Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

any retired MILITARY airstreamers out there?

I'm curious to find out if there are any retired military folks out there who use the on-base sites while traveling? If so, I'd gladly post my email address to hear about some of the better places to stay. Florida, and particularly NAS (Naval Air Station) Key West but open to all location recomendations)

Dave (infinite LUX)
infinite LUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hi, Dave...

Oh, man... you mean that Uncle Sugar's Canoe Club has on-base camping now for retired military? Geez... I knew I shoulda stayed in past my six...

What rate are/were you? PH?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I'm E-7, not sure what that is in the USN, and still got a couple months left. Almost every base (regardless of the branch, Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, and Coast Guard) across the country has "FAM camps" This started about 30 years ago and continue to this day. They were developed bc many of the younger folks (who get paid very little) needed a way to travel around the country while on leave (vacation) also when they had family come to see them, it gave people a place to stay real close. It was/is a less expensive way for military families to recreate. (saleries for the military are still pretty low, hovering near the poverity line for many) While they still are used by many of the active duty folk, they are availible to retired as well. I've stayed at many, they are very basic. (have to go to the gym to shower, chow hall, comissary, BX/PX/Nex) but some, the ones in well liked locations have been built up. Almost all have a mix of "full-hookup" sites and tent sites. I can't wait to GO TO ALASKA !!! and the KEYs (cuz I love to fish down there. I'd love to spend some time in Hawaii, but have recently detected a slight problem concerning towing the TT there.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2003, 09:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Cool yeah?

how'd I get a RIVET?

Dave (infinite LUX)
Old 07-31-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
tadpole7

1970 31' Sovereign
I'm retired AF. I haven't used any FAM camps yet, but they are out there. Contact any base Recreation office or Special Services Office. There is a program for retiree's over 65 or if you have a disability, the Army Corp of Engineers has a Gold Card you can get. With this card you can stay at any Corp of Engineers camp site for half price. Their facilities are A1 and very well maintained.
Contact the closest Corp headquarters. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2003, 10:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Info

infinite LUX

Plse send me a PM..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Florida National Guard, 22 years, 1st Sgt.

We have used the FamCamps several times. One of the best is Andrews AFB . Tyndall AFB also has a nice camp ground.

Stop by almost any BX/PX and buy the "MILITARY RV, Camping & Outdoor Recreation Around the World" it's a book of Military Installation Facilities.

Order on line:
www.militaryliving.com
E-mail: milliving@aol.com

P.O. box 2347, Falls Church, VA. 22042-0347
(703) 237-0203

I hope this information is current, my book is a year or so old.
HURST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:40 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by infinite LUX
I'm E-7, not sure what that is in the USN, and still got a couple months left.
That would make you a Chief Petty Officer in the USN. Thanks for sharing your background. And thanks for staying in to retirement. It's folks like you and the others who have posted on this thread that have kept our country a world leader. Although you don't hear it much, we appreciate what you have done for us.

Quote:
(saleries for the military are still pretty low, hovering near the poverity line for many)
One of the major reasons I got out in '79 was to seek my fortune in after six years in. The other was that I was flight crew in Zumwalt's Navy... green dope was everywhere, and many of the mechs were stoners in those days. I thought I'd live a much longer life if I got out of flying in military airplanes. Thank God THAT problem was finally dealt with.

Quote:
I'd love to spend some time in Hawaii, but have recently detected a slight problem concerning towing the TT there.
I think that PeterH-79MH solved that problem for you... All you need to do is sell your TT and buy a motorhome like his!!!

Roger
Attached Images

85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:48 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Sorta retired

I have 15 years of "good time" and was assigned at the rank of Captain to the "retired reserve". I understand that I have the right to use military campgrounds, but I never have pursued it.

I did use one for a few nightso n Soloman Island, MD as a guest of a retired General friend. It was extremely nice and was within the secured area.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:25 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
Hi Dave,

I've been retired for 10 years now, got out as a MSgt with a line number for Senior.

We've used the base rec areas a few times. Now days there are some problems getting on base if you're towing. I suggest that you get the books that others have suggested. Call ahead and ask for the SP or MP desk and ask them what gate to use and what time to arrive is best. Most of the time they will direct you to the truck gate so you don't have navigate the snake course that is common today.

Wright Pat has a nice area as does Scott AFB. Offut is up comming as well as some southern bases. There is a Yahoo group geared towars the MIlitary called oddly enough Military Camping.

Mike
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Security

Not currently having any reason to go on a military base, I hadn't thought about all the increased security since 9/11. Since I am retired reserve with 15 good years, I don't have PX or commisary privileges and no rason to access a base. I can travel space available on military aircraft and use campgrounds, etc.

With the current world picture, I probably won't bother replacing my lost ID for the time being.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:05 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Chief Warrant (CWO4), U.S. Army Retired.......

in 1988 with 20 years. NAS Jacksonville has facilities on the St. Johns River. It is also somewhat on your way to Key West, if perhaps a little further East than you need to go while coming from Washington State. I suspect the big military facilities located around Eglin AFB and Pensacola NAS probably have FAM facilities. Patrick AFB (Cocoa, Florida) has some activities, but I'm not sure exactly what. Georgia and Florida State Parks are great and relatively inexpensive, although usually void of sewage hook-ups. Regardless, good luck in retirement and thank you for having served during a tough couple of decades for our servicepeople. Do you have an Airstream, or did I miss that somewhere?
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
In 1995 I finished up 25 years with the first 8 1/2 years active, rest reserves (as E-6, USN). I haven't tried any base camping facilities yet, but the lodges at various sites offer excellent value and comfort. Judging from the internet info, as has already been stated, most facilities are very basic. I try to pick sites affiliated with RPI and their $5 a night full hook up price.
Calvin
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #14
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
I'm still in the military and I've use on-base camping facilities at several bases during my current 20 years of service, ie. Elmendorf AFB, Little Rock AFB, and Maxwell AFB, just to name a few. Usually, these were used during a PCS, until housing was procured.

If you are looking for cheap camping then they are fine. If you are looking for camping where you get away, then normally these are not what you are looking for. I haven't attempted to use these facilities since 9/11, but I would think if you have a sticker on the windshield of your vehicle then there would not be a problem.

John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #15

1977 31' Sovereign
military base camping

For all the retired military give this site a look
www.armymwr.com/portal/travel/paths/
wacochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Talking

WOW !!

hey folks, thanks millions for the tips and advise, especially those who contacted me off forum. I have bought the Military RV'ers book (very good advise ) and I have researched all the tips I received here. It appears that the "membership" camping clubs are about the same price as on base RV sites (except for a couple locations, Keys, Washington DC, etc) One thing you mentioned as a problem could be viewed as an positive thing, (and I can't believe I'm about to say this cuz getting on-base in a car IS time comsuming since 9/11) But, where else can you park and camp in an RV where there is a large team of highly trained/well equiped Security Forces guarding the boundry? Here's a picture of my Airstream.
94 Excella 1000, 30ft

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2499  
Old 08-04-2003, 06:50 AM   #17
tadpole7

1970 31' Sovereign
Once you have served with honor and distinction in any branch of the Armed Services of the United States, you have became a Brother of thousands of unnamed men and women who have shared the same experiences you have. It is a club of Honor. It is a club of Distinction. Kinda like a Airstreamer huh!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
We just got back this weekend from an outing at Patrick AFB near Cocoa Beach. (Im retired Air Force) It has a nice facility and is easy to use in the summer months. Most of the Florida Fam Camps are nice but are mostly all full in the winter. MacDill in Tampa has a nice facility with lots of slots if you can handle the mosquitos in the summer. We try to stay in military facilities whenever we can. The price cant be beat and they have the best security in the country!

Tony......
newae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Retired from the USAF in '94 as an O4. Did 7 years enlisted starting in '71.

Have always taken advantage of base VOQs when traveling and will do the same with FamCamps now.

Oak Grove at Pensacola NAS is particularly nice. Keesler AFB is pretty good too. As mentioned, Wright-Pat's is nice also.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

cool thanks

Pensacola is my HOMETOWN. Family still there. Dad retired at this base.

db