Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
eBay (again)

Okay, guys. Ya GOTTA check this one out!
2002 AIRSTREAM 30FT CLASSIC-DAMAGED-SAVE$$WOW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2451753980

He claims in the txt description that it will only cost $1,500 to $2,500 to fix it.
Yeah, right.
If that's all it would cost, why doesn't he fix it himself?
Reserve hasn't been met yet, so y'all have time to bid......

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-31-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Let's see,

Salvage title?? So it was totaled in some adjuster's eyes, right?

What does a wing window run these days?

Looks to be a bit more damage than $2500, I would guess at least twice that to fix it, possibly closer to $7500.

I guess it got hit hard enough to knock the interior around so it may require some interior reskinning as well.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

YeoWww.... anyone care to speculate about what clobbered it?
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Oh my. Oh my, my, my!

I am sure some smart guy knows how to fix that without a body-off repair, but I don't. That rear corner is going to need a partial floor - which is a structural element, remember - new floor channel spliced into the good parts, and of course not less than three new exterior panels. Maybe five. Plus the under floor wraps, one of the under floor storage compartments, a bumper, and some underbody skin. And yes, there is a good reason why there are no interior pictures of the streetside rear.

Then you can start on the front.

And that is just what we can see from the photos.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:10 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It was hit so hard that the streetside light over the bed was broken. That was quite an impact. What else that can't be seen is in irrepairable shape? I'd say closer to $10,000 to fix this mess.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
A panel is approx 1000-1200 these days. this does not count for rib damage..
Old 01-01-2004, 03:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

From my own very, very sad experience, I would caution: "When bying on eBay, its BUYER BEWARE!"
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Exclamation caveat emptor...

Buying ANYTHING from a private party, even in person, is always a gamble. I have to say though, that if you do your homework, know the product you're looking for, understand thoroughly the condition it's in, and have a reasonable idea what the repair costs are ahead of time, eBay is an excellent source of goods. In the case of this particular trailer, I'd say that $10k might not be unreasonable, if another $10k would make it like new. You'd have a late model, essentially new unit for $20k. OTOH, if you paid $15k and had to put another $20k into it to make it 'like new', at $35k for a salvage title trailer, it's not such a great buy.

I've successfully bought and sold on eBay for several years now, with only one minor bad experience, and it was on new goods. Like any auction, you have to know a deal when you see it, set your maximum bid prior to bidding and know when to stop. The seller's feedback profile should be a determining factor if the product appears questionable, or is a high-dollar item. If the overwhelming positive feedback isn't there, I don't bid. If I can't get all of my questions answered satisfactorily, and with photos if necessary, I don't bid.

Nothing in life is a sure deal, but you can increase your odds on eBay buy following those few simple rules.

This trailer could be a killer deal for someone who's willing and capable of doing the repairs themselves. OTOH, it could kill someone financially if they're not prepared for what the trailer really is.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 07:57 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by MaShep
YeoWww.... anyone care to speculate about what clobbered it?
Looks like it "got away" from whoever was towing it. Jacknifed first left, damagingLF panel and window, then the left rear of the trailer hit something in the road, and it swung back to the right, damaging the right front.
Tow vehicle was a Suburban or Excursion type, from the area damaged in front.
This is of course just a guess, but it does fit the damage pattern.
You did ask for speculation.

Terry
Old 01-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Salvage Title?

Hi Folks,

I believe that the salvage title indicates the vehicle has been totaled by the insurance company. If I read insurance companies right they would rather have paid the "$1500-$2500" price to repair this trailer; than pay the approx $30-35K totaled value. This vehicle has EXTENSIVE damage and the title is the clue.

BTW I bought my A/S through e-bay and it went well. Price was fair and I knew what was wrong prior to purchasing. But as has been said before 'buyer beware' in any deal, regardless of the source.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Wouldn't you love to know what type of weight distribution and sway control was being used? ...or not? Tow vehicle?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Probably towed by a VW Touareg with their goofy ball-mount. You know they SAY it pulls up to 8100 lbs. They SAY it doesn't need a load leveling hitch and has tongue-weight capacity up to 616 lbs Where are their commercial?
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Coloradobus
Probably towed by a VW Touareg with their goofy ball-mount. You know they SAY it pulls up to 8100 lbs. They SAY it doesn't need a load leveling hitch and has tongue-weight capacity up to 616 lbs Where are their commercial?
Hey, Bus!!! You nailed it! This is undoubtedly THE trailer from the Touareg commercial, immediately after it's seen leaving camera range!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
He's at it again!

Same seller as before, different trailer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454124508
What's he doing? Shilling for an insurance company?
Same deal as before, salvage title only.
Last one got no bids, this one already has one for $8,000.00
How do figure this?
I'm really puzzled.....

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This person must be the first generation to walk on twos!

It must be nice living in never never land, perhaps someone will come and visit that person someday!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Last one got no bids, this one already has one for $8,000.00
The last one ended early, I figured he reached a deal off line with someone. Look at the price for these new, repair money invested, and popularity. Even a salvage title won't deter people if the price is right and they are done correctly.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Notice this time, the seller is smart enough to make the bidders list private! I commented on some thread not too long ago, how useful it is to the bidders to know who is bidding, how many bids from each person, etc. Sometimes, there are say, 12 bids showing, but only maybe 3 bidders.
So I'm not too sure the seller doesn't read this forum! Or somebody clued him in...

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-14-2004, 07:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Honestly if you have the room and time and are restoring another coach it's not a bad deal at all. You could score nearly new appliances ALL in one shot. A Airstream is a Airstream. It would not be hard to take a large part of the interrior of that coach and put it into a 70's body. Then sell the remainder.

I bet you could complete refurb a old unit and then sell the remains and do it for far less cash outlay then just buying a peice here and there till your done. Not counting labor even paying $8k I bet you could come out around $4k after parting. There are PLENTY of us who have spent $8k redoing older coaches.

I'm looking for a old coach as we speak. I have run accross a few cosmetically challanged SOB's that have good appliances like Reefer, water heater and A/C that I could buy the whole coach for less that what it is going to cost me to get 2 of the above new and sometimes used. I need everything unless I can be content with a Park model. It's disposing of the remains that hold me back.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster
It's disposing of the remains that hold me back.
59T,

A match comes to mind My inlaws used to have a Coachmen 29' TT, I now have a 28' flat bed trailer, all it took was some inattention on someones part and up it went by the time the fire department got there, all they could do was spray down the ground to keep the ground fire from spreading. Not much left at all. I have also seen people take trailers both TT an Mobile Homes down to the bare chassis, selling the steel for scrap and the axles and hitches. I guess the wood either gets burned or goes to the dump. If you live in a neighborhood though, the neighbors might not appreciate your recyling efforts

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by wahoonc

59T,

A match comes to mind My inlaws used to have a Coachmen 29' TT, I now have a 28' flat bed trailer, all it took was some inattention on someones part and up it went by the time the fire department got there, all they could do was spray down the ground to keep the ground fire from spreading. Not much left at all. I have also seen people take trailers both TT an Mobile Homes down to the bare chassis, selling the steel for scrap and the axles and hitches. I guess the wood either gets burned or goes to the dump. If you live in a neighborhood though, the neighbors might not appreciate your recyling efforts

Aaron
Well see sir I was cleaning the counters in the RV with gasoline and the $9.99 Harbofreight grinder I was using to get the tuff stuff off caught the gas on fire. I tried the get the full 5 gallon gas can out the door with me but I spilled it all over from front to rear and about 4ft up all the walls. LOL

My neighbors already worry about me. Something like that would not surprise them. Let me put it this way. In the last 6 years I have owned 10 vehicles and one of them I only paid $1 for and I still have it and drive it.

I got my eye on #11 right now. It's a 1987 Deisel Suburban that has been in a wreck and is missing a few parts like the transmission and all the sheetmetal from the doors forward. It has a good motor. I know where enough parts are that I can put it back on the road for around $500 INCLUDING the purchace of the truck Take about 2 weeks. I'm thinking about getting this as my DD. After I cut the roof off from behind the back doors and do some other things to lighten it I figure I can get about 400lb off it. If I'm lucky I may score a fiberglass front end and loos another 300lb. I figure if I can get the weght down to around 4500lb I can get about 22mpg out of it.

We won't even get into the body of our 59 sitting on our front lawn for a month while my wife and I replaced the floor.

I just might be the type of guy that causes HOA's. LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote