Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #323
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Back on the air...

I am back online, at least for right now. I am in between doses of pain meds, and can type more or less coherently. There is a drain hooked to the incision, it doesn't seem to be draining much. I still have a filter hooked up to catch the pieces of blood clots the docs are still thinking are kicking around. I am waiting for the infectious diseases doctor to come around to talk about how to care for this problem, and keep it from recurring. I really don't want to repeat this again anytime soon. Looks like my recovery has been set back by at least 6 weeks.
Thanks again to everyone that has responded with kind thoughts and well wishes, both virtual and financial. As far as an impromptu rally, maybe we can have a virtual rally when I get home again.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #324
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Good to hear from you Terry. Maybe we can do an inpromptu chat room rally while your still inbetween the med doses. Who's up for this?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #325
_

. , .
hi terry and welcome back...

i'm between morphine doses too. can i bum a hit?

random medical thoughts....

-mrsa, this is usually a hospital acquired infection and as the name suggests resistant to the best specific abx. don't be surprised if you aren't on antibiotics for weeks for this. the infectious disease guys are are like einsteins but they don't talk much....

-the drain, these typically stay in place a week or more in your situation, even a few drips a day it is useful and the opening prevents the re accumulation of fluids. unless the drain is in a location that could lead to more infections (near the poop hole for example) or if is was just placed for the surgical precedure. these issues could shorten or extend placement. dont' worry too much about the drain.

-the filter, and clots. well the best preventive for clots is activity or movement. gotta keep the blood flowing everywhere. avoid prolonged time in any one position. turning every hour is better than every 4. of course your injuries make that problematic. so expect the filter to stay awhile and don't be surprised if you are on anticoagulants during this time. i hope you do not smoke!

-why this set back happened. this is tricky. tissues heal at different rates (skin, bone, muscle, tendon, fascia, fat and so on) so while you do have hardware that is relatively solid from day one , the many layers around it aren't. the skin can look fine but the layers under it are greatly weakened UNTIL they have laid down lots of new fibers and collagen (french for glue) . so increased movement which is VERY important also places all the new tissues at risk for brake down.... it'a a balancing act. move it but not too much. for example arm exercise that boosts your heart rate is helpful and simple isometric contract/relax of your legs is too....but all day at the florida rally probably wasn't.

after the first 10 days or so the soft tissues are actually a little weaker than normal. at 2-3 weeks and on they get stronger. the bone is in a contant state of breakdown and growth around the hardware. the bones will still be rebuilding months from now.

it is very common to have the setback you've experienced, but that doesn't make it any easier.

hang in there.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #326
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
2air,

Thanks for the info. This is pretty much what we've been told. We are strong and will get through this with all the people praying for us and sending good thoughts our way.

Marie
Old 03-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #327
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi all.

Terry is doing well today and looking forward to going home, IV's and all. We are hoping for Monday, but the ortho guys say it's up to the Infectious Disease dudes. They will make the decision when they see the lst blood culture which should be done by Monday am.

We'll let you know when we do.

Marie
Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #328
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Marie - Thanks for the regular updates. Give Terry a hug from us - just not too near the mashed bits...

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #329
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Terry, 2air and I had a great but short stint in the chat room earlier today and I'm hoping it was good for Terry to have a couple so called "visitors" while he's going through this. We should do this more often as I hope it lifted his spirits. Let us know when he's up to another "visit."

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #330
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Terry and Marie, I hate to hear about the MRSA. Yes, 2air is right-on with his info. This happens more often than we'd like to believe, but it can be overcome. Now, onto the business of continued healing and helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
. . . So as a challenge to all of you who read this I've made a token transfer of $25 to Terry's PayPal account. You don't have to match this amount. But think of what you spent last month on coffee? Beer? Your Airstream?

Let's see what we can do to help our friend offset what will be staggering medical costs.

Send what you can.... and if you can't just send your best wishes.
Since tax season is upon us, I have another challenge. If you haven't filed yet, you will soon (can you tell what I'm doing this weekend? ). For those of you fortunate enough to recieve a refund check, how about sharing a portion of it with Terry and Marie.

If you have it in your heart, go ahead and share the wealth. The universe has a way of bringing it back around to you again and again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I almost forgot, make it easy through the link Katzclaw created. Donate to help Overlander63

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #331
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Terry, 2air and I had a great but short stint in the chat room earlier today and I'm hoping it was good for Terry to have a couple so called "visitors" while he's going through this. We should do this more often as I hope it lifted his spirits. Let us know when he's up to another "visit."

Brad
FF
Brad, it was great to chat with you guys yesterday.
One of the Physical Therapy people that came in and cut our chat short helps fulltimers find ways to continue RV'ing when they suffer a disability.
The biggest challenge in a case like mine is to be able to get in and out of the trailer, and get down the long narrow hallways. She suggested a series of cleats for a handrail that I could hook into the cabinetry, and carry the handrails along when moving down the hallway. It would be very involved, and take some creative thinking to do, but if it turns out that I am more disabled than I want to believe, and permanently, it would be a way to continue camping.
The doctor this morning told me the IV anitbiotics would likely continue for about 2 more weeks, pending apporval from the infectious disease people.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #332
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Good Morning, Terry

So glad to hear (see) you're back online!!..hope you get your approval soon ..and that creative ways are in the works to keep the camping experience going for you..paula
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #333
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Back home again...

I just rolled in the door this evening at 9:30. We had to wait for the IV antibug stuff to show up, and head home. My Picc line is in, and worked for its first test at the hospital. It's been very eventful today, starting @6:45 with an intern explaining some things I am going to need to be doing over the next few months. (more about that in another post) I still have the filter installed for the blood clot, and my facial skin is drier than a desert in a drought.
Our dog will return to us again tomorrow, I am sure she will be happy to see us.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #334
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Brad, it was great to chat with you guys yesterday.
One of the Physical Therapy people that came in and cut our chat short helps fulltimers find ways to continue RV'ing when they suffer a disability.
The biggest challenge in a case like mine is to be able to get in and out of the trailer, and get down the long narrow hallways. She suggested a series of cleats for a handrail that I could hook into the cabinetry, and carry the handrails along when moving down the hallway. It would be very involved, and take some creative thinking to do, but if it turns out that I am more disabled than I want to believe, and permanently, it would be a way to continue camping.
The doctor this morning told me the IV anitbiotics would likely continue for about 2 more weeks, pending apporval from the infectious disease people.
Terry,

First glad to hear that you are home, home is always better. Second on the trailer mobility issue, I have some experience since my wife had a stroke in June, 2003 which severely affected her right side. The biggest challenge is up and down the entry stairs. On the Safari the rise is about 7", difficult when you cannot bend your knee much, I made plywood steps which go over the trailer steps and make four steps in place of the two, effectively reducing the rise to about 3 1/2". (I can post a picture if anyone wants.) It does take my assistance for her to go up and down the steps, but once inside it is not too difficult. The hallway is narrow and she can use the counter to brace herself coming out of the bathroom and uses a four legged cane to get back there. She is able to walk some with a hemi walker but it takes up too much room inside a small trailer, the cane although not stable for her takes up much less room and since there is either bed or counter on either side, if she loses her balance it is easy to recover without falling.

If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #335
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Welcome home Terry!

and try to stay out of the hospital.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #336
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Welcome home Terry!

and try to stay out of the hospital.

Michael
Amen to that!!!!!!!!!

1st IV at home is running now. No issues so far.

I am sooooo glad to be home and have Cookie back with us. I returned the van to Driftwood (user name for forum) and a public thank you for your generosity in loaning us the full equiped handicap van, and picked Cookie up from Terry's brother, and boy was she glad to come home, even though Lynn did a great job taking care of her.

Now, hopefully we can get back to, what is and has been for a couple of months, normal for us.

I go back to work tomorrow, yeah (sarcastic yeah), and will rely on home health nurses to assist with IV's.

Again, thank you to all who have helped with words of encouragement, good thoughts, and financial help. There is a special place in my heart for all of you.

Hey great idea forming. When Terry is all better, let's have a rally in Northern Florida or Rivercreek NC, and celebrate!!!!!!

Marie