Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #1721
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
IIf you are using this new system please share your comments here.
Yea, Howie,

Since I am a user of the Andersen hitch, I have shared my comments above, and compared the hitch's performance with other hitches of which I have experience.

In my mind comparing product's performance is what these forums are all about, but you must not think so.

In the remote chance I have other comments to share about the Andersen, and only the Andersen, I will post those comments here.

By the way, are you compensated in any way by Andersen Hitch Co.?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #1722
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Howie:
I don't like thread jackers either, but I thought SteveH's comments were fair and actually helpful to me as a new Andersen adopter. I have the Sport 16, and just got most of the wrinkles ironed out from my installation (including destroying and replacing my umbilical in the process), just to hear about all these issues with the Atwood I apparently have. ANDERSEN HAS NOT IN ANY WAY NOTIFIED ME OF THIS ISSUE OR TO NOT USE IT WITH MY ATWOOD COUPLER!
So as I hesitantly have decided to keep using it, SteveH's comments were comforting to me. I especially thought his statement useful about the weight of the PP being not ideal for a small trailer. My situation exactly. In fact my previous Reese dual cam is cumbersome and heavy. That was the main reason I went with the Andersen.
So, as long as the comments are helpful to an Andersen user, I don't see why he should be censored. (There are others, I agree, who went way too far in their comparisons.)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1723
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The comments may be helpful, but to repeat them to each additional poster is juvenile. You do or do not like your Anderson, let us know, but once is enough. Jim
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #1724
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Apparently some folks that think there were just the right amount of hitches on the market, before the Andersen was introduced. They post this preference over and over until they believe it. The Andersen hitch is not perfect and I am glad that we have this forum to hear of both successes and failures. My experience has been positive so far, but I will report any change in that assessment. I know how to search for information about other brands.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #1725
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
the tank heavy hensely/propride or vertical bar type wd hitches are just too rigid for trailer hitches and causes wear and tear overtime like it did to mine, rear-end separations, interior damage due to severe frame stresses. Folks invested heavily on these overpriced hitches will justify their over expense to the death. Had I had the smooth Andersen from the start the wear an tear would've been much less..Anti-Bounce feature is the genius of the Andersen against all other hitches
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #1726
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
the tank heavy hensely/propride or vertical bar type wd hitches are just too rigid for trailer hitches and causes wear and tear overtime like it did to mine, rear-end separations, interior damage due to severe frame stresses. Folks invested heavily on these overpriced hitches will justify their over expense to the death. Had I had the smooth Andersen from the start the wear an tear would've been much less..Anti-Bounce feature is the genius of the Andersen against all other hitches
Wow! And I was told this thread was only about Andersen hitches....guess not.

By the way, the 70's Airstream 31's are notorious for developing rear end separation because A: They have a week 4" frame, and B: They usually have a rear bath.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #1727
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Weight scale comparisons for Anderson Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Second, who has done weight scale comparisons (full work-up) on this hitch, as against other types? Or even just of itself? The Full Monte of empty adjusted weights (both vehicles), loaded weights, and hitch weights on a certified scale.

Numbers matter.

Also,

There is a long (informative) thread currently at Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD Hitch

Hello All! What a lively discussion you have going on here

I do not have an Airstream however was in the market and purchased another trailer just a month ago however still lurk around. This thread really got my interest and I do have the Anderson WD hitch with my new trailer that is 25' with a GVWR of 6k lbs and is a Lance 2185. I have had two trailers prior to this one the last was similar in size and weight. My tow vehicle is a 2005 LandRover LR3 with an air suspension.

I am pretty picky about my weights and have a scale nearby so visit often. I also have a sherline tongue scale that I frequently use when I shift the configuration. I thought I would add my weigh tickets to the discussion since it helps people see what is happening. I am not debating the merits or issues with putting more pressure on the pawl side of the trailer coupler, time will tell. I can offer that my experience with towing so far has been phenomenal. The initial install was really easy and hitching to the TV takes no time at all. I also like that it does not weigh #100 lbs!

Now below are my weight tickets from this week. The first is my TV with full tank of gas and just the driver (top line front axle, second line rear axle, third line trailer, then combined weight). The second ticket from a couple days later is the same TV setup with a full tank of gas and the weight distribution hitch disconnected. For the last weigh I pulled off the scale and connected the Anderson weight distribution hitch and pulled back on the scales. The tongue weight measured with the scale was #620.

As you can see the hitch does move weight to the front axle as well as to the trailer. I did not weigh each trailer axle independently.

Everyone has their opinion and feelings about their particular setup. This one is working very well for me. Hope to see you in camp!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3651.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	184714  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #1728
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Great

You have once again proven that an the Andersen will work dispute the opinions of the ill informed. Now we have to convince them that a really bee can fly

Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #1729
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Great

You have once again proven that an the Andersen will work dispute the opinions of the ill informed. Now we have to convince them that a really bee can fly
Actually, what he has proven, is what many have been saying all along: the Andersen does not restore 100% of the front axle loading. And of course, some tow vehicle manufacturers specify that 50% is the goal. In that case, he hit it perfectly, and may in fact have found a very nicely matched combo for his particular needs.
Others may want to come closer to 100% restoration of steer axle loads, for whatever reasons. I'd say that overall, there is room in the marketplace for most all of these different brands.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #1730
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
I think this setup just might work for me. I presently have a reese dual cam strait line that I am not happy with. The ford f-150 manual says to return the front to 50%. I will have to replace the coupler. I am considering the atwood 81911. I just need to find a good welder.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #1731
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiglud View Post
Hello All! What a lively discussion you have going on here

I do not have an Airstream however was in the market and purchased another trailer just a month ago however still lurk around. This thread really got my interest and I do have the Anderson WD hitch with my new trailer that is 25' with a GVWR of 6k lbs and is a Lance 2185. I have had two trailers prior to this one the last was similar in size and weight. My tow vehicle is a 2005 LandRover LR3 with an air suspension.

I am pretty picky about my weights and have a scale nearby so visit often. I also have a sherline tongue scale that I frequently use when I shift the configuration. I thought I would add my weigh tickets to the discussion since it helps people see what is happening. I am not debating the merits or issues with putting more pressure on the pawl side of the trailer coupler, time will tell. I can offer that my experience with towing so far has been phenomenal. The initial install was really easy and hitching to the TV takes no time at all. I also like that it does not weigh #100 lbs!

Now below are my weight tickets from this week. The first is my TV with full tank of gas and just the driver (top line front axle, second line rear axle, third line trailer, then combined weight). The second ticket from a couple days later is the same TV setup with a full tank of gas and the weight distribution hitch disconnected. For the last weigh I pulled off the scale and connected the Anderson weight distribution hitch and pulled back on the scales. The tongue weight measured with the scale was #620.

As you can see the hitch does move weight to the front axle as well as to the trailer. I did not weigh each trailer axle independently.

Everyone has their opinion and feelings about their particular setup. This one is working very well for me. Hope to see you in camp!
Thanks for the info, very useful. Your setup moved about 60 lbs to the trailer and about 130 lbs to the front. Do you think you could have moved more weight if you wanted by further tightening the bushings? Would you want to? Did you get this result by following the Andersen "measure the wheel fender" instructions?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #1732
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Yes, I could easily add more wight to the front by giving another turn of the tensioning nut. However, the way the setup is working now I just don't see a need to move more weigh to the front. I have noticed a stiffer ride when adding more tension. I'm sure this would be different if I had 1k lbs on the hitch but I only have about 600lbs and I am very pleased. Next time I go through the scales ill se about doing a second weigh with another turn see how much weight that moves to the front just for the experience points!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #1733
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That set of tickets would be considered a failure to transfer weight by many people. They would like to see (at least) the original weight restored to the front axle. Some would like to see the trailer tongue weight transferred to the tow vehicle evenly distributed on front and rear axles.

That's become yet another controversy. I think the steering would be too light for safety on wet/icy roads if the weight is not restored, and there would be too much weight on the rear axle for some lighter vehicles (such as mine) if more than restoration weight is not transferred to the front.

I had the Andersen and was very happy with the performance on the road. The weight distribution was in question; I never weighed it but set it up according to Andersen instructions, trusting they knew more about this than I do.

When I found out the hitch was not compatible with my trailer coupler (only when a member posted a warning from Andersen included with their new Andersen hitch), I began having serious doubts they had thought this design through enough to put it on the market. The doubts have increased now that Andersen has not issued a recall of this hitch for incompatible couplers, or offered a refund to us who purchased it in trust of them, or advised us of the problem.

I had the Andersen removed because of this. An additional concern came to light. I had drilled the frame to allow the bracket mounting set screw into the frame as insurance it would stay put. This hole had become elongated (oval) on both outer sides of the frame, after 4,000 miles. The concern is that there is not enough compression left in the urethane bushing, after weight distribution is applied, to compensate for roadway undulations and especially entering steep driveway approaches. Additionally, there is the question whether this elongation would become worse, weakening my trailer frame, and whether this inflexibility would bend the trailer A-frame. Note that the elongation was hidden under the bracket.

The best features of the Andersen is its resistance to sway and its ability to dampen bounce on certain roadways. But I don't trust the safety of its design. To suggest the Andersen performs as well as a Hensley/Propride design is simply untrue, it's not even close. The driving experience is completely different. I know because I replaced the Andersen with a Propride, best thing I ever did for towing our Airstream.

doug k
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1734
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Doug, I am happy you are happy with your PP. I replaced my Hensley with an Andersen and am very happy with it's performance.
As long as we are both happy, we can quit beating the horse,
Regards,
Joe
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #1735
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Joe, are you trying to say the Andersen performs as well as the Hensley, or its performance is good enough to make you happy.

I was also happy with my Andersen's performance, but it is not in a league with Hensley/Propride.

doug k
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #1736
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Joe, are you trying to say the Andersen performs as well as the Hensley, or its performance is good enough to make you happy.

I was also happy with my Andersen's performance, but it is not in a league with Hensley/Propride.

doug k
For me, the Andersen performs much better for my requirements. Yours may vary and again, I am happy you are happy.
Joe
Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #1737
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
I know that there are those that don't believe the engineers at GM and Ford who have revised their requirements for front end restoration by half. Do they think it was easy for them to say that their old requirements were wrong? Pickup truck balance and suspensions have not changed much in forty years, but the manufactures opinion sure has. A typical pickup has plenty of weight to lose on the front axle, at least according to the folks that build them. "If" one needs a hitch to unload an overloaded rear axle, that is another story entirely.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #1738
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rendrag,
I sure don't like the feel of a truck with a lightened front axle on a tour of the country, maybe to bring home a trailer full of gravel for the driveway would be okay. It ought to be a hard sell to say the Andersen weight distributing ability is now okay because a truck really doesn't need that much weight distribution anyway.

AirHeadsRus,
It is interesting that you would be happy with the Andersen after using a Hensley/Propride, an incredible response to me after also using both. My earlier post today explained why I gave up on the Andersen, I have lost faith in its safety and the company is ignoring the issues for us that already have it. Could you explain why you gave up on the Hensley, giving specifics.

Please know that I am trying to further this discussion on the Andersen, its potential safety issues as well as its benefits.

doug k
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #1739
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
dkottum,
What kind of tow vehicle do you have?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #1740
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Rendrag,
I sure don't like the feel of a truck with a lightened front axle on a tour of the country, maybe to bring home a trailer full of gravel for the driveway would be okay. It ought to be a hard sell to say the Andersen weight distributing ability is now okay because a truck really doesn't need that much weight distribution anyway.

AirHeadsRus,
My earlier post today explained why I gave up on the Andersen, I have lost faith in its safety and the company is ignoring the issues for us that already have it. Could you explain why you gave up on the Hensley, giving specifics.

Please know that I am trying to further this discussion on the Andersen, its potential safety issues as well as its benefits.

doug k
Doug,
You ran into issues and lost faith. I ran into the same issues with the Andersen and fixed them myself. I did not give up on Hensley. It broke and I chose another hitch that fits my needs better. Less weight, no bounce, no grease, no bars and no Hensley bump in the mountains.
Joe