Old 06-07-2004, 08:36 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

...I did not mean to add fuel to the quality issue debate -- Silvertwinkie and I have been chatting about our problems...but I just want to state for the record...

My 2004 has some implementation flaws -- but the design is solid. You can fix implementation, but fixing design flaws is much harder, if even possible. Leaks are bad, and I agree with the thought that they should be very high on the AS list...I still have very intermittent brake issue that has everyone stumped...and I know AS's can go a long time without leaks with some PM.

But in my postings, I might be sad, but I know it is probably temporary...The dang thing is just still in Beta test, and things will be fixed up...

...And I need to learn how to spell Warantee...

Old 06-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Small Fire at Service Center at Jackson

I'll have to type the quote, as I can not figure out the way to just add it---anyhow I promised myself I'd stay away from the forum, until later, but alas here I am again. I must respond to Lynn's quote of "Quality is always a concern and is an everyday part of the process at Airstream" end quote--I'll only say---stay tuned & they're be more to come, depending on ????? Makes that quote a real laugh--if I hadn't invested so much $$$$ Lynn must work at A/S sorry I'm in a very very bad mood.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmage
I wonder if the cost of a new Airstream has gone up in proportion to the cost say of a loaf of bread, minimum wage, etc?
My "new" 1977 Argosy 24 cost $8,753.09 with options when delivered. That's about $28,000 in today's dollars. A new 24-foot Airstream costs about $40,000 today, or about 43% more.

But the 2005 model year 24-footer has many additional features and (I dare say) higher build quality. Microwave, electronically controlled refrigerator, far superior stereo system, black tank flush, etc., and 27 years of design improvements.

And, the Argosy was a lower cost version of the Airstream. Corners were cut in the cabinetry and other finishings compared to the Airstreams of that day.

Even discounting all of that, the rise in price has been 43% over 27 years, or less than 1.5% per year (with compounding) over the rate of inflation. That's not much increase given the improvements & enhancements in the product.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
But the 2005 model year 24-footer has many additional features and (I dare say) higher build quality. Microwave, electronically controlled refrigerator, far superior stereo system, black tank flush, etc., and 27 years of design improvements.
I'm not sure I'd agree with these statements fully. Having owned now two new Airstreams...a 2003 Bambi and now a 2004 Safari SS, I can share the following observations:

1) The 2004 Safari has had fewer issues than our 2003

2) As I've used the 2004, I've shaken a small list of issues..some avoidable, some not...one being the tank monitors...a fair number of folks are reporting issues with it.

3) Microwaves, stereos, electronic fridges and black tank flushes are not for the most part highly technological high cost items to justify almost 2x the cost of what other coaches cost. There have been improvements in build and engineering, still not worth almost 2x what some SOBs cost.

4)Having been the factory, I know they take quality seriously...but they also (as do other RV manufacs) get paid by the number of units pushed out the door, so the two in my mind are at bitter odds against each other.

5) Having said this, for all the frustrations and disappointments I've come across, there are a few reasons I would be inclinded to stick with Airstream:

- The folks at Airstream have taken good care of us. They've listened and promised to help. Anytime I call or email, I get answers and solutions.

-The RV just looks very cool. I mean how many SOB owners at a stoplight get into a conversation about their RV with the guy stuck at the light next to them? We do.

- Worth $40k+. Not really...but after poking my nose in several SOB units over the past 2-3 years, and seeing the Airstream...we just wanted one. Did we make a mistake? I don't think so. Have there been disappointments. Without question. Have I had service after the sale from the factory. As sure as I type this.

Who knows at the rate we are going, we'll be at a 34' by 2006 or 2007?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #33
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmage
I wonder if the cost of a new Airstream has gone up in proportion to the cost say of a loaf of bread, minimum wage, etc?
My 1959 24' Tradewind cost $4814 inApril 1959. Current dollar value of that would be $32953 in April 2004, based on CPI.