Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
pjq

grandbay-westfield , New Brunswick
How Big What Vintage and What Size

How Big of an Airstream do I need and What Size of a vehicle do i need to pull it with?
We're not there yet but in the not too distant future my wife and I would like to spend 3-5 months of the years travelling around North America avoiding the cold winter periods, following the sun and exploring this continent.
We have NO travel trailer experience. I do have experience with utility trailers and boat trailers.

We have been tent campers for a number of years.

A minimum requirement for a travel trailer is Dual Axle.

It will be my wife and I, but with four children, other family members and friends, it is possible visitors, two at a time, will show.
I can't imagine staying put for more than a week in any one place but we'll wait and see when the time comes.

I was thinking of a second hand Airstream. I'm not really interested in a full restoration but I can handle most handyman work when necessary.

The reason we're considering Airstream is areodynamic, low center of gravity and appears to be good durability.

We continuously try to balance our needs and wants so I thought this would be a good place to get first hand advice on How Big What Vintage and What Size.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
The size tow vehicle will depend on the size and weight of your trailer. I would suggest you try and find a rally within driving distance and see as many trailers as possible. People have different needs and wants. Some find a small trailer cute and cozy and others will find it claustrophobic.
We started out with an older 31', went to a newer 28' that had some things the older trailer didn't. We found we missed that extra bit of space and went back to a 30'.
Take your time and look around.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

There are a lot of you to be happy in a travel trailer for months on end.
There are various bunk house models made by lots of manufacturers. There are a few Airstreams in this configuration, but most are designed for a couple.
All you can do is look around and kick tires. When you find the trailer or fifth wheel that suits your fancy, then shop for a tow vehicle.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote