Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Sovereign
Livingston , Texas
Wheels loud squealing when NOT braking, help

Just had annual brake service on 85 3-axel Sovereign. Worked fine on two short 10 mi trips. Next drove 50 mi. After just 20 mi noted very low fuel mileage (05 Suburban); driver commented felt we had an anchor out. Stopped to check brakes w/heat meter. Center hub drivers side was very hot (207) on hub. Proceeded on another 20 mi (freeway, no braking except for stopping), checked heat again, not as hot. At 50 mi stopped at camp ground, registered (checked heat again, all about same temp, whew, maybe something just had to wear in). Pulled out from office and wheels were squealing loudly, no braking. Passenger got out to determine what wheel was squealing, sounded like all of them or the one doing it was so loud it seemed like all. While brakes were serviced also replaced the 7-prong connector on the trailer that attaches to the Suburban and one tire was replaced.

Also, about 15 mi into trip on first very slight upgrade the Suburban shifted which it would not normally do on that slight grade (continued to do so on other slight grades). At about 25-30 mi out, the Check Engine Light came on solid (not blinking) in the Suburban. This occurred once before about a year ago on a very steep upgrade. When trailer was unhooked and vehicle driven to shop, light went out and they couldn't test for problem!

Anyone have ideas as to what is causing wheel/brake problem?? Faulty controller, bad wiring, or just Murphy?
krohnjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Sounds as thought the installer adjusted the shoes to tightly in the "at rest" position. The shoes are rubbing the inside of the drum tightly even when no power is being applied would be my guess.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Better pull it apart and inspect it.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Or jack up a wheel when cold and see if the wheel spins. (You did not specify and I am assuming drums brakes)The wheel should spin with a slight drag of the shoes against the drum.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Better pull it apart and inspect it.
Yep...may very well be the adjustment and/or shoes not installed rite.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Sovereign
Livingston , Texas
Thanks for input on wheel squeal

Thank for your comments. Yes, they are drum brakes and all that was done was pack wheel bearings and check brakes, none of which should have caused this problem IMHO. Much brake adjustment trouble since everything (brake assy, 12" hub/drum 6 lug 5.5", inner & outer bearings Dex drum) was replaced 2 years ago. So guess it's 50 miles back to shop for more adjustment hopefully without damage to the brakes.

After the brake work we went 10 mi and awaited awning parts for 3 days, drove 10 mi back to shop and brakes worked fine, no squealing, stopping fine. They re-checked them doing the jack up, spin (2.5 turns) and all were good except that center drivers side which was tight barely 1 spin. Loosened it, got it too loose more than 3 spins, so re tightened a bit. Checked and it did not go 2.5 turns but they said that was good and off we went.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
7 pin connector

check the connections inside the 7 pin and make sure they are correct! if the brakes are applied, it would match all of your symptoms, including the check engine light-probably a brake concern or signal light concern-both of which could be manifested by incorrect wiring in the 7 pin.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I don't think you'll get a 'check engine' from a trailer wiring issue... possible you were getting a transmission overheat problem... do you have a tranny temp gauge?

Even if the light goes out, an OBD reader should still pull up any codes it logged.

If you've logged 50+ miles with brakes dragging, they will have worn themselves in/off. Hopefully still enough material there that you aren't replacing shoes or drums...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Most check engine lights will reset after a certain number of starts with the problem not present
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
any new info on this thread?

I was wondering if the problem was ever resolved?
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Yep...may very well be the adjustment and/or shoes not installed rite.

Bob
Bob are you saying that servicing trailer brakes is more of a religious act. I Know that I generally invoke the name of God when servicing brakes on boat trailers - it's usually in a manner that would get me sent to the Mother Superior.

Dennis
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGJackson View Post
Bob are you saying that servicing trailer brakes is more of a religious act. I Know that I generally invoke the name of God when servicing brakes on boat trailers - it's usually in a manner that would get me sent to the Mother Superior.

Dennis
Very religious...going by my last experience with Dexter.
Turned out well after some divine intervention.

Bob
Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My trailer is a little older than yours 81 and I have similar problems. When the brakes are properly adjusted some of them run hot. Evidently, there is still some friction between the magnet arm and the drum face that caused the brakes to be on a little all the time. This problem is not consistant from wheel to wheel and you have some that run hot and lock prematurely and make noises. You are saying that you had new backing plates and drums a couple years ago and you are having this problem? Dexter has had some problems with shoes coming apart so you might want to pull the drum that is causeing problems and check things. If the drums get real hot you can pop a grease seal out and then grease gets on the shoes and causes them to lock up. Crappy shoe compound can cause all sorts of issues as well. The trailer brake shoes I have seen have about 1/8" of lining when new and who knows if they even care if the compound is correct. I had lockup problems on the back of my truck and it turned out to be cheap linings. I put a better grade of linings on and the problems went away. The problem is with trailers is that none of them are any good. Blame it on made in China and we don't care if it works as long as it is cheap.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Sovereign
Livingston , Texas
Wheels Squealing Solved

Thanks for all your input. We drove the 50 mi back to the shop and around town to use the brakes a lot. No squealing wheels on start up, yeah. Checked with heat gun and only one hub was about 20 degrees warmer than others but all at reasonable temp. We did go to the shop after that to let them know we had really road tested them (now at 100 miles). Braking did not seem quite right so the mechanic took it for a spin (with hubby in shotgun); did a lot of quick braking all the while adjusting the controller. We travelled about 175 mi after that and had no sliding wheels, adequate braking (tho it feels like an emergency stop might have the trailer pushing the tow a bit), with a slight brake squeal upon braking which we've always had. Controller will probably need adjustment again after more mileage.

As to the service engine light, it occurred once in the 175 mi trip (always happens on upgrade). Shortly thereafter had annual safety/emissions inspection. No problem passing tests. Attendant said it is probably a bad sensor so at next service will get it replaced.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

"Attendant said it is probably a bad sensor so at next service will get it replaced."

Oxygen sensor? Mass air flow? EGR valve? These sensors can be very difficult to diagnose correctly the first time. Especially with an intermittent check engine light. Some codes may not be stored in history.
Has your MPG gone down recently?
Keeping an accurate log can be very helpful in determining engine performance.
First thing I would do....check for a partially blocked fuel & air filter,replace. Also if the engine has been running rich for an extended period,(02,MAF,EGR), the CAT converter may be restricting the exhaust flow.

The newer sensors are much more reliable now, so care is needed in the diagnoses.

Bob
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Pull the codes on it and see which sensor is bad.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote