Originally Posted by rluhr
But the 2005 model year 24-footer has many additional features and (I dare say) higher build quality. Microwave, electronically controlled refrigerator, far superior stereo system, black tank flush, etc., and 27 years of design improvements.
I'm not sure I'd agree with these statements fully. Having owned now two new Airstreams...a 2003 Bambi and now a 2004 Safari SS, I can share the following observations:
1) The 2004 Safari has had fewer issues than our 2003
2) As I've used the 2004, I've shaken a small list of issues..some avoidable, some not...one being the tank monitors...a fair number of folks are reporting issues with it.
3) Microwaves, stereos, electronic fridges and black tank flushes are not for the most part highly technological high cost items to justify almost 2x the cost of what other coaches cost. There have been improvements in build and engineering, still not worth almost 2x what some SOBs cost.
4)Having been the factory, I know they take quality seriously...but they also (as do other RV manufacs) get paid by the number of units pushed out the door, so the two in my mind are at bitter odds against each other.
5) Having said this, for all the frustrations and disappointments I've come across, there are a few reasons I would be inclinded to stick with Airstream:
- The folks at Airstream have taken good care of us. They've listened and promised to help. Anytime I call or email, I get answers and solutions.
-The RV just looks very cool. I mean how many SOB owners at a stoplight get into a conversation about their RV with the guy stuck at the light next to them? We do.
- Worth $40k+. Not really...but after poking my nose in several SOB units over the past 2-3 years, and seeing the Airstream...we just wanted one. Did we make a mistake? I don't think so. Have there been disappointments. Without question. Have I had service after the sale from the factory. As sure as I type this.
Who knows at the rate we are going, we'll be at a 34' by 2006 or 2007?