Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Dexter brake shoes....a problem.

I found this problem while servicing the wheel bearings.

I replaced these shoes three years ago, they had less than 6000 miles on them.
There was plenty of friction material left, no cracking or evidence of overheating. A simple, but dangerous case of bonding failure.

Just an old "knuckle buster" here wishing for rivets.

Contacted Dexter yesterday, awaiting a reply.

Bob

POI...they ain't cheep, $252.30 for four sets.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
ouch! I just bought complete brake, magnets/baking plates $180 free shipping

Etrailer.com

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
ouch! I just bought complete brake, magnets/baking plates $180 free shipping

Etrailer.com
Had to get it back together ASAP, didn't need all the hardware, just better quality shoes.

No word back from Dexter yet.

Bob
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Seems like having a set plus a spare set made to your specs would be a good idea.

After reading John Barca's problems with DEXTER drums over on WOODALLS, and now your irritation at their shoes, putting discs higher on list. Nothing is perfect, but "cheap" ought to also be reliable. It ain't, not any more. Andy/Inland RV makes the same point (balance; out-of-round).

Off-topic, but noted some guys buying DEXTER axles with higher rated beams/tubes in order to get the 12" brakes.

I've flat forgotten what size should be the ones on yours, Bob?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I have had same problem on two different brakes in last three years.

I have a slightly different explanation. It is my opinion and the shop where I have been buying shoes agrees, that rust on the shoes gets under the bonding cement and causes them to release. It takes 2-3 years for this to occurr.
Only solution is to check your wheel temps every time you get out of the rig. Good old Chinese crap manufacturing.

I attended the Dexter presentation at Sarasota. The fellow doing the presentation said the assemblies are american made with chinese brake shoes.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Perry,

12"X2"...It was a little frustrating at the RV store trying to tell the difference between the 5k shoes and the 7k's. The 7's are supposed to have a better quality semi-metallic friction material but....Iv'e been in the business long enough and have always been able to tell them apart. They looked and felt exactly the same. I'm hoping I can get these cores re-done locally, but not real confident, the cost to drill them and fabricate the material may be prohibitive.

Wing,

Only problem for me with that theory.... as you can see in the pic's, not a lot of rust at all, check the shoe that separated completely, mostly shiny, as a matter of fact, not much evidence of adhesive either.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08169.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	154198  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up An up-date....

Well I contacted Buffalo Clutch Co. this morning to follow up on whether it is possible to have these Dexter cores re-built with riveted linings.

Yes it is, $15 per shoe.

Greg at BC said he is very familiar with the problem Dexter is having with their Chinese manufactured shoes. Bonding failure is a common problem even without evidence of overheating or excessive rust.
He noted that it's not exclusive to Dexter, most manufacturers are using Chinese shoes with their US made axles.

Looks like I'll retrieve them from the trash and save them for next time.
Just makes no sense to me, getting a complete assembly when all you really need is a quality brake shoe you can depend on...support your local small business.

Bob
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think the crappy shoe material is part of my erratic brake performance problems. Too bad there is not a car part that would fit.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
That's a bummer because I'm about 2 months away from replacing the trailer brakes, including backing plates, magnets, shoes, bearings, seals, drums, etc.. This is in preparation for a trip in August to Colorado. I hate to think I'll have to at least consider a change to disk brakes. I think I saw somewhere that the disk brake change over ran something like $1100 just for parts.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well I contacted Buffalo Clutch Co. this morning to follow up on whether it is possible to have these Dexter cores re-built with riveted linings.

Yes it is, $15 per shoe.

Greg at BC said he is very familiar with the problem Dexter is having with their Chinese manufactured shoes. Bonding failure is a common problem even without evidence of overheating or excessive rust.
He noted that it's not exclusive to Dexter, most manufacturers are using Chinese shoes with their US made axles.

Looks like I'll retrieve them from the trash and save them for next time.
Just makes no sense to me, getting a complete assembly when all you really need is a quality brake shoe you can depend on...support your local small business.
Bob
bob, you don't still re-rivet your own linings? ;-) i've noticed rivet holes on a lot of bonded shoes i've seen.

i miss riveted linings too. i was told that they dissipate heat better.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I just did the backing plate replacement recently. Is it just me or are the linings very thin. I actually wondered why I was bothering. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
already installed?

