Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Red face Have you ever been denied entry or asked to leave a campground?

Confession time! With our ever-growing membership, I’m sure that some of us have interesting or amusing experiences to share about campground or park denial or ejection. Trailer too old? Moho too long? Kids too unruly? Dogs too noisy? Music too loud? Unfairly ejected and need to vent?
My only experience with being asked to leave was once when I overstayed the time restriction at a State Forest campground. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

There have been a few other threads that broached this topic, but I’m interested in hearing tales of how even sophisticated millionaire Airstream owners like ourselves can sometimes go astray of the rules or fall from grace with fellow campers. Got a story to tell? Confession is good for the soul.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I pulled in (sans Airstream) and asked about staying as a monthly at Travelers Campground in Alachua, Florida. They asked how old my unit was, and I replied that it was a 1972 Airstream. The LAUGHED at me, and said they would have to "inspect" it.
I was really ticked off at their attitude and decided to go elseware.

I will say though, that having been to a multitude of RV parks in many states, I can really understand why a park would have these rules. There is some real junk sitting in monthly spots at some of these parks. Owners have some real red tape to go through to get this junk removed after it is abandoned.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
This was one of the things that contributed to our decision to go with a new unit. However, I understand that a lot of state campgrounds limit the length to 25' so I am anticipating that I will get rejected one day on the grounds of length.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We tend to camp outside of campground so that our dogs can enjoy getting away for the weekend. Who would want travel for several hours in the back seat of a PU truck only to be tied to a tree when you got setup. When we have stayed in campgrounds we have had a few warnings from the hosts at different site about keeping the dogs on a leash. We understand that not everyone enjoys dogs as much as we do and not all dogs are as well behaved as our. We never let them roam out of our area.

Have we ever been asked to leave? No, but we are working on it .

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have been asked to leave one and have been asked how old my trailer was.
The one I was asked to leave I will never understand. The manager is a little wacky in my opinion and they do not generally like long term residents. Strange. At least I got to meet Carol (wheel Interested) before I left.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
one time I was ordered to leave .
I made a reservation and paid 25 % of the camping fee up front by bank.
When we arived we were told to leave as they only wanted normal trailors.
OK give me my 25 % back and we go.
No you don't get the 25 % back .
You order me to leave give me my #$@^#&%#& money back.
Go now or we call the police.
I left 5 secs after I opend the black tank dumpvalve right in front of the office.
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Fortunately, I haven't been asked to leave a campground (yet), but I've asked several people to leave our campgrounds (even provided one-way transportation for a select few). Usually for disorderly conduct, fighting, robbing, domestic violence, arson, property damage, vandalism, miscellaneous sex crimes, etc. We don't sweat the small stuff, unless it's done along with the big stuff. Consequently, when I'm camping, I try to project the illusion of being on my best behavior.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Got tired of living in fear that my 6lb and 8lb Poms would attack a neighbor. Never really got thrown out of anywhere. Never even got in trouble for having the dogs "off lead"; however, we decided to buy a place on our favorite lake so we could really relax. It's wonderful. We do hope to take the "Twink" on the road when we retire, so we may get outselves into trouble yet.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Just gently 'warned'

Twice at a state park, we were nicely asked to turn the music or TV down after the quiet time started (10pm). Didn't realize it was that late, and we learned to not keep the windows open on the side where the rangers walk by! I don't have any problem with the rule.

My buddy almost got denied access to his reserved spot at the same state park because of length until I kicked him under the counter and said "oh, no ma'am. Its not a 40' moho - its only 40' WITH the toad on the back". He wised up and said "yeah... that's it!" He got in, had plenty of room.

OK... its not a 'asked to leave' story, but I'm feeling gregarious.
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Never been asked to leave - but almost made a neighbor leave at a state park in Ohio. We are new to vintage - had a 96 Coleman before the 71 Airstream. In a way I'm glad to see this thread - thought is was just Ohio.

We contacted 7 parks to find a spot this summer (can't store it in our development) was surprised to find 4 of 7 wouldn't take us because the trailer is over 15 years old.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Have you ever been denied entry or asked to leave a campground?

We've never been asked to leave but stopped at a campground in Florida and the people looked out the window and said "obviously yours isn't too old". We got a kick out of that because ours is a "72". We have a rockguard and a bottle cover on ours. I guess they thought it was newer.

Lee & Don Pace
72 tradewind
Greenville, Tx
WGCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Denied

We were just refused because of the age of our 78 'Land Yacht. It seems that this Nevada campground was primarily owned or leased sites and they have CC&R's prohibiting anything older than 10 years.

Harry W
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Once in Quebec, we were told that our trailer was too old for them, regarding the quality of the site they wanted to keep.
The name : Camping Américain.
Actually we should create a "black list" of those kind of campground.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've been asked how old my unit is several times at campgrounds by other campers. I always ask, "How old does it look?" Most SOB owners guess that it is a 2000 or 2001. They are shocked to learn it is a '72. This trick may work for some to gain entrance to CG's that have age restrictions, although most only enforce that rule for monthlies and not weekend or week long stays.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I can understand the thinking old = in bad shape. However I do not think it is fair. They ought to at least offer a spot if the trailer is in good condition. I have seen some 1970's airstreams that look better than my 2006!
Changing prejudice is a difficult thing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had the opposite experience. Several times other campers thought that our 2005 Safari was a vintage model. These campers thought that Airstream had been out of business for many years. The conversation usually starts with "boy, that thing is in good shape". When I tell them it's a 2005, the response is "I didn't know they still made those things".

Every time this happens, we are very flattered. It goes to show that the Airstream design is not only iconic, but timeless. An Airstream transcends model year. Any well maintained Airstream is always current and always vintage. An Airstream is an Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Well, I hate to hear about CG's that deny entry to anyone who is an honest camper. Snobbery in camping is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. That extends to vintage units, tenters, popups, MOHOs, and camper vans. Camping is camping. If there is a park that disallows you because maybe you aren't rich enough to own an expensive new unit, then that's not a campground, but a parking lot for RVs. A parking lot. That's not camping, and it's pretentious and facetious to state that it is.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi all,

We have never been denied access to any campground or been asked to leave. Probably dull folks... However, once a number of years ago I was looking for camping spots in Southern California and called a commercial spot to inquire about staying in their campground for a few days. At the time we owned an older SOB. But it looked fine... Anyway, they had some kind of age limit and we didn't "qualify". Needless to say we didn't make reservations there! I was appalled that they had the gall to ask me what year my camper was, and then tell me I couldn't stay. But that was the only time I have run across any such thing.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Merritt , British Columbia
Not denied, but certainly wasn't made to feel welcome.

I know what people mean about folks being mistaken about the age of the airstream - even with the Boop's beauty marks, many people think she's younger than the '71 she actually is.

During the summer we stayed for a month at a campground in Fort St. John, BC. A couple of days into the visit the water pump on our tow vehicle (a 1996 diesel van) went, which means that coolant started weeping out of the pump. I immediately put a pan underneath to catch it. Since it was Saturday, I made plans to take it in for repairs on Monday. The park manager freaked, and you'd think we were storing nuclear waste on our campsite. I asked her that out of the thousands of campers they've had here, in one of the largest cities on the Alaska Highway between Dawson Creek and Whitehorse... she'd never had anyone with a coolant leak? She said they hadn't. After getting it repaired to top it off, she insisted that we were going to have to move to an unserviced site before the July long weekend. I got the impression she wanted to have a nice, new SOB fifth wheel or motorhome in our spot. We ended up staying, but I never felt welcome afterwards.
ayresdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #20
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Related stories may be those from people who have been ordered to remove their campers from their driveways due to local restrictions (too ugly, too old or too many). I can't say that I would blame the neighbors for sneering at "old paint" behind her back. But I can't say I care either. I can't afford the $50 a month to store her off site outside so she's sat in our tiny shared driveway for 2 years now.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote