Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Rochester , New York
TT sway w/ Equal-I-Zer or Reese Dual Cam

We just traded our 19'Bambi CCD for a 25' FB International. We have been very happy towing the Bambi with an Equal-I-Zer hitch, but made the mistake of buying the 90-00-0600 model (600# tongue wgt and 6000# TT wgt) instead of the 1000#/10000#, and now must upgrade.

I was all set to buy another Equal-I-Zer until I ran across the following article written in 2004: Trailer Sway: A Hidden Danger and A Reliable Fix / Products Liability Update / Resources / ProductsLiability.net - ProductsLiability.net . The dreaded controversy "should I or should I not buy a Hensley" resurfaced for me. Yes, I know the article was written by a not exactly disinterested product liability lawyer, but still the statement:

"to date there has never been a single trailer sway accident when a trailer was equipped with a Hensley Arrow"

is hard to dismiss.

I believe the Hensley provides a theoretical advantage for sway control. What is less clear is whether this theoretical advantage matters when towing a 25' Airstream with a 3/4 ton pickup. I know this question has been extensively debated by knowledgeable people on both sides of the issue so I am reluctant to start yet another thread. Still, I'd like to make my decision with as much data as possible. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone about your personal experience with: (a) specific instances of trailer sway and the circumstances under which it happened, (b) specific instances of no trailer sway when towing in adverse conditions w/ either a Reese dual cam or Equal-I-Zer.
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I think your truck is big enough that you would not really need to spend the extra money for a Hensley. I tow a 26 foot Overlander without anything but a friction bar on a Reese using a 3/4 ton Ford van without a problem. When I towed my 31 footer I used a Reese with the dual cam system. I drove it alright for 50,000 miles but my wife did not like it on Interstates with lots of trucks passing or going down hill through the mountains. If you have the extended cab or crew cab it will be even better with the longer wheelbase.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
(b) specific instances of no trailer sway when towing in adverse conditions w/ either a Reese dual cam or Equal-I-Zer.
Downhill on an Interstate in a light rain with an 18 wheeler zooming by - Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 16' Bambi, Equal-i-zer - no sway problem.

That said...you now have a large Airstream (smallest of the large ones...but a widebody nonetheless) and you have a 3/4 ton truck. If I had your equipment, I'd go with the Hensley.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
I opted for the Equal-i-zer system when we bought our 28' International, due to the many endorsements of it on this forum and the Open Roads forum. I also tow with a 2500HD Duramaz powered pickup and I have never had reason to doubt our choice. I considered the Hensley briefly, but ruled it out as the cost did not seem to offer our TT-TV package any great advantage over the Equal-i-zer. If I was going to tow a 34 footer with a 3/4 ton Suburban, then I might consider it. But for a 25 foot Airstream behind a 2500HD, I would not go the Hensley way.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
"to date there has never been a single trailer sway accident when a trailer was equipped with a Hensley Arrow"

is hard to dismiss.
But it should be because it is false. The Hensley Hype (tm) should create a great deal of skepticism in anyone looking at hitches.

Both the Dual Cam and Equal-i-zer are about equivalent in performance and one level up fromt the most common braking bar. The Dual Cam is usually the route if you have a Reese or EZ Lift type load leveling hitch already and want an add on. The Eq is probably the best bet if starting from scratch as it is a simpler design with fewer parts. Blue Ox sells a sway inhibiting hitch very similar in method to the Eq but a bit more expensive.

If considering the Hensley, also take a look at the Pull Rite. Both are very good at improving handling. They are often used to cover over or compensate for other flaws in towing rigging.

As for the quote - take a look at insurance rates. When Hensley can get insurance companies to provide a discout for using their hitch then you will know that there is something significant to consider. Meanwhile, watch out for all the other people trying to spend your money - especially in the name of safety.

It never hurts (except in the pocketbook) to add special shocks, springs, tires, wheels, and other things to improve handling. Sometimes it makes a noticable difference, sometimes not. Sway control fits into this regime. It will not prevent an accident if you don't drive your rig properly or make a bad decision or have an equipment failure.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
It is not all hype

We had a Reese on our 25' and now have a Hensley. When properly (emphasis mine) setup the Hensley eliminates sway. I'll be the last person to shill for Hensley as the hitch can be an expensive pain in the ass (many recent posts can be found on the subject), but it does eliminate sway. I would say it performs better then the Reese in towing related activity. But hitching up requires at least a 6 month learning curve. Our insurance agent has asked us if we use a Hensley either.
-KL
Old 03-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Rochester , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
We had a Reese on our 25' and now have a Hensley. When properly (emphasis mine) setup the Hensley eliminates sway. I'll be the last person to shill for Hensley as the hitch can be an expensive pain in the ass (many recent posts can be found on the subject), but it does eliminate sway. I would say it performs better then the Reese in towing related activity. But hitching up requires at least a 6 month learning curve. Our insurance agent has asked us if we use a Hensley either.
-KL
Silverback,

Did the Reese have dual-cam or friction for sway control?
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

The RV Net forum has had discussions about a "Hensley bump" sometimes reported by Hensley owners. It seems that under certain conditions, the same principles that make the Hensley effective as a sway-prevention device can actually cause stability problems, including reported loss-of-control accidents. No device is prefect under all circumstances.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would ask you to check this out before you give up on your current hitch.
While on level ground with the trailer positioned over the ball just before hitching up measure the height of the front and rear fenders of your truck. Now hitch up with out moving the truck and again measure the fenders. If the hitch is set up right the fenders should drop in height in about a 60/40 ratio. That is the total drop in the fenders should have the front fender dropping about 40% of the total drop and the rean dropping about 60%. If you are not dropping the front fender the equalizing bars either are not pulled up enough or are too light for the job.

Another way to look at this is if the rear fender dropps 1/2 in. the front should drop about 3/8in. These measurments will very somewhat depending on the truck springs but the important point is you want to see weight transfered to the front axle. If the front axle is coming up you will have sway because of the reduced road friction on the front axle.

All too many trailers I see with weight distrubiting hitches are not set up to do the job because most people do not want to raise the trailer/truck combination high enough while hitching to allow the bars to be set right. If you can pull the bars up without lifting the rear of the truck yuo are stronger than the average.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
hiker,
Our Reese was a dual cam model. It worked great on two Airstreams for us but you felt the "push" from the big rigs going by. That is what is gone with the Hensley. I have never heard of (or experienced) the Hensley bump. I'll have to read up on that.
-KL
Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Reese dual cam... loved it so much we are getting another for our present Argosy... sold the hitch with the last Argosy... won't make that mistake again..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67
The RV Net forum has had discussions about a "Hensley bump" sometimes reported by Hensley owners. It seems that under certain conditions, the same principles that make the Hensley effective as a sway-prevention device can actually cause stability problems, including reported loss-of-control accidents. No device is prefect under all circumstances.
The "Hensley bump" occurs when the brake controller in improperly adjusted. By increasing the initial braking voltage to the TT brakes via the controller, the "bump" disappears. I believe this issue is addressed in the manual for the hitch.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
BeBop,
I know exactly what you mean now. We did feel it on the first test drive. I adjusted the Prodigy at the dealers when we set it up. You have to bump up the multiplier.
-KL
Old 03-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
New from Reese

Reese has a new equalizing hitch and it is based on the friction dampening effects similar to the Equal-I-Zer brand name. Reese's name for this hitch is the Pro-Series. It is available in 750, 1100 and 1400 pound tongue weight capacities. The cost is reasonable as well. I plan to get one soon.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Fact :::: Hensley hitches are expensive, very expensive when compared to other hitches
Fact :::: Hensley hitches perform as advertised
Fact :::: I would never tow with anything else
pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I tow a 5200lb Overlander with a Suburban 1500, hitched together with a Reese Dual Cam HP.
I am not happy with the hitch at all at this time.
I have a tongue weight of under 600lbs, perhaps 650 with a full water tank.
I will try WD bars this season made for this light weight, as my current bars are 750lb bars. If the hitch does not perform better with closely matched bars, then I will ditch it.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Before you spend money on a set of bars post a pic of your setup.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I tow a 5200lb Overlander with a Suburban 1500, hitched together with a Reese Dual Cam HP.
I am not happy with the hitch at all at this time.
I have a tongue weight of under 600lbs, perhaps 650 with a full water tank.
I will try WD bars this season made for this light weight, as my current bars are 750lb bars. If the hitch does not perform better with closely matched bars, then I will ditch it.
Is that the same setup you had on your Trade Wind?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The lighter weight bars will have no effect on how well the Twin cams perform. The only reason to go to the heavier weight bars if you are trying to max out the weight transfer and go through some really bad ditches than might permanently bend the bars. How much weight do you think you are transferring to level out your tow vehicle? I doubt to would be more than 350 pounds. You should be able to measure the amount of defection in the bar when the rig is setting on level pavement. The actual bend should be less than 2 inches.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you may not need a Ha Ha, but if that is what will give you peace of mind, I think you should buy it. If for any reason you feel more comfortable with a Ha Ha than you would with anything else, if your mind tells you, you're not going to be safe without it, you won't be. Hensley Arrow is a very good hitch and I think anyone who has a trailer longer than 25 feet or people who, in their mind, won't feel safe without one, absolutely should buy one. That in it's self will make it safer for all involved.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote