Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
No matter what sort of coach one is considering, spending some time in it pretending to do various tasks is good advice. Don't forget to "watch" television. More than one person has traded coaches because they got tired of sitting sideways to watch the tv.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rather than trade Airstreams to watch tv many, many of us have simple traded seating arrangements in the Airstreams we have. Often there s only one or two features that we don't like so we just customize it to suit us. Good way to get exactly what you want in your otherwise favorite model.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to the many comments about seeing the various models in person being the way to go, especially with the Seattle dealer being so close to home.

If you are interested in the smaller Airstreams, the Flying Cloud 20' has packed many great features into a single-axle unit, including:

-- dry bath with stall shower
-- great L-shaped galley with 2 sinks, propane gas oven (when ordered vs. convection microwave)
-- decent fridge/freezer
-- lots of overhead storage
-- dinette convertible to bed

Obviously in 20' there will be compromises, the main one being the small front double bed. It is surrounded by quite a bit of wall space, however, so that its width is functionally wider than a free-standing double bed would be. Hopefully the dealer you visit will have this specific model in stock. [edit see link below for Patrick Botticelli's FC20 tour from Colonial.]

The following 20-footers thread contains lots of good discussion, starting especially in the earlier posts:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html

You may want a longer trailer, but good luck in your hunt!

Peter

PS -- Click on 20' in the drop down menu here for the floor plan:

http://www.airstream.com/travel-trai...pecifications/

PS2 -- Edit -- Patrick Bottacelli's tour of a FC20 from Colonial follows. You can hit the Play button here, or click on the link at the top for better YouTube options like full-screen viewing etc.:

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- missed the edit time window -- the best feature of the Flying Cloud line IMO are the windows which are hinged on the top and open really wide, shed rain well, and have full screens for great ventilation in hot weather. Perfect for boondocking when there is no line voltage for the air conditioning (or hooking up a genset).

No matter what model you want, please pay attention to the windows. Many other new models have large fixed glass widows with dinky little slide-open windows under the fixed glass. Forget about using these trailers in hot weather unless you have the air conditioning on. A real pain in the glass!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
In 1980, Wade Thompson and Peter Orthwein founded Thor Industries when they purchased Airstream. -- snip -- I think AS was in some financial difficulty at that time and these two saved it. -- snip --:
When we took the factory tour in JC they said that AS loaned the folks money to allow them to purchase AS. Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought that's what we were told. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #26
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
Large opening windows. Got it. I would not have thought of that when at the dealer. I will now! Thanks!
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #27
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Just to nit pick, the 27' models are 28' long and the 28' models are 27' 11" long.

Take time to look at the same model with both twin beds and the larger single mattress. Note that the Flying Cloud and Classic trim lines have twin bed floor plans in the literature. The International trim lines have been seen with twin beds for an amazing uncharge $$$$$. There is more storage with the twin beds with outside access on both sides and the front or rear depending on the bed location. In some models, there could be a roof locker over the window and a hanging locker at the foot of the bed.

As a heads up, the 28' foot, 23FB and 30' Bunk models allow the main door to open across one of the dinette windows or bed room window. If the window were open, broken glass could result.

Look at the black plumbing for the waste disposal. Sone models have the valves protected inside the tank box and others have them exposed to the weather. The exposed valves could need to be wrapped with a heat tape and insulation if the unit is used in cold weather.

Check to see if the 19' and 23D model actually have the toilet angled to the wall like in the literature. Ours was straight out and the user's left knee makes closing the door difficult. Also sit on the throne in every unit to be sure there is adequate room for knees and maneuvering.

Look under the kitchen sink to see where the water filter is located. Are your arms long enough to reach in and swap out the filter?

As you narrow your choices on the floor plans, start opening hatches to see where the water pump is located and valves for the outside shower are located. Test the furnace to see if hot air actually comes out of every duct.

Spend several hours in each model. Sit at the dinette and look towards the television. If your head is turned, will that be comfortable for a long viewing period? On some you might have to sit cross wise on the the seat to see the television. Is that comfortable for your legs? The cushions on the furniture are not known for their padding, so are they comfortable for an hour or so? If not, the insides can be replaced with better materials.

Try the mattress for comfort. On the cross frame bed (25FB) model, sit up in bed and see if you hit your head on the roof locker. Can you put stuff in the locker without climbing on the bed? Visualize how you will put on a mattress pad, sheets and blanket. On some models, being a contortionist will help. :roll eyes:

We have both a 23D and a twin bed 31' Classic. Making the bed is a challenge in both models. Many folks change out their mattress for better ones. We went with the Rocky Mountain mattress company (send the drawing for the custom shape) and put their 8" model in both our 25FB and the Classic. Airstream's 600,thread custom sheets fit the 8" mattress just fine. We put a 10" in the 23D and got the bedding from Rocky Mountain. Their top sheet has a fitted pocket at the bottom of the top sheet so it does not pull out when sleeping.

Look at each model as a clean slate for you to customize to your specific camping needs.

Starting in 2015, the Classics lost their unique interior and now look more like a glorified International model which cut a lot of cost out of building the trailer and at the same time they raised the price over 25%.
Wow! a ton of good info. When I go shopping I'm taking this with me!
Thx,
Chris
Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
J
Starting in 2015, the Classics lost their unique interior and now look more like a glorified International model which cut a lot of cost out of building the trailer and at the same time they raised the price over 25%.
I don't have a new Classic, but I really don't think that is an accurate picture of what AS did. While they got rid of the upholstered headliner and mousefur walls, the new Classic still has solid wood cabinetry (now cherry instead of hickory), all Corian countertops and table, day/night window treatments unique to the Classic, more upscale range & fridge, power recliners, power stabilizers, power dinette table raise/lower, 16" wheels and Michelin tires, all stainless exterior vent/appliance doors, unique flooring, etc.

While the style may not be your thing, there is obviously significant added cost over the FC and International models as well as the "old style" Classic. The only thing the Classic has in common with the International is the interior shell, water heater, furnace and AC. Almost everything else is different (and probably more expensive). Seems pretty clear to me where the money went.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #29
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
It is hard not to take a comment like: "Starting in 2015, the Classics lost their unique interior and now look more like a glorified International model which cut a lot of cost out of building the trailer and at the same time they raised the price over 25%" -- somewhat personally (since I own one). I did have a 2012 28' International CCD so I know of what I am speaking. The only major interior similarity to the International is lots of aluminum and windows. Other than that, the changes are too numerous to mention. About all that's the same fixture-wise is the toilets are the same. And, the A/C units. Other than that, every cabinet, every appliance is different --and dare I say, "better" or with "higher output." I do understand the loss that some folks felt with mouse fur walls, striped cabinetry, pinch pleated curtains, carpeting. But, if you wanted high quality Villa RV furniture, electric recliners, electric stabilizers, Corian countertops, hardwood cherry cabinetry, brushed nickel faucetry, etc., etc., then the newer Classic fills the block. I guess somebody got it right, because many of us who ordered them waited up to 6 months to get one. In terms of the price? Remember the words of Oscar Wilde: "cynics know the price of everything and the value of nothing."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2261.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	255946  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We love the new Classic, absolutely gorgeous, beautifully coordinated design. Using the mirror-like interior riveted aluminum is genius, you don't look at the walls you look into them. You know you're in an Airstream.

I wish we had a use for this size. If they extend this design to the mid-range Airstream size (25-28) in a rear queen bed model with the power reclining sofa in front we'll be in trouble, it may be too perfect to refuse.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Being in the same situation, I found that youtube was very helpful. There are several dealers that have extensive videos there that explain nearly all of the AS. Looking on Colonial Airstream, NJ, website, gives a lot of pictures of almost all of the models. Very helpful to me. There is even a video on YT that explains the difference between the 25 front and 25 rear bed. Most of the difference in the Serenity, Signature and Flying Cloud is cosmetic but FC does offer more floor plans. Good luck.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #32
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
One of the features that we did not figure out until we did a look back at the layouts. The front door models are suicide hinged. The rear doors blow closed. Believe the only issue is a need to lock the door when moving the trailer. There was a post that clarified some front door configurations do swing closed. Not sure which ones those would be. We had the reverse problem at one park. The wind hitting the back of the trailer from the Sacramento river was almost too strong to get the door closed. Really had to be careful it did not spring open in an uncontrolled slam against the side of the trailer. You makes your choice and deal with it. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherb View Post
Large opening windows. Got it. I would not have thought of that when at the dealer. I will now! Thanks!
Wondering if you have had time to check out the various models at the dealer?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS -- missed the edit time window -- the best feature of the Flying Cloud line IMO are the windows which are hinged on the top and open really wide, shed rain well, and have full screens for great ventilation in hot weather. Perfect for boondocking when there is no line voltage for the air conditioning (or hooking up a genset).

No matter what model you want, please pay attention to the windows. Many other new models have large fixed glass widows with dinky little slide-open windows under the fixed glass. Forget about using these trailers in hot weather unless you have the air conditioning on. A real pain in the glass!

I believe the "sliders" are only on the "Sport" models; not on FC and above.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
One thing that has not been mentioned about the Classic is the weight. We have a 2007 Classic 27' FB Limited. With all the hardwood and other upgraded items, the Classics are heavier than their similar length brothers. To handle this extra weight, the Classic has a heavier frame, at least that is what I was told. We are very happy with our AS however.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #36
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you have had time to check out the various models at the dealer?

Thanks
Hi and sorry for the slow response. I have not. We plan to visit AirstreamNW in March. Will be attending the Seattle RV Show next Thursday, Feb. 11. I don't expect to see Airstream's there as they've not been represented in the past but will enjoy viewing the (weak) competition. I am familiar with general RV construction and materials....
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
AirstreamsNW were at the Portland RV expo last year, so maybe you will see them at your local expo!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Dear Chris,

Welcome to Air Forums. I hope you find what's right for you; after having bought a 5th wheel from Poulsbo RV & found it lacking, the AS has proven right for us.

Others have talked about models & their differences, so I won't, other than to say that we looked heavily at the Internet & then spent several hours, twice, shopping at our local AS dealer: AS Adventures NW, in Covington. As a fellow NWer, I'd like to mention our experience there.

Our salesman was luke-warm; he'd answer our questions & take us on tours of the various models, but that was about it. He sent us Emails that were unedited & misspelled our names. Adequate, but over the phone & in person with other sales people at other dealerships, we met others who were far more outgoing, informative, & helpful.

After two shopping visits, we got down to cost, and he gave us what he said was their "no negotiating, best cash price." I thought it was excessive, so I began calling dealerships from Colonial, in NJ, across the midwest, and in CA and the SW, everyone of which gave me a better price, by at least several thousand. The best price I got was from Toscano RV (mentioned in an Email above), in Los Banos (south of San Jose & west of Merced): exactly $7,000 less that Adventures NW. Furthermore, their salesman was simply suberb, all information & personal experience & no hard sell --- he actually listened to us, took our questions seriously, & answered them completely --- amazing! From my own experience, I can't recommend them too highly; we simply had no negatives about either its salesman or its manager.

Another issue for you & me as WA residents is sales tax, collected in both WA & CA, although the CA sales tax is slightly lower, typically 8.5% as opposed to typically 9.5% in WA. So if you buy in CA, you pay their sales tax & when you register in WA, you get a credit for CA sales tax paid & pay WA the difference (for example, 1%).

We traded in our 5th wheel in our purchase of the AS. If you are thinking of a trade-in, too, Toscano was remarkably generous in its trade-in price, & there are some quirks re the difference between CA & WA sales tax collection on a trade-in that you should be aware of. Bottom line: we paid Toscano $600 to drive the trailer to Reno so we could take delivery of the AS in NV, a no-sales tax state, to avoid having to pay sales tax in CA on the trade-in value, as WA sales tax is calculated only on the difference between purchase price & trade-in value, while CA sales tax is calculated on the full purchase price alone.

Lastly, last year, we missed the Seattle RV show but attended the Tacoma RV show, & AS Adventures NW was there, so I wouldn't be surprised if you find them at the Seattle show, too.

Good luck with your quest.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #39
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Thanks so much for the great advice. When we purchased our Tiffin diesel pusher we visited Poulsbo and quickly learned that they were not remotely price competitive. We consulted the Tiffin owners forum for advice and ended up purchasing the coach from a dealer in Mississippi. So we are no strangers to traveling great distances in order to save a significant amount of money!! If we decide that AS is the right choice we will most definitely visit Los Banos. We lived in the Bay area for 20 years so I am quite familiar with the area. Do you recall your salesman's name?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Dear Chris,

Welcome to Air Forums. I hope you find what's right for you; after having bought a 5th wheel from Poulsbo RV & found it lacking, the AS has proven right for us.

Others have talked about models & their differences, so I won't, other than to say that we looked heavily at the Internet & then spent several hours, twice, shopping at our local AS dealer: AS Adventures NW, in Covington. As a fellow NWer, I'd like to mention our experience there.

Our salesman was luke-warm; he'd answer our questions & take us on tours of the various models, but that was about it. He sent us Emails that were unedited & misspelled our names. Adequate, but over the phone & in person with other sales people at other dealerships, we met others who were far more outgoing, informative, & helpful.

After two shopping visits, we got down to cost, and he gave us what he said was their "no negotiating, best cash price." I thought it was excessive, so I began calling dealerships from Colonial, in NJ, across the midwest, and in CA and the SW, everyone of which gave me a better price, by at least several thousand. The best price I got was from Toscano RV (mentioned in an Email above), in Los Banos (south of San Jose & west of Merced): exactly $7,000 less that Adventures NW. Furthermore, their salesman was simply suberb, all information & personal experience & no hard sell --- he actually listened to us, took our questions seriously, & answered them completely --- amazing! From my own experience, I can't recommend them too highly; we simply had no negatives about either its salesman or its manager.

Another issue for you & me as WA residents is sales tax, collected in both WA & CA, although the CA sales tax is slightly lower, typically 8.5% as opposed to typically 9.5% in WA. So if you buy in CA, you pay their sales tax & when you register in WA, you get a credit for CA sales tax paid & pay WA the difference (for example, 1%).

We traded in our 5th wheel in our purchase of the AS. If you are thinking of a trade-in, too, Toscano was remarkably generous in its trade-in price, & there are some quirks re the difference between CA & WA sales tax collection on a trade-in that you should be aware of. Bottom line: we paid Toscano $600 to drive the trailer to Reno so we could take delivery of the AS in NV, a no-sales tax state, to avoid having to pay sales tax in CA on the trade-in value, as WA sales tax is calculated only on the difference between purchase price & trade-in value, while CA sales tax is calculated on the full purchase price alone.

Lastly, last year, we missed the Seattle RV show but attended the Tacoma RV show, & AS Adventures NW was there, so I wouldn't be surprised if you find them at the Seattle show, too.

Good luck with your quest.
Just to put it into perspective, when we were "looking" in April, 2014, we also heard great things about Toscano. The salesman we had, was very knowledgeable, helpful, patient, and also gave us one heck of a bottom line price on a 25' FC Rear Twin, so we reserved our unit with deposit. We then called back AS Adventures in Fairfield by Sacramento as they said they would "not be undersold"....at first they said they would get back with me but a week went by; then they did call back and were a little lower in final price, but they had the model with front Twin, which also included full awning package and 1500 W inverter with their pricing; they were a bit pushy to take the deal, as I recall. We decided we wanted the front Twin however, and went with them. (Had to take delivery in Nevada also, $600, to register in MT, where we have a place.) I really liked dealing with Toscano and will call them again when we are ready. AS Adventures won our business on pricing, but they have emphasized since, that I got the "deal of the century!" which was only 22.5% off list. It pays to "shop around " for sure with the new prices and make sure you get the quotes in writting. If I lived closer to Colonial, or if I could get the best deal there, I would go there...I like Patrick and his crew, and they have helped me out a few times with questions and also shipping AS parts when I have had a need.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote