Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Your wheels were matched with the trailer at AS. Since you are not changing them there is really no concern there imho. Your matching new tires with the wheels. The Michelin LTX/MS P235 R15 108 T E2 is D Rated 8ply @ 50PSI and E Rated 10 Ply @ 65 PSI. Make sure the tire has E2 on the sidewalls.
At 50 PSI it gives you 2,185 LBS load capacity.

Here is a link to what the circled E2 REALLY means.

http://www.tyrespeedrating.co.uk/tyre-e-mark/

AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Your wheels were matched with the trailer at AS. Since you are not changing them there is really no concern there imho. Your matching new tires with the wheels. The Michelin LTX/MS P235 R15 108 T E2 is D Rated 8ply @ 50PSI and E Rated 10 Ply @ 65 PSI. Make sure the tire has E2 on the sidewalls.
At 50 PSI it gives you 2,185 LBS load capacity.
Also notice the *P* in front of the numbers. That means it is a *P metric* - and all P metric tires have to be derated by a factor of 1.1 when used on a trailer (or a truck or a multipurpose vehicle.)

That means the actual load carrying capacity is 1985#.

Technically it is an Extra Load (XL) tires - it does NOT have a *Load Range* designation.

And as has been pointed out, the e2 is the certification indicator and has nothing to do with load carrying capacity.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Really good info.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Also notice the *P* in front of the numbers. That means it is a *P metric* - and all P metric tires have to be derated by a factor of 1.1 when used on a trailer (or a truck or a multipurpose vehicle.)

That means the actual load carrying capacity is 1985#.

Technically it is an Extra Load (XL) tires - it does NOT have a *Load Range* designation.

And as has been pointed out, the e2 is the certification indicator and has nothing to do with load carrying capacity.
XL means Extra Load but it does not tell you the what it actually is. There is no information on the Michelin website at all that is useful however Discount tire has it clearly stated. But even there you have to drill down to find it. The E2 is what I stated.
As to derating a tire based on regulations my opinion is that the regulations need to be updated. Todays tires are far superior than when the regulations were written. And common sense tells me the "Derated" doesn't poof magically lowers the load capacity of the tire. It doesn't magically peel of a couple plyes. The load capacity is still 2,185 LBS at 50 PSI.

The Discount tire Store website also has a very informative piece on the ST Tires. I highly recommend that everyone reeds it. It tell you point blank that ST tires will come apart at some point regardless of the miles on it and there will be thread separation for sure if an ST tire is driven over 65 MPH.
I believe a non ST tire is far safer to use .

Obamacare Insurance regulations state that I a 72 year old male need a mammogram and maternity coverage. So much for Governmental regulations. I take them with a grain of salt and apply common sense to everything I do.
In recognizing the short comings of the average user, tire companies build in a lot of extra capacity beyond what they stamp on the tire to account for that.
BTW the ST tire is built according to Government Rules and Regulations. That is why there is so much ST tire failure. I would go bonkers trying to stay under 65 MPH on a arrow straight interstate with good weather and no traffic.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Aptos , California
Thank you everyone

Well my first time on the forum. Wow!. Great input by all that responded to my question on finding the wheel load rating on my 2015 AS 25'FB. The load rating was right there on the inside of one of the spokes. Used a mirror instead of pulling the wheel. The reason for all of this was to upgrade my tires and was looking to go the Michelin. Have been in a few tire shops and made calls over the the last couple of days. You should have seen the looks I got when talking about going to the Michelin tire. They just about all thought I was crazy. When explaining the load rating is equal or greater than I need for my trailer and other details they still asked me why I wouldn't put an ST tire on my trailer and a passenger tire was not correct. Even talked to Michelin help desk which were very informative and helpful, but in no way we're they going to say put their P rated tire on my 15" 225 75r 15's. You would think the rv industry and tire industry would get together and figure something out, they would make millions! So I will go back to the blog and beat to death the old tire question one more time. But thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
XL means Extra Load but it does not tell you the what it actually is. There is no information on the Michelin website at all that is useful however Discount tire has it clearly stated. But even there you have to drill down to find it. The E2 is what I stated. ......
Frank, I am sorry, but you have both those things entirely wrong. As a tire engineer with over 40 years designing, testing, and explaining tires, I could quite literally spend a couple of pages pointing to the sources and explaining what they mean. Suffice it to say that the Michelin tire in question is not a Load Range E and the e2 refers to the certification.

Quote:
....... As to derating a tire based on regulations my opinion is that the regulations need to be updated. .......
Sorry, again, but the regulations were proceeded by the engineering. The derating appears in the TRA Yearbook and has since somewhere about 1968. (TRA = The Tire and Rim Association, the US tire standardizing body).

If you dig a little deeper into the engineering, you'll find that derating is common for different types of service. This is just one of many.

I am not going to comment on the rest of your post, so I am truncating it. You have some faulty concepts about how things work, so I suggest you ask questions before you post about tires again. Tireman9 and I are always here to help guide you through the technology - which is, indeed, complex and sometimes not at all intuitive.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #21
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Circled E2

I took the time to chat with Discount tire about what the circled E2 really means. Here is that chat:
Quote:
Info
at 7:00, Jun 15:
Thank you for choosing Discount Tire Chat. Our goal is simple: To provide YOU with an outstanding experience.
Info
at 7:00, Jun 15:
Hello! My name is Phillip, how may I help you today?
Bob
at 7:01, Jun 15:
can you explain to me what a circled E2 means on the sidewall of a tire
Phillip
at 7:02, Jun 15:
Hi Bob! I would be happy to explain and thank you for connecting today...
Phillip
at 7:03, Jun 15:
The E2 on the sidewall represents the construction of the tire, an E load rating refers to a 10 ply rated tire.. The "E2" specifically, is the same as a standard E, those tires just run on a different psi scale.
Phillip
at 7:04, Jun 15:
For example, an E1 or just E will reach their max load carrying capacity at 80 psi where an E2 reaches max load carry capacity at 65 psi.. It can still hold the same weight, just at a lower psi
Bob
at 7:06, Jun 15:
wow, that is completely different than what some other web site say. They are saying it is where the tire was made
Phillip
at 7:08, Jun 15:
Hm, that is odd.. Not to my knowledge, it should say somewhere on the sidewall where the tire was made, but it is not represented by the E2.
Bob
at 7:10, Jun 15:
can you go to this link and explain
Bob
at 7:10, Jun 15:
http://www.tyrespeedrating.co.uk/tyre-e-mark/
Phillip
at 7:13, Jun 15:
Ah I see, looks like I misunderstood you.. Looks like that refers to where it is made, I was more looking at this, click HERE .. This will link you to a tire with the "E2" ply construction..
Phillip
at 7:14, Jun 15:
Underneath the name of the tire you will see the size followed by the "127 Q E2"
Bob
at 7:20, Jun 15:
yes, i see that but it is not a circled E2. The reason for this is there is an argument going on on the Airstream forum about what exactly this means. There is one member who keeps saying the Michelin tire with a cicled E2 has the rating you first said. This is miss leading and has some thinking it has more load capacity than what ir really has.
Bob
at 7:22, Jun 15:
are you willing to say now that a circled E2 means where the tire was manufactured?
Phillip
at 7:25, Jun 15:
I do understand the confusion.. Now from reading up on this a bit more, it doesn't look like this is where the tire was manufactured.. The first paragraph on the link mentions the E mark... "certifies that the tyre has been approved for use in Europe.It also signals that the tyre has met certain sizing, performance and marking requirements."
Phillip
at 7:27, Jun 15:
Then the number next to the E refers to the country the tire has been approved for.. In this case, an E2 would be approved to be driven in France.
Bob
at 7:31, Jun 15:
so you are saying a circle E2 has a 10 ply E rating at 65psi? and not the other? This is very important to us who use these tires on our travel trailers.
Phillip
at 7:36, Jun 15:
No sir, sorry for the confusion.. The E2 , when referring to ply construction, is only found on wider truck tires, not trailer tires.
Phillip
at 7:39, Jun 15:
What you guys are referring to with the circled "E2" or a more common "E4" simply tells you where the tire was approved for.
Bob
at 7:40, Jun 15:
Great! that is what I needed to know. Do you mind me quoting you on what a circled E2 means?
Phillip
at 7:41, Jun 15:
Not at all, Bob!
Hopefully this will stop the miss leading on what a circled E2 means.

AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote