops all my sons were in. We're experienced campers and outdoors types.

Given all that, would either of us loan it to someone outside our family, or for that matter certain folks inside our immediate family--the answer is a resounding "Hell NO". And this includes his siblings...

It's an Airstream thing--please go buy/rent your own.
Sigh. So things changed a bit with son's home situation, and for one reason or another, now I'm the new registered owner of the above TV and Airstream (and a lot lighter in the wallet, but that is yet another story). But the loan answer remains the same--no way it gets loaned. It stays in the family and still gets well taken care of by dear ol' dad...I guess aluminumitis is actually hereditary.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:03 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My son has mine at deer camp right now... Over a thousand miles from me....

I have insurance for anything big, and I can fix anything small...

It was meant to get used, so it is.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
This thread caught my eye, and after reviewing the OP, I could not resist a comment. In my past life I was considered an expert on human behavior, and the idea of someone who is not an extremely close relative or friend even bringing this question up suggests such a strong sense of entitlement, thinking one might "loan" an RV reminded me of Narcissus who was in love with his reflection in the water, fell in and drowned.

Now, another part of me, the smarty pants one, suggests I might say yes to loaning out my new trailer, and then state the rate is so high, however, it is less expensive to go to a Hamton Inn.

A do think when a child is serving in the military, it is so very thoughtful for a parent to accept the responsibility of caring for an Airstream and TV. My sincere wishes for your son's safe return.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote