Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am love love loving the helinox

As is iggy walker - their family have 3 or 4 of them

They are not per se "wobbly" once you settle into one - but they have a bit of flex to them

We absolutely love them for the beach now because they reduce bulk/weight and I am consistently finding situations to pack this chair

I went on a kayak trip here recently - brought it and when eating lunch - enjoyed sitting back in the chair

The kermits look fantastic as well - perhaps a little bit more weighty compared to helinox but overall apples and oranges

So far - my cords are holding up - but that is a concern

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #492
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Tucson , Arizona
GCI Pico Telescoping Chairs - Compact, Strong, Amazing

We love these things....they can be a little troublesome in the sand, but they "scrunch" down to the smallest package and are strong, strong when setup.

I love all GCI products.

Amazon.com : GCI Outdoor Pico Arm Chair, Navy : Camping Chairs : Sports & Outdoors

Old 08-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #493
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've had 4 of the Pico's for just over 4 years and REALLY like them. And, if you are going to your grandkid's soccer game, their portability cannot be beat. Briefcase size and a terrific carrying case. My only caution: do NOT let people rock back on the two rear legs. Chairs aren't designed for asymmetric weight distribution.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #494
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well - hate to report it but the Strongbacks we loved so much (GREAT lumbar support) just haven't held up well. One popped a rivet a few months after we had it. No biggie - we bought them at LL Bean and they really mean 100% satisfaction guaranteed. We exchanged it for another and have used them all year. Til last weekend - 2 popped rivets on the original one. Talked with LL Bean - they agreed to take them both back for a full refund (some 14 months post purchase...that says a lot about the value of buying from them!).

Ordered a pair of Kermits with leg extensions we expect to receive next week. Will report back. Taking it on faith (weren't able to test them in advance) but I actually talked with Tom the owner and he's had his for over 20 years (and he's only owned the company for 12 years) so fingers crossed!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #495
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Zip Dee is having a special on some chair colors and I bought 2 extras. Only wish they made a tote bag to carry them.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #496
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Steve & Sue

I agee with you regarding the Strongback chairs. Very very confortable however like yours it did not hold up well. It also popped a rivet. It was over a year old maybe two years old. I was able to replace the rivet with a long nut and bolt and so far ithas held up well. I only wish I had bought them from LL bean and I could have returned it but no such luck
Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #497
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Camp Chair Mulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Ordered a pair of Kermits with leg extensions we expect to receive next week. Will report back. Taking it on faith (weren't able to test them in advance) but I actually talked with Tom the owner and he's had his for over 20 years (and he's only owned the company for 12 years) so fingers crossed!

We broke down and did the same thing, going all in for chairs, leg extenders, cup-holders and embroidering them "Casa Rocinante." We figured spending all that money once was better than spending $50+ every year as our existing "good"chairs break or become uncomfortable. Lots of folks with these chairs say they've had them a decade or more. Sorta like some travel trailer brands We know of.

The web site says they are 3 weeks behind on orders due to high volume, and with adding the embroidery we'll have to wait another week on top of that.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #498
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We had ours embroidered with Tin Goat (our rig's name). UPS says we should have them by Thursday. Can't wait!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #499
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Kermis have long been a staple for the BMW motorcycle rally crowd. I know lots of riders who have had them for years. You will not be disappointed in the quality.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #500
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Cool - tell us how the Kermit chair goes for you!

I'll be in Destin FL this weekend through most of next week enjoying among many things - chillin in our chairs

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #501
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
The Kermit Chair is the bees knees man

I'm 6'6" 320 lbs and my wife and I do remote rafting and flyfishing trips in arctic NW or SW (Bristol Bay) each Fall. We were travel nurses for ten years, spending three years in Alaska, primarily arctic NW Alaska. We have been doing these remote float trips since 2003.

Bush plane fly in with all our gear, which we fly up from NC. From Anchorage to some hub town, or village. Then a 2-3 seater bush plane 50-100 miles away from that hub town.

Point being, gear weight and bulk are huge issues as we have to take all gear, raft, rowing frame, oars, guns, fly rods, food, tent, clothes, etc with us. 5,000 miles. The chair is 7 lbs as I recall and breaks down very small if needed. Easy to assemble. We leave them assembled and just fold them once getting to river of course.

We float 80-120 miles typically, just fly fishing and camping our way down river. I got so tired of breaking cheap folding camp chairs. They were disposable, patched up several times with para cord and/or duct tape, usually halfway through our 7-14 day floats.

Finally heard of Kermit Chairs about six years ago. Godsend. That's the word. We have taken ours on various trips to Alaska, and tent camping closer to home. Ours still look brand new. He even threw in a repair kit for all metal parts that could be lost after hearing of our usage, but have not needed it.

We did buy, and suggest, the aluminum leg extenders. Unless you are short. Amazing product made by a one man operation as I can tell, top quality craftsmanship and materials. He's in Tennesse.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #502
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Broken rivets on the strongbacks and the chairs can be easily repaired. We always have issues with all kinds of chairs and we have been using steel wire or even zip ties to extend their life...
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #503
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizt1011 View Post
We love these things....they can be a little troublesome in the sand, but they "scrunch" down to the smallest package and are strong, strong when setup.

I love all GCI products.

Amazon.com : GCI Outdoor Pico Arm Chair, Navy : Camping Chairs : Sports & Outdoors

Junk!!

Has been my experience I should say. Bought various chairs, two camp tables, among other small item. The only thing GCI makes that I recommend are the aluminum dutch ovens, and cases. We own three for our tent camping locally and remote trips in Alaska and they are great. The tables and chairs we bought looked quality, aluminum slats for example on tables. But plastic joints and pot metal connectors that snapped with light use were what put them in the trash.

The only decent quality folding cheap camp chairs we ever found were the heavier duty offerings from Travel Chair. About $40-45/each as I recall. Their tables suck for same reasons as GCI though.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #504
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Good news, everyone! Just got notice that our Kermit chair order went out today and should arrive in one week. Looking forward to the blessed event.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote