Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Rubber bands for Equal-i-zer...

Many people complain about the loud popping sound or screeching that often accompanies low-speed turns with the Equal-i-zer hitch. I've found a simple solution that seems to work most of the time: rubber bands.

The source of the noise seems to be binding between the square bars and the L-shaped retaining pins. There is enough play in the pins to bend them when the bars move. The popping happens when the binding is released. That's my thinking.

So, the solution is to hold up the L-shaped retaining pins with a rubber band wrapped around the wire retaining pin ends and the big L-bracket on which the bars rest. In this way, the L-shaped retaining pins sit upright and are far less likely to bind, thus no noise.

Sorry I don't have a picture handy, but I hope this explanation is self-evident.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
I think I see what you're saying but I'm not sure the bands would hold. Isn't that lateral play part of the way the friction sytem works?

brad (entirely NOT an engineer).

edit: re-reading your first post, you've gotten this to work already?

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
I think I see what you're saying but I'm not sure the bands would hold. Isn't that lateral play part of the way the friction sytem works?

edit: re-reading your first post, you've gotten this to work already?
The rubber bands just hold the L-shaped retaining pins upright. There is no pressure on the rubber bands. They just prevent or minimize or eliminate the binding between the retaining pins and the square weight-distribution/anti-sway bars.

This solution is far, far better than greasing the bars that has often been the suggested solution to the noise. IMHO, greasing the bars diminishes their usefulness as anti-sway devices and as such should not be done at all.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
The rubber bands just hold the L-shaped retaining pins upright. There is no pressure on the rubber bands. They just prevent or minimize or eliminate the binding between the retaining pins and the square weight-distribution/anti-sway bars.

This solution is far, far better than greasing the bars that has often been the suggested solution to the noise. IMHO, greasing the bars diminishes their usefulness as anti-sway devices and as such should not be done at all.
Mike,

If you talk to Equal-I-Zer tech support, they will tell you that greasing the bars has absolutely no effect on the sway control capabilities of the hitch, other than to reduce the noise.

I didn't think it would work either, but after I did lube the bars, I have not noticed any difference in the performance of the hitch.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Talking

Thanks for the post. Such a cosmetic issue but it sure seems to bother people (Including folks riding in my car!). For us non-visual thinkers, is there any chance you could post a picture?
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
I doubt Tech Support personnel are engineers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Mike,

If you talk to Equal-I-Zer tech support, they will tell you that greasing the bars has absolutely no effect on the sway control capabilities of the hitch, other than to reduce the noise.

I didn't think it would work either, but after I did lube the bars, I have not noticed any difference in the performance of the hitch.
Part of the anti-sway capability of the Equal-i-zer hitch is doubtlessly due to the friction between the bars and the L-bracket supports. Greasing the bars here would/should reduce the capability. Perhaps Tech Support people are just trying to placate customers rather than trying to inform them.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 09-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Lube can work

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Part of the anti-sway capability of the Equal-i-zer hitch is doubtlessly due to the friction between the bars and the L-bracket supports. Greasing the bars here would/should reduce the capability. Perhaps Tech Support people are just trying to placate customers rather than trying to inform them.
Mike,

In some cases where there are parallel planes, "friction control" may actually be improved via proper viscosity lubricants. If binding is occuring, friction control has been lost and the effective dampning is reduced thus decreasing true control. The Tech's suggestion may have merrit.

Also, I believe that E-Q has recently made available some type of plastic composite plate that fits on top of the L brackect, under the sliding bar, to act the same as a lubricant with superior control with considerable noise abatement. I was planning on installing them before the next trip.

John
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I have installed them. They are called Bracket Jackets. Takes about 5 seconds to install. They have no effect on sway control. They eliminate about 90% of the noise. They cost $17.95 plus shipping.

The sway control on this hitch comes from the movement, or lack thereof, of the ball hitch mechanism on the TV. Where the bars rest on the L brackets and distribute the weight, they can only slide back and forth. Side to side movement, which is sway, is controlled at the TV hitch mount.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use the Bracket Jackets on our Equil-I-Zer bracket set up...they just slip over the bracket and sit between the bracket and the bars....like a cushion. We've always used them, as they were part of our original install... Easy to use, but they do break over time, so we ordered a set of spares to have on hand (along with a spare set of L-Pins and Cotter Pins just in case)...

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
This came from the Equalizer Hitch site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swaybracket.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	44608  
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote