Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Replacing Fantastics with MaxxFan question

I'm picking up 2 new MaxxFans fans with covers to replace the Fantastic Fans on our 05 Safari bunkhouse tomorrow. Am I right in thinking all I need is Sikaflex 715? I'd like to get everything I need from Camping World tomorrow when I pick them up. I found the awesome thread on sealants that Tin Tin et. al compiled. Wonderful resource!!! Thanks in advance for any guidance! I'm a master at being one item shy of getting the job done the first time!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
I'm picking up 2 new MaxxFans fans with covers to replace the Fantastic Fans on our 05 Safari bunkhouse tomorrow. Am I right in thinking all I need is Sikaflex 715? I'd like to get everything I need from Camping World tomorrow when I pick them up. I found the awesome thread on sealants that Tin Tin et. al compiled. Wonderful resource!!! Thanks in advance for any guidance! I'm a master at being one item shy of getting the job done the first time!

Dave

Good choice of the MaxxFans.....my Favorites!!

You will need the following for a complete installation:
• 1 roll of butyl tape (used as a gasket seal on the bottom edge of the fan's mounting flange
• Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the old sealant and prepping the roof surface.
•*sealant. I generally use Alpha Sealants 1021 if I'm going to apply a self-leveling sealant, but I prefer to use SikaFlex 221 instead and manually spread and smooth it around the edge and over the mounting flange and the screw heads.

**********************IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!!!*******************

I have been using a Sika product lately that is their surface prep and guess what????????????
IT CONTAINS ALCOHOL!!!! So after following Sika's tech recommendations all of these years to use ONLY mineral spirits as a cleaner and surface prep, THEY are now using alcohol in their proprietary cleaning and activator product!!!

I called a while ago and was told that isopropyl alcohol is perfectly OK for cleaning the surface prior to tech application of the SikaFlex AFTER FIRST CLEANING WITH MINERAL SPRIITS.......soooooo......that's what I now use.

Go figure!?!?!??!?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I installed Maxx Fans in my Avion recently and can't wait to use them next week when we head to the Florida Keys! I have had Fantastic Fans in my Airstreams, but really like the fact that I can leave these open in the rain & they fold down when not in use. I concur with lewster on the install. Only difference is that I used Eternabond (it's an Avion thing) around the perimeter after install. Never gonna leak!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	277022

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Thank you Lew!!! I was unsure about the Sikaflex 221 being too permanent/never getting it off again, but could use that for sure if it's the right stuff for the job.

Looks awesome, Becky!!! The Deluxe was my first choice, but I'm lacking the clearance behind one due to a skylight. I'm going with the reversible motor fans with the vent covers added over the top for a rain blocker.

I'll post a follow up after I'm done, which may be after I get the new Maxim skylight and go for everything at once. The rear fan and skylight are only a few inches apart, might as well be one application of sealant in between them.

DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Lewster,

So does that mean you now clean with mineral spirits first, then isopropyl??? Or do you just use the Sikka cleaning product?

What about when using the VHB tape, same stuff?

Thanks!
Troutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This is an upgrade I've done to two of my Airstreams. You'll love the MaxxAirs.

They came with the necessary screws, as Lewster said, I just bedded them in butyl tape. I used self-leveling sealant because I'm lazy.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I'm happy with my FANTASTIC fans, covered with Maxxairre hoods.; they are a very good design. However.......
My wife doesn't like the noise of ANY fan, so I contacted the MFR. and they sent me a sheet on installing a 10 watt resister in the power line. It worked, but I installed a second one in parallel and it slowed the fan down sufficiently to keep her happy. This on my 25'FC.
Maybe I'll do it on my 30'FC too.

"Never eat more than you came Lift" Miss Piggy
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Lewster,

So does that mean you now clean with mineral spirits first, then isopropyl??? Or do you just use the Sikka cleaning product?

What about when using the VHB tape, same stuff?

Thanks!
Exactly!! Same goes for VHB tape. Actually, I have been using 3 products lately....especially on very dirty Airstream roofs: Simple Green full strength as an initial cleaner, mineral spirits (actually carb cleaner) after that and than the Sika activator. Neither the Sika product nor alcohol seem to get all of the dirt off the roof, so they are a final stage.

Per their directions, I let it dry off for 10 minutes before applying the sealant.

When I am out of their product, I will again revert back to isopropyl alcohol for the final stage.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Good choice of the MaxxFans.....my Favorites!!

You will need the following for a complete installation:

• 1 roll of butyl tape (used as a gasket seal on the bottom edge of the fan's mounting flange

• Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the old sealant and prepping the roof surface.

•*sealant. I generally use Alpha Sealants 1021 if I'm going to apply a self-leveling sealant, but I prefer to use SikaFlex 221 instead and manually spread and smooth it around the edge and over the mounting flange and the screw heads.

**********************IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!!!*******************

I have been using a Sika product lately that is their surface prep and guess what????????????

IT CONTAINS ALCOHOL!!!! So after following Sika's tech recommendations all of these years to use ONLY mineral spirits as a cleaner and surface prep, THEY are now using alcohol in their proprietary cleaning and activator product!!!

I called a while ago and was told that isopropyl alcohol is perfectly OK for cleaning the surface prior to tech application of the SikaFlex AFTER FIRST CLEANING WITH MINERAL SPRIITS.......soooooo......that's what I now use.

Go figure!?!?!??!?

We have been use alcohol for years preparing our Aluminum skin repairs on passenger aircraft.
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote