Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #41
Casual camper

2015 28' International
Selbyville , Delaware
WE just bought our 2nd Airstream this past May. Our first Airstream was a 2000 Excella. It was a dream of mine(life long camper) to own an Airstream. I had seen them on the road and in campgrounds a few times. They always left me in AWE. Like it's been said before, I followed my dream but did some research also. I found that they hold their value. I sold my 2000 for a couple thousand less than I bought it 6 years earlier. No other trailer holds it's value like an Airstream. All trailers and their innards break over time. You can fix an Airstream. Bottom line is, I'm living the DREAM. Everyone should be so lucky.
Mikem1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #42
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
As others have noted, we like the bright, airy, spacious feel and loved the CCD interior. We switched away from a motor home to a trailer to ensure we'd never have to manage more than one drive train. See our About page for more on why we went with an Airstream: http://www.casarocinante.com/About

BTW, we're under no illusions - after owning Rocinante for 1.5 years, we're on a first name basis with our dealer's service department. We're still ironing out the last few warranty issues, but the volume is much lower at this point. Thus far none of the issues have precluded camping - they were just annoyances, easily resolved.

Last remaining big ticket item is the tank sensors, which have never worked right, and which many here tell us may never do so. Still, while it's under warranty we'll keep being a flea, annoying them about it constantly and costing them money until either they resolve it or the warranty runs out.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #43
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Oh ya I forgot about those campgrounds that have the ten year rule. Are Airstreams generally given the pass to enter if they are older than 10 years? If you aren't allowed to enter, since most Airstreams look similar could you just tell them it's within 10 years? LOL. Is there a date on the trailer?

Take a nice picture to send them if requested. I prefer a three-quarters front view favoring curb side.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #44
Gordon

2014 30' International
Scarborough , Ontario
Here are a few thoughts from newbies who got their first AS this year, and it was our first travel trailer or RV - we'd had NO experience beforehand.
1. We joined WBCCI about 3 years ago, long before we bought a unit. The ideas and assistance that we got from Forums convinced us we needed the help! Maybe SOBs have something similar, but WBCCI really works and is invaluable for us.
2. Caravans - we did our first (taste of the Blue Ridge Parkway) last month. Cannot recommend this highly enough. What a great experience from every perspective. We're booking up more - this really is the way to go!
3. Comments - we have received so many complimentary comments both on the road - from truckers at traffic lights - and at home from neighbours passing by. Now that's a nice feeling!
4. And if there is another AS in the park you will be sure to be talking to them before the day is out. Instant friends.
Add all the other thoughts from the Forum and then we asked "why would we experiment with SOB?". It was a very easy decision!

I hope this helps. Now start the harder job of figuring out what length, which layout, which extras etc etc. it'll be a ton of fun and so worthwhile.
Best wishes!

Gordon Moore
Gmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
I bought a vintage Airstream for the same reason I bought a classic Rolls-Royce -- both are unique in their own way and both were on my bucket list. I wish I had done more homework before I bought either, because both can be frustrating to restore and maintain and, in the end, a money pit, but I would do it again (though maybe not buy exactly the same vehicles). Plus, both get a good bit of attention at gas stations, and you meet some interesting characters.
LanSluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We had a Big Foot 17' TT for 9 years. It was great. Canadian quality & good in cold weather. HOWEVER, DH always!!! wanted an AirStream. So... we now have a 23' AS. I honestly think the Big Foot was better quality from appliances to seat cushions. But what ya goin' to do? AS is cool.
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #47
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I seriously considered getting a new Oliver because it looked like the quality was there, it looked easy to pull, it had shock absorbers, it looked like there was better off-road clearance, it looked like the technology was up-to-date, and the price seemed right for what you were getting.

But, for half that price, I wound up going with a used Airstream because I liked the condition and quality of the unit we bought, the looks, the sense of community, the helpfulness of this forum, and the fact that there's an organized dealership system throughout the US.

And, shallow as it sounds, I like that it feels similar to when I road Harley Davidsons. People marvel and want to talk about an Airstream. There's a general consensus that you're travelling first-class.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #48
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Some background, my wife and I were already into overlanding and had an expedition rig already built. We loved to take long road trips cross country and into the backcountry offroad. Especially in the American west. We considered getting an offroad trailer, but then discovered we where having our first child.

We still wanted to travel, and I considered a few other travel trailer types. But a few reasons why I kept coming around to Airstreams.

For one, I kept seeing old ones still on the road. Some beautifully restored. You just don't find older trailers of other makes much. They're usually completely run down and ratty in 10 years.

Airstream trailers are modern without feeling like a poorly decorated 90's motel room. I don’t know how else to describe this one. Most of the RV’s we toured looked like my grandmothers house. I like my grandmother, but I don't want to live in her house. Wood everywhere, horrible floral print wallpaper, ugly color carpets, etc. The fact is, most are not designed with my age demographic in mind.

We wanted different. We wanted a space ship for Earth, not an almost-house. Many people are surprised with how modern and sleek the interior of our Airstream is. We love it.

Anther reason, WINDOWS, WINDOWS, WINDOWS and SKYLIGHTS!

A lot of newer Travel Trailers and RV's have windows, but they just don't have them the way an Airstream does. Fact is we almost never use lights during the day. Every TT or RV we looked at felt like a dark dingy cave inside which required you to turn on all the lights.

Another reason, the Airstream community. A few TT's have online forums, but they just don't have the community.

Aside from our adventure time in overlanding, I grew up a car guy. Hanging out in various car clubs and such. And Airstream ownership is very much like belonging to a club. Corvette guys hang out and talk about Corvettes. Airstreamers gather around the camp fire and talk about Airstreaming.

We recently stayed at Virginia Highland Airstream park, and it was a wonderful experience of what this community is all about and like in person.

We went full-time and have already made so many new friends just because we own an Airstream. In some ways, I feel if we had some other box, we probably wouldn't have made any new friends yet while on the road.

As far as claims about nothing tows like an Airstream, I concur 100%. I've towed a Prowler 24ft in the past, and some utility trailers. The Airstream just tows beautifully. Especially in wind. I won't pretend to say it isn't there, because IT IS, but the way it tracks and responds to wind is better than any box travel trailer.

They hold their value. They're iconic. Oddly on this point, if you don't like people pointing, stopping to look or taking pictures of your setup, don't buy an Airstream. It becomes common place. Recently at a stop next to a tour bus a bunch of asian tourist got out and started posing for pictures in front of our Airstream. It was hilarious to us.

And I think there is plenty of storage space. We are a family of four, FULL TIMING, and we fit just fine.

Those are most of my reasons.

Design and build quality are the two biggest for me.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRizzuti View Post
I seriously considered getting a new Oliver because it looked like the quality was there, it looked easy to pull, it had shock absorbers, it looked like there was better off-road clearance, it looked like the technology was up-to-date, and the price seemed right for what you were getting.

But, for half that price, I wound up going with a used Airstream because I liked the condition and quality of the unit we bought, the looks, the sense of community, the helpfulness of this forum, and the fact that there's an organized dealership system throughout the US.

And, shallow as it sounds, I like that it feels similar to when I road Harley Davidsons. People marvel and want to talk about an Airstream. There's a general consensus that you're travelling first-class.
There are many reason that we have an Airstream over other manufacturers. But probably the most important one is that it matches my vintage 17" MacBook Pro!

As a graphic designer, I love the lines and love the interior decor and airiness of our 2009 28' International Ocean Breeze, expecially on a cloudy day when it's still bright inside.

But pragmatically, when we decided that we would travel 5-6 months a year, we knew we needed to have an aerodynamic trailer with a good suspension, if for nothing else than for handling and the attendant safety that goes with it.

Finally, other than the afore-mentioned Harley Davidson (and maybe some muscle cars), it's hard to think of anything so unabashedly, iconically American.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	242774  
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
We have a 28' Airstream - I love it! I would never be able to live in it full-time, however. It just doesn't have the storage. We had a 36' diesel pusher motorhome w/3 slides - I could have lived in that (we never did). The A/S has such limited storage that we have been challenged, still have not gotten a generator, due to lack of storage. Who wants to lift a 100+lb. generator in and out of the trailer? Our truck has a tool box and not a shell, so generator is not safe from theft in the truckbed....That's just one storage problem. I have a campstove/grill that doesn't fit in the minimal exterior storage, so have to keep it inside in the closet, and it gets dirty and greasy! Most of the floorplans of A/S's aren't really that liveable either, who wants to sit and watch tv from a dinette or on a couch w/no place to put your feet up? If you're considering full-time, those are things to think about. If watching TV, one person can stretch out on the couch, but if there is a 2nd person, then what? Some people tear out the dinette and put in aftermarket recliners - but then you no longer have original interior if you're looking for long term investment/classic value.
The A/S is great for camping a couple weeks, but long term - NOT. I love our A/S, love the classic look, love the camaraderie of the WBCCI group and other airstreamers, etc...but I could never live in it full-time. If I were going to live in a trailer full-time, I'd get one of those huge fifth wheels.
CJ Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
My Baraldi is broken. Worked at delivery. The switch is fine, just the fan motor itself that doesn't spin. It turns on and makes a really cool buzzing sound though.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
There are many reason that we have an Airstream over other manufacturers. But probably the most important one is that it matches my vintage 17" MacBook Pro!
Many years ago I traveled with an iMac in our Airstream. At one campground wifi was only available in a common area lounge. As I was walking there, carrying my iMac, a passerby said "Oh you must be in the Airstream".
Old 07-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanSluder View Post
I bought a vintage Airstream for the same reason I bought a classic Rolls-Royce -- both are unique in their own way and both were on my bucket list. I wish I had done more homework before I bought either, because both can be frustrating to restore and maintain and, in the end, a money pit, but I would do it again (though maybe not buy exactly the same vehicles). Plus, both get a good bit of attention at gas stations, and you meet some interesting characters.

Do you tow the AS with the Rolls?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Try getting parts for the Baraldi.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
We wanted a trailer that could go in the out of the way places; National Forests, BLM etc. Had a new Casita two years. Great trailer, but I couldn't stand up in it, and the wet bath drove my wife nuts.
We got tired of looking at new trailers that already had moldings coming off, all sorts of inane things like fireplaces etc, etc.
Bought the new AS 23 FB in 2010 and now, five years later it has well over 120,000 miles on it with no problem EXCEPT corrosion. I wish they'd have been honest with me when I bought it about the need to keep it clean and waxed.
Now with the corrosion, a few dents, and other growing pains, we are even more comfortable with our wilderness camping. We've had the axle lowered, and put 15" Michelin tires on it.
No SOB could have taken the banging around we've put on our AS in Alaska, every province in Canada, and every state, avoiding RV parks like the plague.
I put corrosion X on the bad spots, watch for new ones, but not nearly as much as I used to. Our trailer is to be used, not admired. We love it.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I was in the market for a Winnebago View or similar then became disgusted over the price point used on such models. I began looking at trailers and was disappointed by the apparent drop in quality compared to motor homes. I heard about a new trailer coming to market, a Winnebago One. Went to the big Tampa Supershow and just so happened to meet a guy who was the VP of Winnebago at the time, now I think he is the big guy. Anyway, he steered me, a person who he qualified living in FL storing whatever in the sun all year, to be best served with an RV with a fiberglass or metal roof. He said that he knew of no trailers with such roofs and suggested a motorhome. I mentioned Galileo (all fiberglass) and Airstream. At that he said, "oh yes, but you will pay for that stream." He said the roof was the major concern.

My neighbor, a retired Airstream/Holiday Rambler dealer from New England told me that he always tried to size up his customer first on usage. If they were going to be doing extensive travel- Airstream, a sit and stay type- Holiday Rambler. He said that Airstream's primary benefits were for ongoing travel. Wind dynamics, no slides, easy clean, etc. That was his advice.

I took both mens' advice and bought used. I still wonder about the motorhome as my father also pushes that point of convenience versus the "extra work" he says. I would not classify an Airstream as a four season trailer. If that is important to you then I would look at something less expensive and more toward that usage.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I've admired Airstreams since I was a kid. I remember asking my Dad what the red numbers were for over 50 years ago. So it was inevitable that if I ever bought an RV of any kind that it would be an Airstream.

Another great attraction for me was the potential of owning one for free. I was involved in vintage Porsches for many years and I made money with the hobby as they were going up in value the entire time I was fooling around with them. I thought maybe I could do the same thing with an Airstream given that they are also iconic, well built and hold their value well. Also, I learned a bit messing with old Porsches and I figured I could probably work on an AS as well.

I think that is happening. I shopped carefully for over a year and was *very* fortunate to buy a '90 25' Excella in exceptional condition with very few road miles on it. The oven had never been used and overall wear was minimal. The PO had tinkered with it and had done a lot of sorting. That has continued under my watch and it appears that it's worth more than I paid for it a couple of years ago. Pretty neat to own an icon and maybe break even or make a few bucks with it. Although it is a bit academic as it's something my kids will have to worry about.

Cheers,
John

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. ~ Robert Frost
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #58
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
It's better than a Psychiatrist.....
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
The Airstreams don't smell of chemicals as did other trailer brands we checked out.
papegardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just visited the rating site you mentioned. The areas of concern are Support- dealer and manufacturer, value and quality. The only one I would even be concerned about is quality. I have dealt with dealers and that is pretty much an issue whatever the brand. Value just means it costs a lot. What specifically is a quality issue? That would be the question to me. Everything else is in the good category.