Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
What SOB will let you see two sunsets at once?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asawn.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	33986  
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up Just a unique experience

Having the opportunity to work in and around just about every type of RV out there, I was initially drawn to Airstreams after a friend bought a 2003 16CCD. Thought that it was rock solid, well built and very well designed. It looked like no other RV I had been in, and had a certain 'class' of it's own.

I full timed in a 40' Monaco Dynasty diesel and still do the majority of my work for owners of these huge rolling houses. They just can't believe that my 'Stream will fit in their living room, yet has just about everything that their $500,000+ coach has.

I always love the comments I get....especially 'they still make THOSE?!?!'

And the biggest benefit of all........the almost 20,000 new 'friends' that I've found on these Forums!!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Why Airstream

While I didn't realize it at the time, it may have been an attempt to recapture my youth. My first camping experience was when friends of my family invited me on short expedition in their brand new '64 Airstream Overlander International -- as a five year old the Hammock Bunks fascinated me and were indellibly etched into my memory.

My family would later try RVing but with far less remarkable vehciles -- 1969 SunWay 8.5' truck camper mounted on '69 C20 Chevrolet -- then a nightmarish tent on an aluminum trailer sold by Montgomery Wards -- finally a Coleman Minuteman. Once I was nearly through college the last disaster of a brand X coach was acquired when we purchased a brand new 1980 Nomad Light Weight Special 18'.

By 1995 I new that I had to have my own RV, and nothing else would do -- it had to be an Airstream with the large, comfortable rear bathroom, mid bedroom and front lounge. Looked for nearly 9 months before my Overlander found me. It was a short time later when I discovered that this trailer was actually the same coach that I had camped in as a five year old.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Why buy an Airstream?

Maybe it is.....

The timeless element in the design or is it the

Solid construction that will allow it to outlast 5 SOB's or the

Rich company history, they are truly an American Icon or the fact that

My dad always wanted one and never was able to get one or is it that

They tow fantastically, no... it mainly comes down to ....

They look so darn cool!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:14 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Well I have to say seeing it in the yard, we have a gravel drive my DH put in for the motorhome, the look is growing on me. But still it was the weight and well built issues that got us.
We towed a Saturn Vue, (FOR SALE now if anyone is looking) behind our motorhome and it never took us 20 min., I never really timed it as, it did not matter and as you say is important to do right.
I have to do part of the driving with our new AS and have to say I am nervous, sure I can drive down a straight road, but passing makes me faint just thinking about it.
Lewster, interesting you fulltimed in a 40' and now have a airstream. We did not full time but had a 40' Foretravel. It was just so much work for my DH keeping all the parts working, something was always broke. When we sold it the folks had to replace a fuel line on the way home. For that reason we downsized away from a motorhome to our 99 excella.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Funny

I just had this question asked to me this weekend at the campground. This nice young family walked over and started the usual talk how old is it, do they still make them, where can you get one and why did ya want a Airstream. First of all I told the man it's 32 years old how many more do you see out here this weekend that are that old, next I like the retro look.

Now I really wanted to say: It does not look like these other 80 cracker boxes sitting here (sob)

He also told me they had bought a new trailer last year (sob) and pulled it one time on vacation and it caught on fire and burned electrical short. Insurance paid for another (after a lawyer) They pulled it twice and then started having alllll kinds of problems. Now they are on there 3rd trailer in 1 year and are tired of camping (poor family)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
TOWABILITY!.......TOWABILITY!........TOWABILITY!

Airstreams tow so well. No sway, no push, no pull, no nothing. The ultimate in towable trailers.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey Bina,

There is truly nothing else like them...the sense of owning an American Icon is just wonderful...I sell the new ones everyday, but there is something about owning a vintage unit that is really great.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote