Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: 30' Feels just right!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cracker
The 30' Excella, coupled to the longbed crew cab pickup, makes us 53' overall. I won't know until I have more over-the-road experience if that's going to be a problem. The many voices of experience keep telling me not to worry!
I too think that it will be a non issue. I'm at about 44' right now.....9' seems like a lot, but I don't think it will be an issue at all.

I've watched Roger tow his 34' love boat with his Excursion and he got that beast into a fairly tight spot.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Re: 30' Feels just right!

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

I too think that it will be a non issue. I'm at about 44' right now.....9' seems like a lot, but I don't think it will be an issue at all.

I've watched Roger tow his 34' love boat with his Excursion and he got that beast into a fairly tight spot.
We're about 53' with the Behemoth & the Excursion as well... I think it actually is easier to back than my 23' Safari attached to a 3/4 ton Ford Supercab longbed!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Plus you should have seen all the folks staring with blank looks on their faces with their mouths open when they saw him drive this galaxy class starship down the narrow road and squeeze it into the campsite.

It was an impressive site to witness.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325
I can't imagine what the difference is between hitching and unhitching your 30' Holiday, a 19' Bambi, a 25' Safari or a 34' Tri-axle.
I would say the difference is if you can store it on your property or not. In my neighborhood, storing a 25' is impossible but a Bambi would fit in the diveway. There is a neighbor that keeps his Bambi in his driveway and he takes it out 1-2 weekends a month. He can keep it stocked and ready to go.

But I have to bring my 25' home from the storage lot and wash her, dust her, and load her. I usually bring it home the week before to get her ready. Then after the trip, I have to unload and prepare her for storage. Too much work for 1-2 nights for me.

If I could store my trailer at my house, there would be no difference in getting away.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Truckers say the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. So my 30' Classic should be easier than my 25' Safari. I wonder? I'll let you know...

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I think that I must have hit it right going with my 28 footer.

As for backing, the longer the distance from ball to the axle the easier it is to manuver in reverse. Of cource there are limits to this too. I have about 20 years till retirement, and I have no idea as to what size trailer will work. I can't wait to see how small the 28 feet of my Ambassador will feel. I'm glad that it was set up as a double, for it has about two feet more "living room" up front. So when the twin conversion is complete, we should have the best of both worlds.

Now back to your regular thread.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
But since I cover my sofa, I did not want a leather one. I end up washing my sofa cover every week and could not imagine how dirty the sofa would get without.
We covered our cloth Safari sofa with a double bed fitted sheet. We got a nice pattern and it fit perfectly and hung on extremely well. When we sold the trailer the sofa looked like new.

We will probably cover the leather sofa also, unless company comes over. Even with it covered it has a better comfort level than the cloth sofa. I'm sure we will go with the fitted sheet again. Just a different color and pattern to match the new interior colors of the Classic.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Plus you should have seen all the folks staring with blank looks on their faces with their mouths open when they saw him drive this galaxy class starship
Wow that's a good term....hmmm.... galaxy class starship. Do I see a Star Trek name in its future? Scotty, give me more power!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-03-2004, 07:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
My motto...Do It NOW!

Yet, to each his own.

I know this thread is more about trailers, but the topic is about retirement and age. So I wanted to say that I will be retiring in about 11 years or so, and I will upgrade from my 28 footer (MH) to possibly a 310 or so. I don't want tag axles, so if I get the older classic, the 310 is it. I kind of wish I already had it, but my current one has the mid twins for my kids, and the sleeper for me. In 11 years, once they are in college, I will trade for a rear queen, and more space.

BTW, in 11 years, I'll be 59. OK, maybe I'll wait one more to get my military retirement to help out at 60. But then it's Ciao, baby! Sell everything and take off. I think something in the 30+' range is perfect.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:39 PM   #30
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera

Wow that's a good term....hmmm.... galaxy class starship. Do I see a Star Trek name in its future? Scotty, give me more power!

Jack
"I'm sorry Captain, but I'm givin' ya all she's got... If I give ya any more, she'll blow!" Mr. Scott, Star Trek... most episodes...

Actually, Jack...

The NCC 3021-A is the U.S.S. Cygnus, and the NCC 3021-B is listed as the U.S.S Ulanway, according to Internet sources... don't think I haven't considered Star Trek graphics for the side of the Behemoth... Just don't think Laurie (my wife) would be too excited about it!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:07 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
We have a 19' Bambi & for now it's just what fits. The wife will retire in another year so------ however a few of the things that made us decide on the Bambi--We like to travel the back roads & just are never sure of the conditions we may encounter. Ex. was to W. Virginia & traveled the back roads of the coal country mountains--some places wouldn't have been able to even fit the Bambi. Easy on the Gas $. But probably one of the most important was the wife would feel better pulling the shorter trailer, if I was unable. We traveled for 3 weeks & was very comfortable, for a long stay, well that could be another story. Someone on the forum once said --you want a shorter unit when towing & a longer one when you get there. I find that to be true. Along the way we have met some A/S owners that use two streamers --one for short trips, week-ends, etc & one for the long haul. We're just happy to have one. One thing if you buy one size & want to go up or down, if it's A/S you'll get top $. I'd suggest that you find the one that has the most pluses for you & go for it.
Best.

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just have to chime in with praises for the flexability of a small coach. We had two trips last summer where we got a spot with the tenters because the campground was full, but our Caravel was small enough to fit into a car-camping spot. If we'd had a bigger rig we probably would have been turned away. We also found ourselves stopping in parking lots where the Caravel and van together fit into two parking spots end to end, no problem. And once we got stuck down a dead end road and had to do a tricky backing up to turn around manuever, which I'm sure would have been way more difficult with a bigger trailer. My husband insists ours is the perfect size, and he'll never want anything bigger!

However, I don't know how you could ever get used to such a tiny rig after having a big one to rattle around in. But I just had to say, we've really enjoyed having our 'little' guy. I think it's the perfect weekender for the two of us and our two dogs (and sometimes the cat).

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:44 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Miriam & I would like to thank you all very much for your input. We tend to agree with what Stephanie & A.E. Milliman had to say about all the benefits and flexibility of the smaller unit.

We know there are a lot of tasks that are just the same whether you have a big trailer or a small one. Since we could pull the 19' Bambi with our 1 ton truck, it has to be easier to get away not having to unlock the storage compartment and drag the big heavy Hensley "stinger" out and go through the frustration of a Hensley hookup at about a 30 degree angle from straight in. Just hitch and go like we do with our boat or our motorcycle trailer. Then, the shorter overall length where you can fit the whole rig in two back-to-back spaces really opens up the possibilities for shopping (yes, Miriam is a "world class" shopper). Then, there's the "that road's really calling out my name" phenomenon. We often see a "road that's really calling out our name" while pulling the 30 footer and end up just making a mental note to come back to the area on the motorcycle. How great it would be to just take it and see where it goes, confident that you are short and nimble enough to be able to handle whatever lies ahead. The other thing we hope to accomplish is the "dead" time due to check in and check out at the campsite. So often we get to the camsite at 10:00 or so in the morning and are unable to do much of anything till check in is allowed. Then, when we check out on Sunday, about all we are able to do is head on home.

Not going to rush the decision though ... too old and wise? to do that. Thanks again.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Smile Just Right Momma Bear

We have the 25 foot size, not by any grand plan but by what came available to tinker with. Retirement is not on the immediate horizon even though I could do it at the drop of a hat if I decided. Since I have never slept once in a trailer I really can't respond with an opinion. To top it off our major vacations are planned out of the country for the next two years so Airstreaming opportunities may be few and probably only for extended weekends. I probably should have been looking for a Bambi or Caravel under this scenario with the idea of trading up in size if Airstreaming became very addictive. The 25 footer is only giving me pause in one area--my tow vehicle. Supposedly it is rated to haul it but...
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Grab and go

Mary and I are both in our 40's, working full time now.

We use our 30' Classic for weekend trips, week long trips, and cross country multi-week working trips. We stay at state parks to RV resorts.

We're 55' overall length with our GMS 3/4 ton.

We got ours so we would enjoy the RV lifestyle, learn how to enjoy it, and encourage us to retire early. We will have it paid off in 7 years.

Loading and hitching for an quick get away can take 1 hr to several hours. Just have to go with the flow. So even a 30 ft is a weekend size.

Buy and enjoy now - a comfortable fit, not cramped. Pre-owned unit may fit the bill.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:50 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Ahhhh the 30' Classic. It's always been such a temptation to me with the big shower on the other side of the hall, the dinette, and the sofa where God meant it to be, all along the front end wall. But, I really didn't want to go a foot bigger than what I've got now. My problem is I can see the benefits of the super small and I can see the benefits of the large and comfortable. I think it'll be one or the other, nothin' in between.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #37

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by DreamStream
Ahhhh the 30' Classic. It's always been such a temptation to me with the big shower on the other side of the hall, the dinette,
The dinette was the gotcha for us. If you haven't looked the 30' and 31' Classic are both 31' long. The difference is the 30' unit has the dinette and curb side shower. The 31' unit has two front folding tables and a street side bathroom. FYI that street side bathroom shower is larger the the curb side shower in the 30' unit.

If you are of the larger persuasion and use the shower, this could be a point of concern. My advice is to step into both and see for yourself.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
I am 6'3", and both showers are "tight". All Airstream showers are "tight". I agree with Jack's recommendation - step in first.

We looked carefully at the 30' and 31' versions. The dinette works best for us. We spend time there eating, reading, etc, and we normally set up our computers on the tables at the sofa, using both tables.

That is works if our dog allows us to share the sofa with her!

Would have liked the larget closet found in the 31'er. We didn't see much functionality for us with the larger credenza.

When we have family or friends with us, we commonly leave the sofa down as a bed during the day. The dinette allows us to do that.

So many things to consider!

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:00 AM   #39

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by gklott
Would have liked the larget closet found in the 31'er. We didn't see much functionality for us with the larger credenza.
73/gus
I forgot about that big double closet! That was one of the things we had to compromise on when we chose the 30' model. Our '01 27' Safari had the double closet and we considered that a big plus. The real issue for us was to take fewer hanging clothes and get the dinette.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15