Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Jim. Sure, all of this is home mechanic stuff. You need space to park and work, Jack and jackstands. When you jack up the trailer using the jacking point ( check your manual ) the 2 wheels will raise off the ground. So to make life easy plan to do 2 wheels on the same side at the same time. If doing it based on regular maintenance plan on replacing the seals and packing the bearings. Other jobs may arise as you inspect during the job. So be a good boy scout and get the seals ahead of time. There is a nice tool shown earlier on this thread for packing the bearings. It works great and will work for most all car and light truck front wheel bearings that are meant to be re-packed. Many newer vehicles have a sealed bearing that is not meant to be removed and re-packed. But you don't need the special tool. You can clean the bearings using a solvent and pack the grease using your hands just as well. Just not as fast. Re-assemble using your new seals and tighten as directed and you're good to go for a test spin. Check the hubs with your hand after a few miles. They may be warm but never should be too hot to touch. That's a symptom of the hub nut being too tight or the brakes dragging.

Sorry to ramble. The point is, this is a basic job and well within the average mechanical skills. No special tools required. Just stuff we all probably carry with us on every trip. Plenty of help here on the forum to answer any question that arise.

Good luck, go for it.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington
....and lots of rags or paper towels!!!

mile2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Here's a link to a bearing repack video. I watch this every year to prepare for my bearing packing project. I do this job at the storage facility because my driveway is too steep, so I always need a reminder to help me collect tools and supplies for the trip. By the way, I'm not really impressed with the tool selection in the video but I think their point is that it doesn't take fancy tools to do this job. For me, if I come across a damaged bearing, I would rather have a local parts shop use a press to remove and install a bearing race in a hub. Fortunately with annual maintenance I never had to deal with damaged bearings or races.

Repack Trailer Hub Bearings Demonstration Video |
cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A shop and a press make quick work of the bearing races. They definately should be replaced when replacing bearings. Of course if doing a re-packing there is no need. But they are easily replaced with common tools, ie. a long punch and ball peen hammer and a little effort. Nothing to be intimidated by. But for those that prefer it there is always the option of taking them to a shop. I've done heavy trucks using the same method. A bigger hammer and bigger punch and bigger effort but the job is the same.

my new motto " I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you ". I've read and seen some horror stories of trailer towing and this helps to keep my sane.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote