Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
2008 23' FB Safari Rolled Need Your Input

Sorry to report that our 2 month old 23' FB was involved in a fluke accident Saturday, and ended laying on it's side on the I-26 freeway. Thank God that no one was hurt, the TV did sustain damage, but not as bad as it could have been, that is for sure.

The AS landed on the kitchen side, and when we opened the door it was if a bomb had gone off. The bathroom door and bathroom wall was ripped off. The wall units and cupboards all separated from the ceiling, entertainment components ripped out of the cupboards. All of the front windows are shattered. When it was on it's side we noticed one of the axles was bent and that the frame up front has bucked off the metal on the belly. The whole side that landed on the freeway was pushed in and dented/scratched, and visibly "pushed in" so that it looked off "round".

Considering that all the mechanicals are on the kitchen side, I am concerned about gas, water and drainage lines, as well as hidden structural damage.

I need your input from those that may have had similar damage and if it was considered a total loss. Since this is all new to me, I would like to get helpful information on how to deal with the insurance company. They were contacted immediately, and they have scheduled an independent appraiser to appraise the trailer that is in a lot in SC. We are now in FL and had to take all our personal belongings out of the trailer at the tow facility and leave it there. There is no doubt that the appraiser will not know what the heck they are looking at. Help!!! Any input will be greatly appreciated since I will be working on the insurance tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Nan
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Knock,,,knock!!!

Michelle? You out there?

This is a person who had a terrible roll and probably can empathize. So sorry for the news...happy that you and yours are O.K.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Me too, so sorry to hear about the brand new Airstream. If your insurance will go for replacement rather than repair I'd push for it. But do call Chris Burch at the factory and he will have all the information you need.

In Michelle's (thecatsandi) case the truck rolled and was totaled the Airstream disconnected and spun around with it's rear in the hill of the ditch, I think. No AS roll over but JC fixed her up good as new.

How did it happen, if you don't mind me asking?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm sorry to hear this happened, and it's good y'all are okay.
My initial reaction, based on other rollovers I've seen, is the trailer is a write-off. You have the outer skin, inner skin, all the bows on that side, appliances and cabinetry, even the frame and axles damaged. You might be able to straighten it out enough to be usable, but it will never again be "right". You may also find wiring and plumbing, LP, fresh water, and waste water, all damaged as well.
At least it was an Airstream, and the appraiser has something to look at besides a bent frame and a pile of 1x2s.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'll agree with Terry -- that is a mighty long list of damage that would take more to repair than buy new. It'll probably be totaled.

I'm not so sure the axle is bent from the accident. They are designed with an upward v-bend in the middle. 23-footer? Two axles. Or was the particular axle bent beyond this normal arch?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Im glad you ok and sorry about the trailer but they will make more rest assured. Your safety is foremost. Do you have any pictures of the trailers current condition?

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Nan - so sorry to hear about your accident. We, too, were involved in an accident this summer, so can empathize with your concerns. A young gal cut us off while passing, lost control of her car, and she wound up perpendicular to our path on the highway. In the attempt to go around her stern to avoid potentially killing her, we went off the highway & did a 270 degree roll of our F350 & 22' 75' Argosy. All this happened 1200 miles from home.

The trailer resisted rolling, as the 2" stinger bar was bent 15 degrees - the trailer's A-frame didn't budge, as it was not bent. Needless to say, after rolling, all of the interior cabinets were off the wall, with the exception of the rear bathroom closet. The weight of our solar panels dented in the roof such that my husband had to bend down inside the trailer.
Even though the towing company righted the trailer & towed it back to the impound yard on its own wheels (didn't witness this as I had a concussion & was semi-conscious at the time), the insurance company did "write-off" the trailer. FYI, there was very little frame damage, just scrambled innards and the extremely dented roof. Only the front & one side window was broken.

The insurance adjuster will probably give you a settlement amount with a "salvage" value. From your description, the trailer may be a write-off, especially if the cost to repair is deemed greater than the insured amount.

With any accident like this, be thankful that you are OK - as I was reminded after our accident - "trailers can always be replaced - good friends can't."

Take care
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sorry about the Airstream, Nan, but I'm glad no one was injured. From your description, it sounds like it is totaled. I just can't see that much repair being done correctly for less money than the cost of a new unit.. This is especially true when you factor in salvage value for undamaged parts. Like an earlier post stated, it may be able to be fixed, but it will never be right again.

If the insurance company starts pushing repair, I would immediately say that I want it repaired at the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio. Do not fold on your position. They will try to push you around. Stand your ground, and tell them that you have insurance and pay those premiums to put you back where you were, not in some half-assed thrown together piece of junk. Above all do not sign anything until you have read it carefully or have it reviewed by an attorney.

If you can let us know a little more about the mishap, we might have some other suggestions.

Hang in there, and let us know how it comes out.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
hello Brian - Moosetags, white light, vlamica, bob-canoestream, terry-overlander63, carol - wheel interested, and melody ranch, thanks for the important information. I have pics that I will post as soon as I can solve a connection issue. As soon as I have more info I will post to the site. Since the trailer is in SC, they are waiting to transport it to a lot in Gaston, hopefully today.

Thanks for the heads up on Chris Burch, I have already placed a call into his voicemail. I hope it is a total loss, I couldn't even imagine going through a repair. I'll keep you all updated! Thanks for the well wishes and support!

Nan
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
Sorry to report that our 2 month old 23' FB was involved in a fluke accident Saturday, and ended laying on it's side on the I-26 freeway. Thank God that no one was hurt, the TV did sustain damage, but not as bad as it could have been, that is for sure.

The AS landed on the kitchen side, and when we opened the door it was if a bomb had gone off. The bathroom door and bathroom wall was ripped off. The wall units and cupboards all separated from the ceiling, entertainment components ripped out of the cupboards. All of the front windows are shattered. When it was on it's side we noticed one of the axles was bent and that the frame up front has bucked off the metal on the belly. The whole side that landed on the freeway was pushed in and dented/scratched, and visibly "pushed in" so that it looked off "round".

Considering that all the mechanicals are on the kitchen side, I am concerned about gas, water and drainage lines, as well as hidden structural damage.

I need your input from those that may have had similar damage and if it was considered a total loss. Since this is all new to me, I would like to get helpful information on how to deal with the insurance company. They were contacted immediately, and they have scheduled an independent appraiser to appraise the trailer that is in a lot in SC. We are now in FL and had to take all our personal belongings out of the trailer at the tow facility and leave it there. There is no doubt that the appraiser will not know what the heck they are looking at. Help!!! Any input will be greatly appreciated since I will be working on the insurance tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Nan
Nan.

What exactly happened?

Many years ago, I was with the Insurance division of Airstream. Part of my job was to find out what caused roll overs, then advise the owners of what to do, if possible, so that the same thing didn't happen again. That happened over 1000 times (one thousand).

What tow vehicle was involved. (be exact)

What brand load equalizing hitch was used?

Did you have a sway control? If so, exactly which one?

What was the rating of the torsion bars?

With that information, hopefully, I can offer a remedy.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm sorry to hear of your accident but glad no one was seriously hurt. Metal and glass can be replaced...people can't.

Having been through a minor accident or two with my Airstream I can tell you they are not cheap to fix and if you insist on having it repaired at the factory so it is factory new (considering it only 2 months old, I don't think that is unreasonable) the insurance company should agree to total so you can replace it.

Keep us informed on the progress you make with the insurance company and document with photos for your own records.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
How equipped?

Nan.

How full or empty were the gray and black holding tanks?

How full or empty was the fresh water tank?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I don't think Chris is with a/s anymore...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Help on Uploading Pics

I wanted to upload accident pics from Iphoto to airforums and am having trouble - i get to the attach files, but how do you select photos from Iphoto? Any Apple gurus out there.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
OK figured it out

here is a pic of the AS, will download more later. I have had about as much of today, as I can stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	70836  
Old 11-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Ouch!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Glad you're okay!
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
iPHOTO doesn't interface with this site very easily... I prefer Picasa... nice and easy with the uploader app... you can find it here:
More Google Products

great little program for sharing photo's online- if you don't want to bother with a .mac (now its called .me) account
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Sorry to see that you had the accident. It is good that you are all right. The trailer, from the sounds of it will be totaled. I have two friends in SW Colorado that had accidents a couple of years ago due to no fault of their own and the insurance companies worked well with them. They both got their units replaced with like kind and qualities. I agree with Brian, though. Hold your own with them and don't show any back down from them.
Bob
Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Wow.. thanks for the picture. That much mass coming to a rest in that way must have been horific. Happy everyone is ok.

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote