Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
"PVC" Styled Sewer Storage/Rear Bumper Storage Repair

We have a 1988 Excella and the rear bumper storage area is somewhat rusted. Last weekend I noticed the sheet metal is coming loose in areas and starting to droop. I'm thinking the best solution is to install one of those "PVC" style sewer hose storage devices that hangs off of the belly pan to get the sewer hose out of the bumper storage area. And then make the necessary repairs to the bumper storage area. My questions are:

1. Is that "PVC" style sewer hose storage device easy or hard to install?
2. I guess I need to be really careful about drilling holes to connect the "PVC" style sewer hose storage device onto the belly. Any recommended locations to install this storage device or any locations to avoid (I probably need to look in the manual and locate the fresh water, black water and gray water storage tanks and avoid those areas)?
3. Any suggestions on repairing the rusted out sheet metal on the bumper storage area?
4. I wonder how a thick sheet of fiberglass would hold up as an alternative to the sheet metal for the bumper storage? At least I wouldn't have to worry about rust again.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I installed the pvc with the aluminum end caps,the door end comes with a flat plate that will reach back to the frame allowing you to use self drilling screws to attach to frame.Then just extend it till the cap end screws to the other side of the frame.You will encounter the gas line,I had enough slack in mine to get it lower than the pvc.
Without seeing your bumper pan it is hard to tell you anything. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Frank&Mike...We have one of those and we really like it. I just went out and looked to see how it is mounted... First it is a Valterra product. I went on line to their website...you can download a catalog here and the "EZ Hose Carriers" are shown on page 16 of the catalog. (Those in the catalog are white, but ours is black which I like better because it "disappears" visually.) They also show the two brackets that are used to mount them...one at each end. They come in various lengths...I didn't measure ours, but it is probably the 46" size and it will hold two 10' hoses. There are twist-on closures at both ends that are vented so the hose can dry out. According to the catalog the tube is 4.25" in diameter. Ours is mounted with access at the street side. One bracket is attached with metal screws at the inner edge of the curved edge of the bellypan, and the other end is attached by metal screws, one of which is in line with a number of rivets in the belly pan...I presume there's a beam under there that the belly pan is attached to...the other side opposite where it is attached in line with the rivets appears to have a plate inserted between the bracket and the belly pan ... no doubt to give it more stability where it is screwed to the bellypan. Ours is installed at a slight angle in order to avoid the exposed propane lines. We did not add ours...it was on the Bambi when we got it, but I don't see that it would be a difficult thing to do. It probably comes with instructions. By the way, a friend of ours has two or three of these and uses one or two of them for rugs, etc...they'd be good for anything that is long and narrow like fishing poles, etc... Hope this helps!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Your water tanks are in the boxes that are by the tires. They are galvanized & not part of the belly pan sheet in the back or front. If you want to attach anything to your belly pan, you should locate the frame rails that run across the trailer & attach supports to that, not just to the belly pan. I ordered an aluminum front & rear for a pvc pipe from a guy here in the classifieds. I haven't put it on yet, but that's how I'll do it when I get to it. As far as your rear bumper storage area. That piece of metal that is the bottom of the compartment is an extended piece of the belly pan. If it's just drooping, you can use aluminum rails on the edges of it & rivet it back into place. If it has holes in it, you can try to use fiberglass under the original piece & rivet it over the existing belly pan section. I think I would just get a new piece of aluminum & slide it over the old piece inside the compartment & then rerivet the whole business. You don't want to start cutting off the rear section of your belly pan unless you can find the frame that goes across the trailer & redo that section. Get some large head rivets from Inland RV or Vintage for belly pan repairs.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks very much to each of you for your replies. Everytime I ask questions on here everyone is so helpful and the replies from everyone even give me more things to help than I would have ever thought about. Ok, I'm thinking I can tackle this job now. Thanks again!
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Found them at Camping World, too... EX Hose Carrier at Camping World ....
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear bumper storage, sewer hose storage