Have you finished your install of the new shoes? if not, have them riveted, also. save yourself some aggravation down the road. If so, how much work is it to take them out versus the lost miles in replacing them prematurely? thanks for the headsup.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
this is pretty interesting. I have about 500 miles on my new Dexter axle, and have noticed that the brake drums get rusty very quickly- we live in a damp environment, and the car brakes grind after sitting for a few days, but I had never noticed this with the trailer. How many miles have you all gotten out of a set of brake shoes?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yes they are very thin and they should be twice that thick to fill out a standard 12" drum. If they are not thick enough they are only going to touch the drum in the middle which causes problems. I have never had glued on linings fail before on a car.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
I just did the backing plate replacement recently. Is it just me or are the linings very thin. I actually wondered why I was bothering. Sal.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Yes they are very thin and they should be twice that thick to fill out a standard 12" drum. If they are not thick enough they are only going to touch the drum in the middle which causes problems. I have never had glued on linings fail before on a car.

Perry
So, as thin as they are, not enough "meat" for rivets? Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Since these brake situations are taking place, it would be wise
to inspect the brakes every spring before you use the trailer.
Rust can get in between the shoe and the lining.
This has happened on cars/trucks.
Heat, as well as inferior materials can definately cause the lining to separate from the shoe. I'm sorry my fellow airstreamers are experiencing these problems.
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I wonder if disk brake pads are made in china as well. Maybe going to disk brakes would make these problems go away. However, if the disk brake systems use a trailer specific brake pad then you may have the same problems because there is this mindset in the industry that anything trailer is not worth spending the money to do right. Why does something that is used on farmer John's pig trailer that never goes over 25 MPH, need to be engineered correctly.

Perry
Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
Sal,
Yes...the Dexter lining's are a lot thinner than a regular auto replacement.

That's the reason you can't just drill and rivet a standard Dexter shoe. You need enough material on the new lining to account for the drilling and countersinking of the rivet holes in the new linings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
Have you finished your install of the new shoes? if not, have them riveted, also. save yourself some aggravation down the road. If so, how much work is it to take them out versus the lost miles in replacing them prematurely? thanks for the headsup.
Yes, I have replaced with OEM Dexter 7000lb shoes.
How much work? I think what folks find most frustrating about replacing just the shoes is getting the darn springs re-secured without the proper tools. Most find it easier to replace with the "loaded" assembly. The price's quoted on etrailer say to me that the entire assemblies are made in China.
That may very well also apply to the Airstream OEM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
this is pretty interesting. I have about 500 miles on my new Dexter axle, and have noticed that the brake drums get rusty very quickly- we live in a damp environment, and the car brakes grind after sitting for a few days, but I had never noticed this with the trailer. How many miles have you all gotten out of a set of brake shoes?
Surface rust on the friction surface of drums & rotors is common in damp conditions. Not usually a serious problem on vehicles used every day as the friction material usually removes it within a couple brake applications. On a trailer that sit's for an extended period it becomes a bit more of a problem. But as you can see in the pic's from my bearing re-pack post, even after sitting thru the WNY Winter it's not cause for drum replacement.
I had less than 10k on the OEM's, not for ware but for cracks and glazing, 6k on the second set for bonding failure.

Perry,

Have you replaced the shoes with the 7000lb replacement's? They are supposed to have a more aggressive friction material than the 4-5k shoes.

Bob,

You might consider trying to find a local brake rebuilding shop in your area that can do the riveted up-grade.
Or do the google for Buffalo Clutch in NY and ask Greg for his recommendation's, he seemed to be very familiar with the bonding problem.

Bob
Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I think my approach will be....take the new shoes to a Brake and Clutch rebuilder and have them surfaced with the best shoe material plus rivets.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
I think my approach will be....take the new shoes to a Brake and Clutch rebuilder and have them surfaced with the best shoe material plus rivets.
Bob,

Keep us posted...

I plan to have my cores done also but won't be installing them until the new Dexters fail/ware out.

Bob