Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #1

Looking for Paul Gamroth?

I am looking for whoever bought a 1965 Airstream from a lady in Gladstone, Oregon in 2004. It may be Paul Gamroth, I found his name on some notes regarding the trailer. The number I have has been disconnected. My mother has passed away, and I found some information regarding the trailer that I would like him to have. Pls contact Kim at kimsews@comcast.net if you know where I can find the purchaser of the trailer. It's a longshot but I thought I'd try! Thank you.
kimsews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Kim I'm sorry that I cannot help you in your search, but maybe others will. But your request brings up an interesting subject.

How to trace a gone but sought Airstream.

Was there a number (probably red) upon the front top of the trailer?
Do you know that number? That would only help if the present owner renewed as a new member of the WBCCI group and requested the same number. Or maybe they (the WBCCI folks) ask if there was a current number shown and maybe they record that info. Of course geting that info from WBCCI may be hard or impossible. And it is a long shot that new owner has joined and registered yet.

Maybe the Oregon dept of transportation or motor veicles or whatever yall have out there could be of some help.
I suppose your mom signed over a title of some sort to the new owner. But whether they then re-registered with the state is another matter. Do you have anything with the serial number?
But if the new owner was from out of state you'd be searching in vain I suppose, but maybe not. Worth a try.

Also I have to admit that I am very curious what you might have found that you are going to all the trouble to re-unite with the new trailer owner. Please tell. Did you consider taking the trailer? Did you share it with your parents when younger? Tell us about it if there are memories please.
And lastly give me a clue regarding your nickname kimsews, ... do you? I need some sewing advice that concerns my Airstream and don't recall seeing any one here who speaks often of sewing, except a guy named smiley.

BTW I guess you ran a google on the name, I did and only found one entryPaul Gamroth class of 2001North High School Colmbus Indiana

diamondarmor@hotmail.com Hope the email address pans out for you. Gotta figure that Gamroth is not a very common name.

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Or did you accidentally leave a whopping big bag of cash in the service compartment and want it back? If so, I will help you find it.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I don't know him. :-) (free bump)
kl8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #5

Hi All,

Nope, we removed all the bags of cash before she sold it.

I went back to pictures of the trailer (which by the way was a '65 20' Globetrotter) and the red numbers are 12964. In addtion, the Oregon license plate number is 641360. What I have found is the original owners manual and catalog for the trailer. They are a gem and I'd like the owner to have them. Yeah, I could eBay them but that's not the right thing to do.

I have not found a bill of sale or an old resgistration or anything yet.

We considered buying the trailer but at the time there was a lot of upheaval in our lives and we didn't want to spend that much money on something we may or may not have used. Long story. We camped in Eastern Oregon a lot and the Airstream was home base-the rest of us tented around it but it was always where you could go to get warm, dry, and all the meals came out of it. There are lots of fond memories surrounding it and I hope it is continuing to have many more wonderful adventures with it's new family. My mom hated to sell it but she had to downsize and due to her health she wasn't able to care for it any longer. She was only the second owner and the original owner was also a family member.

My name is a dead giveaway I guess, yep, I sew everything from wedding gowns to dog beds, curtains to prom dresses. Maybe I can help you with your sewing project. I work for a major apparel company here in Portland as a product developer.

Anywhoo, thanks all for your help.

Kim
Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsews
I am looking for whoever bought a 1965 Airstream from a lady in Gladstone, Oregon in 2004. It may be Paul Gamroth, I found his name on some notes regarding the trailer. The number I have has been disconnected. My mother has passed away, and I found some information regarding the trailer that I would like him to have. Pls contact Kim at kimsews@comcast.net if you know where I can find the purchaser of the trailer. It's a longshot but I thought I'd try! Thank you.
Try www.zabasearch.com
Old 08-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Bingo ! , Kim you might have found your man in Portland.

Thanks to Uwe and that ZABA search. I never knew about that.

I envy folks who can sew and who can find almost anything on the web.
We could use your expertise on this site, so consider sticking around, you might decide to buy a trailer someday. Might even buy back your mom's.

I will compose my sewing questions and either e-mail you or post here and see what develops.
The biggest challenges sewing wise (I think) having to do with Airstreams are Curtains that fit the curved front windows, and Awning repairs or replacements. Also tire covers and various covers for stuff.

My questions concern Awning sewing. The fabric is 9ounce* Sunbrella acryllic which usually comes in a 46 inch width. The panels have to be sewn together down the edges and are hung vertically. I first need to know what is double needle stiching? If I have an old Singer single needle am I out of luck for that type of stitch? And would it take a special machine for the weight of the fabric.
* Is that per sq ft? I guess so..??

Thanks
Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #8

Hi again;

I did try zabasearch and unfortunately the phone # listed is the one that is disconnected. I'll keep trying. Hopefully I can find him someday.

I know Airstream folk are a special breed so I'll hang around and check in occasionally. So everyone in the northwest please look for Airstream #12964! I think mom mentioned that he was going to Alaska with it.

Ah, the curtains. Mom's trailer had the originals in great condition so I didn't have to tackle that one. The curved cushions were also intriquing to me.

Awnings are tough to do on a home machine for several reasons.

1) Usually they need to be double-needled in a true felled seam, which is a special seam that is sewn flat and open and at the same time encases the raw edges. This is the same seam you will find on the side/undersleeve seam of a true dress shirt for comparison. This operation requires a special machine. You can fake it with overlapping the fabric but then you can run into.........

2) Sunbrella fabric is heavy (9 oz is per square yard or meter) and very densely woven. It gets is sunblock characteristics by chemical treatment I believe AND the fact that the yarns are so densely packed together. As a result home machines often don't have the umph to get through it. ( I did it once to make a sailboat sail cover. Never again.) You really need an industrial machine to tackle it.

Cheers, all!

Kim
Old 08-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Try this one.

If you head to
anywho.com
you may land your mans' 411.
Fabian
Old 08-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsews
...I know Airstream folk are a special breed...
Actually it is the aluminum diet that makes us special...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #11

Airstream owner Found!!

I am happy to say, that because of this message board, that I found the current owner of the Airstream! Hooray!

We have been in touch and I can now send the manuals and info along!

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
What a great ending to an interesting thread. Glad you had success on the contact.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Since he is now an Airstream owner, might he be interested in this forum? Hope that the information about the forum was passed on to him and that he was encouraged to join in. Maybe we'll hear from him soon. What a neat story with a good ending! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
WoooHooo!

Once again, persistance pays off!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
What I have found is the original owners manual and catalog for the trailer. They are a gem and I'd like the owner to have them. Yeah, I could eBay them but that's not the right thing to do.
Kim,

The world needs more NICE people like yourself.

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Wow! 11 months and two weeks later. Kind of like a message in a virtual bottle.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Happy Ending

This was an enjoyable thread to read.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote