Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
1980 Excella II

1980 31' Excella II
Los Alamos , New Mexico
New Airstream Skin

I have owned a number of Airstreams over the years and have also re-coated/painted a number of Airstreams over the years. I would be reluctant to buy another because of the need for extra maintanence on the skin.

I toured the plant last year and they mentioned that Airstream has been using a special aluminum skin with the UV resistance manufactured into the metal since about 2000. I would like to hear from those who have an Airstream built since then to guage how effective this skin is at eliminating oxidation and flaking. Better still if someone has info on field tests results on the skin and could guage the expected life span before needing painting or whatever.
glh101282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I understand the skin is holding up really well - Airstream sent Oasis in Tuson Az some test skin that they stored before their store - it just sat there out in the sun for several years with no peeling....

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You might want to check out this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Oh yeah - that is a major problem - - - - -
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
I would rather maintain the skin on an Airstream than own another brand where on a few of those brands the entire trailer has to be replaced every seven to ten years. Take a look at some of the ten year-old SOBs out there. How well have they aged?

Even though our unit is garaged, I still plan for the need to have the clear coat done on it every seven years or so if needed. The expense will be a bargain compared to having an SOB unit that is falling apart and needs to be replaced.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
In going a step farther on this thread since it has basically stopped, I would like to know what protective cleaners and waxes you guys with the new finishes use to keep the trailers looking nice? Since it is a clear coat type finnish on the trailer skin, do any of you use the new type of car poly's on them like Megiuar's NXT Tech wax 2.0? Or, is Walbernize still the wax of choice?
I might have asked this on another thread but can't seem to find it now, so any answers will be new to me, again.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
In going a step farther on this thread since it has basically stopped, I would like to know what protective cleaners and waxes you guys with the new finishes use to keep the trailers looking nice? Since it is a clear coat type finnish on the trailer skin, do any of you use the new type of car poly's on them like Megiuar's NXT Tech wax 2.0? Or, is Walbernize still the wax of choice?
I might have asked this on another thread but can't seem to find it now, so any answers will be new to me, again.

I use Meguiar's Direct Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 .

It seems to work well. Unfortunately it does not keep the dirt off.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Airstream sells and recommends Walbernize and many on this forum use it exclusively. Others use other products and seem satisfied with the results they get. More experienced Airstream owners will contribute to this thread so watch for their opinions.

My parents used Liquid Glass on their cars and I was impressed with the results. Anybody use it on their Airstreams? Any problems using it? I have some that I bought for my autos and was considering using it on the AS this spring.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
_

. , .
friends don't let friends apply walbern'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
...I would like to know what protective cleaners and waxes you guys with the new finishes use to keep the trailers looking nice? Since it is a clear coat type finnish on the trailer skin, do any of you use the new type of car poly's on them like Megiuar's NXT Tech wax 2.0? Or, is Walbernize still the wax of choice?...
short answer the owners manual sez "any quality auto wax" and does NOT mention walbern' any more...

YES it can be cared for like most automotive finishes...

keeping in mind the SKIN is thin and flexible, as is the clearcoat.

here are the basics...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...oat-18760.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...ize-31480.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...ing-35952.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...its-36047.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...tml#post481374

and on a BRAND NEW soon to arrive at the dealer unit...

i would INSIST that the dealer NOT clean/walb' the exterior when it arrives...

they will just scratch the damn thing up when it's brand new.

besides DETAILING the exterior is a great way to get VERY familiar with the trailer...

starting with post #182 here, read and look for about 10 posts...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...tml#post405592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
...My parents used Liquid Glass on their cars and I was impressed with the results. Anybody use it on their Airstreams?...
'mate...

i tried a test patch (~4 sq ft) last summer on both the 'stream and truck

usual cleaning and prep and so on, applied TWO COATS of the LG and the next day ANOTHER coat...

the product was NOT as easy to apply or remove as the NEWER poly/sealants...

and the test patch only "lasted" about 6 weeks parked OUTDOORS in full sun and weather...

while the surrounding sealant (megs 20 and 21) is still going NOW (which is more than 8 months LONGER)...

YMMV

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
My trailer is a 2003 Safari 28SO. It is now seven yeares old. I have no problem with the skin. The wheels do have some oxidation. Plus the lower hinge has some oxidation and flaking on it. I use Walbernize twice a year on the Stream. We leave home in the winter and head South. So we have driven in the snow, with salt, and what ever on the roads. I also put a good coat of waibernize on the bellypan every three years or so. I wash the stream off after we get down here. using water only. With a hard spray, and I don't wipe her down, let her air dry. So far so good.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
All good news about the wax products and care of the "newer" Airstream clear coat. The only coating I have ever delt with has been the Plasticoat finish.
I just got back home from the dealer and finally placed the order for a new 27' trailer.
2airishuman, great idea about them not washing or waxing it, I didn't think about that. I'll make sure to tell them "hands off". I'll do it myself.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote