Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #41
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
But do they insist that the owner of the trailer have a US drivers license?

that's the snag I seem to be running into. Blue Sky might be okay, I am waiting for an answer.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #42
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Well, if any of you are interested, my perseverance seems to have paid off. We had some unique issues, since we live outside the USA, but I finally found an insurance broker who understands RVs and we are pretty happy. He also found us the insurance we wanted, at about $ 500 less than the guys who spend all the money advertising on TV. Hey, those multi million dollar Geico, Progressive, and Allstate ad campaigns are being paid for by the customer in the end, aren't they? your premiums are hiring cavemen actors?

Anyhow, I wanted to suggest that even if you thought you were happy with your insurance, check out Overland Insurance in Scottsdale, at
RV Insurance Quote From Overland Insurance | RV Insurance | Motorhomes, Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels

I checked them out online, did some research on Triumphe Insurance, etc. Looks legit. Good ratings.

Full replacement policy for the first five years, and then the original purchase price from then on. MUCH better deal for new trailer owners, I think. State Farm couldn't come close. A five year old trailer totalled with State Farm, $ 38,000 pay off. Same trailer with these guys...a new trailer. Six year old trailer with State Farm, about 30K. With these guys, my original purchase price, $ 64K. Big difference. Also some built in liability, etc. the usual.

Check it out. Doesn't cost anything to get a quote online and compare the price, and coverage, to what you have now.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
... We had some unique issues, since we live outside the USA....
I live outside the USA, I'm not even an American citizen... I'm Danish,
and I do not have an American drivers license.

Insured my MH with Progressive, as owner and driver. No problem.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #44
one of those

2011 27 FB International
No, I didn't have a problem either, if I wanted to pay $ 600 more for similar coverage. I am paying a surcharge for the non-USA license, too. that seems to be standard.

Here's a direct quote from a sales guy at Progressive:

(quote) "The way that the system is set up, there is an automatic surcharge added to the policy when a foreign driver's license number is entered.

One of the reasons that the rate will change with a foreign driver's license is that the operator is less familiar with US driving requirements and less exposure to the traffic laws and regulations." (unquote)

Gosh. Been driving in the USA longer than he's been on the planet. 44 years driving in the USA, six years living overseas.
Guess I forgot everything I knew about driving.

Good thing Avis, Hertz, and Enterprise don't see it that way. No extra charges for a foreign license, but then what would THEY know about driving?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Well, if any of you are interested, my perseverance seems to have paid off. We had some unique issues, since we live outside the USA, but I finally found an insurance broker who understands RVs and we are pretty happy. He also found us the insurance we wanted, at about $ 500 less than the guys who spend all the money advertising on TV. Hey, those multi million dollar Geico, Progressive, and Allstate ad campaigns are being paid for by the customer in the end, aren't they? your premiums are hiring cavemen actors?
Same goes for most motor oils and gasoline, the customer is paying for all the advertising.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #46
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Same goes for most motor oils and gasoline, the customer is paying for all the advertising.

So true. I couldn't believe the Geico questionaire. It was like I was trying to renew a security clearance or something. I quit half way through it. I'm trying to insure a little camping trailer, not running for national office.

Not that this seems to be scrutinized all that much, either.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
I got my AS last week and called my insurace company which is American Family. They had no problem with us and were happy to cover us. I have a 1965 tradewind and it costs us $150.00 a year. That was based on the what I bought it for ($8000.00). If I want more coverage I need to have it apprasied. Which I will do as soon as I'm done cleaning her up. And she also said as long as I keep pictures updated and my receipts they will cover in an event.
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #48
one of those

2011 27 FB International
its nice to hear of so many people who are happy with their insurance fit. I'm trying to become one of those happy customers myself, come to think of it.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
Progressive - You have to call to be comfortable

I use State Farm for most stuff but I have a vehicle with Progressive for an odd reason. State Farm is pretty firm on not doing stuff outside the box and I felt a 1973 travel trailer would be a problem for them. So I went online with Progressive and they don't have Airstreams in their manufacturer's list so I picked "other." Never a good sign. I put a value into the box but wasn't comfortable that it would be honored. So I called a rep and she checked with the claims department and said the retail, with extras, was $15k. I was good with that. The rep also checked Craig's List while I was on the phone with her and said she was seeing $7,000 - $13,000 for these models.

Policy with roadside service was $246 for the year. $500 deductible.

No claims so I can't tell you what will actually occur but I hope that I'm fully covered (lots of trees at our place).

"You can get everything in life you want if you'll just help enough other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We pay $700.00 a year for a Foremost "full timers" policy. We've had some claims over the years, and they've always taken care of them with problems zero. The policy includes roadside service, and with a mo/ho, that's important.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a Progressive policy for our trailer, and were very impressed with a claim we had to make not too long ago for damages we incurred due to a blowout...we took it into the repair center on a Tuesday after the weekend when the blowout occurred...the adjustor was at the repair place on Wednesday, we had a check on Thursday... and we had our AS back and on the road in a week and 1 day. We had a disappearing deductible, too, so we paid nothing but the cost of new tires (which we would have done anyway)... By the way, we go to Mexico a couple of times a year, and the trailer is covered there without an additional rider. (I'm not sure if that's standard or if you have to ask for that.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have a Progressive policy for our trailer, and were very impressed with a claim we had to make not too long ago for damages we incurred due to a blowout...we took it into the repair center on a Tuesday after the weekend when the blowout occurred...the adjustor was at the repair place on Wednesday, we had a check on Thursday... and we had our AS back and on the road in a week and 1 day. We had a disappearing deductible, too, so we paid nothing but the cost of new tires (which we would have done anyway)... By the way, we go to Mexico a couple of times a year, and the trailer is covered there without an additional rider. (I'm not sure if that's standard or if you have to ask for that.)
Ditto for me. Fast claim service, $55K coverage for $475/year, $250 deduct which had "disappeared" to $188 at the time of my unfortunate modification to my end sections.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
By the way, we go to Mexico a couple of times a year, and the trailer is covered there without an additional rider. (I'm not sure if that's standard or if you have to ask for that.)
Must be standard as my policy had it and I didn't ask for it.

"You can get everything in life you want if you'll just help enough other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote