Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Laidback1 View Post
Agreed that's why I'm asking here....

It just surprises me that a dealership that is setting up hitches every day for trailer deliveries does not understand the issue. They're acting like one size fits all and that ain't so
Yup........ N times N permutations here and just as many opinions about Airstream dealers.

Your 1 ton truck and the heavy tongue weight of the Airstream makes it stable on its own. Anything will just improve on that but not as much as on a lighter weight combo.

Most folks are going to defend their hitch choice even though many of the others would have worked just as well.

Our Airstream hitch was recommended and set up by the dealer in about an hour. They only sold Reese products and I figured if they do enough they probably can do it fast. It works as it should and is setup today same as when I left the lot.

I did not question them because I really did not care too much about it. I just really do not think the hitch choice is all that crucial with the newer Airstreams' heavy tongue weights and low-slung axles - even less so with a 1 ton truck.

I have towed hundreds of TV/trailer combos in my life for work and personal use. The majority of them would have been considered dangerous by the conventional wisdom here. Not one (until our Airstream) had WD or anti-sway. I just drove appropriately.

So yes trust the dealer or other shop, or, figure it out yourself. There is a wealth of wisdom here and just as many opinions and product bias.

If it were me I would hook it up and drive it first just to see how the rig handles. Your 1 ton truck gives you that advantage and data point that many people do not have.

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
To set up the average WD hitch it can take several hours. No dealer is going to commit that amount of time to the task. I am constantly coming across individuals that are driving with systems that are completely set up wrong or grossly oversized.
My dealer did. He adjusted the hitch until it was right on target.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A reason some dealers sell Equal-I-Zer brand hitches is because they are very easy to install and adjust, but the w.d. bars are extremely stiff. They put one on my new Airstream and I felt it was too rough on the Airstream A-frame when going across steep approaches.

I also used the previously recommended Andersen hitch and found it a poorly designed experiment fraught with problems, not to mention the need to cut off and replace your Airstream coupler and even less flexibility (only two plastic bushings to absorb vertical movement on the coupler) than the Equal-I-Zer.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Our 1999 34' has been towed all over with the original Equi-li-zer.., WD bars and a "linear brake"/sway control.

Towing home on our return from purchase, it seemed to tow like all other trailers... except increasing the pressure on the 'sway control' improved the desire to 'sway'...a bit.

After a couple of pulls, I bit the big hype and ordered the ProPride... I thought.. "this is really silly... this has to be one of those things that only work in smaller scale."...

Now, I realize we only have a 2500HD Silverado... but, when I hooked up that first time and towed.... it WAS DIFFERENT to tow.

The next weekend with 3 granddaughters aboard, returning from San Marcos, we were run onto the shoulder of the road and the AS tucked in behind the truck with no complaints!!! No shimmy, no shake... no twitch.. just stuck aligned behind the truck...

There is no way the system would have PERFORMED the way it did without the ProPride.. it clearly made the maneuver much safer...

There have been some really gusty trips, like last weekend to and from Aransas Pass... the whole rig moves when the wind hits it... the AS does not wiggle/sway... and you can easily keep things running true and straight...

During this recent trip, I had to maneuver around a Hog carcass that 'exploded' while trying to cross the highway... I had to 'dodge' road alligators (tread shed from 18 wheeler retreads... etc... I had ZERO concern for the stern of the AS swinging into oncoming traffic... it followed really well behind...

Yes, there is some movement... but you never get the 'wagging' feeling like you did with the EQ system... or without EQ and/or WD bars..

YMMV, but for me, the PP has paid for itself. If you ever want to tow to 'get the feel', just send me a PM and we will arrange.

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote