Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Great thread! Although I've mentioned in the past that I've never experienced a sway problem with my rig, I'm open to making a change. Note that my TV is a 2003, 3500 LB, CC with an alternate set of reduced capacity rear springs. Except for the greater unsprung weight of the dually axle it's virtually equivalent to a 2500. This makes for an extremely stable rig using 1,000 lb capacity bars (non-sway type,) lightly tensioned. My thought, after reading the preceding thread, is that switching to the Reese sway control system with 600 lb bars would probably provide the same ride - but with an intangible sway control benefit - at a cost of about $230.00 for the new bars and hardware. My only concern is the clearance or "binding" problem that has been mentioned with regard to the newer system. It doesn't sound like this issue has been completely resolved???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Angry The BARS HEAVY - HEAVY

I went out today and looked at the bars I now have.
They are NOT 1,000 pounders

They are 1,200 pounders for a class 5 hitch. (that is the recever class I have, 2.5"x2.5")
No wonder they do not bend.

I had not taken the factory film/tape off the bar heads so could not see the numbers before.
I, like others before me, went on the info as supplied by the dealer.
Boy , am I dumb.
Now I will get the lower rated bars soon.

WALT,
I have the new style bars w/ the built in curve. But all they are worth is to "Tow the Peterbuilt" that Andy has been talkin' about.

And I enjoyed the weekend at the "Orygun" Unit Seafood Rally last August. Keep me posted on future events. You never know.
Lots of fun. Cooking Oysters is always great fun when I get to eat that many.........

With the lower rated bars, maybe my O-2 Concentrator & Compressor won't travel around in the AS as bad when I am on the road.
Had them straped down but they left marks in the piece of plywood they ride on.
Glad I did not have them directly on the Prego-look -a-like flooring.
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #123
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4 View Post
I went out today and looked at the bars I now have.
They are NOT 1,000 pounders

They are 1,200 pounders for a class 5 hitch. (that is the recever class I have, 2.5"x2.5")
No wonder they do not bend.

I had not taken the factory film/tape off the bar heads so could not see the numbers before.
I, like others before me, went on the info as supplied by the dealer.
Boy , am I dumb.
Now I will get the lower rated bars soon.

WALT,
I have the new style bars w/ the built in curve. But all they are worth is to "Tow the Peterbuilt" that Andy has been talkin' about.

And I enjoyed the weekend at the "Orygun" Unit Seafood Rally last August. Keep me posted on future events. You never know.
Lots of fun. Cooking Oysters is always great fun when I get to eat that many.........

With the lower rated bars, maybe my O-2 Concentrator & Compressor won't travel around in the AS as bad when I am on the road.
Had them straped down but they left marks in the piece of plywood they ride on.
Glad I did not have them directly on the Prego-look -a-like flooring.
The lower rating bars (550-600) pounds, will contribute to your having a very fine Christmas.

Please report back, after the change, so others can learn about your new, and far better, towing experience.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #124
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Where Can I find the Old Style Bars?

My bars measure 1.250 inches square where the bar enters the head of the trunnion. From what I have decifered this amounts to 1000#. So I need to drop down to 550-600# based on what I've read here since I pull a 29' trailer with a 3/4 ton Suburban.

I have the old style bars with the bolt-on cam follower. Are these still available? If so, from whom? All I see on the Reese web site and etrailer.com is the newer(?) style bars. Or do I even need to worry about this and simply purchase what appears to the be the newer style bars with the formed/forged cam follower?

Comments are appreciated.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #125
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Call tech support directly they are great!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Wink 600 poundes

So far , all I can find are a pair of REESE Trunnion style 600 Lb Weight distribution bars from E-trailer for $149.95 with FREE shipping starting at $150.00.........

Can any one give me a better source? Better price??????
I want the 600 pound trunnion Style Bars for a Reese "Dual cam" weight distribution hitch set.

PLEASE and thank a ton. or in this caese.... 600 pounds...

www.catson4ponds.com
Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #127
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Try Rvwholesalers.com, if they aren't on the site call 'em.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:09 AM   #128
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Thats the best price I've found, for new bars. Don't be suprised if you get Draw-Tite bars, they'll work the same.

Order a hitch ball cover or extra hitch-up locking pins for a few dollars to put you over the minimum for free shipping.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I'd go to my local U HAUL( I have no connection) they carry Reese and DrawTite which are the same.They should be able to at least order them for you. I use the dual cam (old style) with 550 lbs bars (or what ever 1" square is) even with the 1 ton we get a Lincoln smooth ride with no sway. I have deliberately dropped off the roadway(dont try this at home,I have yrs of experience) to test my system I can say "it works".
Best of Luck to ya.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #130
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Old Style / New Style?

I'm still trying to sort all of this out before I commit my hard-earned money to something that may not work.

I have 1.250 inch bars (1000 lbs.) with the old style, bolt-on cam follower. I'd like to purchase the appropriate 550/600 lb bars.

The old style with the bolt-on follower seem to be rated 550 lb and new style with the crimped/formed follower seem to be rated at 600 lb.

First question - Regardless of the rating, will the new style bars work with the old style chain and cam?

Second question - is it true that the old style 1" bars are rated at 450 lb without the cam follower and the same bar rated at 550 lb when the cam follower is used?

I have made a tentative agreement to purchase a seldom used set of the 1" old style bars and simply tranfer my cam followers. The person I am buying from indicated the bars without cam are 450 lb and with cam follower are rated 550 lb.

Lucius
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have to defer to those with greater experience with the different size bars.Like ANDY or LEWSTER or one of the other Vendors. But it sounds like your search is over. I think mine are just bolt on also. Mine are 1" at the base next to the trunion. I think they are 550 lb bars. I run 6 links under tension and we get a great ride even with the 1 ton.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #132
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Old/New Style Bars

Hi Claude,
I've searched and could not find a better price/availablity for those bars. Thanks for the lead.

Hi Lucius,
I have no clue about your second question, but this may help some.
"First question - Regardless of the rating, will the new style bars work with the old style chain and cam?"
It seems the answer is - It Depends.

First consideration -- The current width of the 600 to 800 lb. bars at the wear surface on the inside of the curve is 1.125" (From a call to Reese Customer Support). Some of the drop arms of the dual cams have a narrower wear section width. I just measured mine and they're close to 1.25", so I think I'm OK to use the newer bars. For what it's worth, the number cast into my existing trunion castings is 54946 and my current bars measure 1.375" across the flats at the casting.

Second consideration -- This is the Email chain back and forth regarding my initial Email query to ETrailer:

"In a message dated 11/20/2008 1:24:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, cs@etrailer.com writes:
Walt,
First of all, I owe you an apology, as I gave you some incorrect information earlier. I called Draw-Tite and Reese, and you are in good shape. It sounds like you have the newer style Reese weight distribution head, which is a good thing. A few years back they redesigned the heads on the trunnion bars to be a little bigger, so actually, if you don't have the pin plates you have the correct style for bars 6662. And yes, 6662 will work with your style of sway control.
We currently have these in stock and available for immediate shipment. If you would like to order you may do so either on line or by calling us toll free at 1-800-298-8924.
Thanks,
Andi B.
cs@etrailer.com
-----Original Message-----
Received: 11/20/2008 2:30 PM
To: cs@etrailer.com
Subject: Re: Ask the Experts at etrailer.com Product Question from Walt Weber [802728:...
Hi Andi,
The current weight distribution head is a Reese (No pin plates). And, the dual cam sway control unit is the older fixed length arm that uses squared U clamps to hold it on the trailer frame.
A picture will probably help:
(see below)
Best Regards,
Walt Weber
Spreadsheet Design & Automation Co.
503-625-3688
xlsWalt@aol.com
In a message dated 11/20/2008 11:17:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, feedback@etrailer.com writes:
Walt,
Thank you for your interest in www.etrailer.com.
Do you happen to have the part number of the weight distribution system you currently have? If so, I can cross-reference replacement parts for you.
If not, I need more information about what exactly you have. We currently sell a dual cam sway control unit; is part 26002 similar to what you currently have?
Dual Cam High Performance Sway Control - New Design 26002 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com
Also, is your current weight distribution head a Draw-Tite head? Draw-Tite WD heads have specific spring bar pin plates that will pin the top of the bar in to the head. Does your current weight distribution head have this pin plate?
I look forward to your response.
Thanks,
Andi B.
cs@etrailer.com
-----Original Message-----
Received: 11/20/2008 11:52 AM
To: "Ask the Experts" <feedback@etrailer.com>
Subject: RE: Ask the Experts at etrailer.com Product Question from Walt Weber
The following product question for experts at etrailer.com was sent by Walt Weber(xlsWalt@aol.com) On 11/20/2008 11:52:55 AM OID:
I have the older, Reese, bolt on cam rider type bars and I want to replace the bars. Can these bars with the curved, built-in cam rider be substituted for what I have?
I VId:
/product_askexpert.aspx?Product_Code=6662
Part Number 6662
All Rights Reserved, etrailer.com (R)"

I hope this helps.
Walt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDparts.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	920.6 KB
ID:	71601  
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #133
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Lots of Information - Thanks

Thanks Driver1 for the information and thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread. The information has been helpful and I'll know next week when I install the new(used) bars if they help.

I am not entirely happy with the 1000 lb set up so I'm optimistic the 550 lb will do the trick. The lighter rating seems counter-intuitive but I'm willing to give it a try. Andy's explanations and others on this thread certainly make me think this is the right thing to do.

I'll keep you posted.

Lucius
Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Thumbs up new bars are ordered

I called e-Trailer today and ordered the Reese # 6662 Trunion head style bars. They are rated at 600 pounds. The lady at E-trailer said there has been a "run" on these bars lately and they will get their next batch in right after Thanksgiving and should be able to ship to me by 12/1/08.
So I should have them by 12/7 or so.

www.catson4ponds.com
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #135

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Results when you get 'em plaese

Claude,

If you're trailing for that Christmas trip down this way, please post back regarding how the new bars work. I don’t plan un-winterizing until possibly February at CannonBeach, so I can wait some while for results.

If you're anywhere near Sherwood on your way to Wheeler, please call & stop in.

Walt
Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #136
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm going to have to post pictures to fully explain this. I had a local RV service center take a look at the old Reese dual cam hitch. They said it was fine and installed it with new u-bolts. I'm not really happy about the install. The place did not use the spacer plates. As such, the u-bolts are about 1/2" wider than roughly 2" hitch frame. I'd feel a little better if the bolts were snug. The bars (which I need to measure) are also heavy and show pretty much no deflection when the hitch is under tension. Maybe I misunderstood, but I though the bars were supposed to show some flex. As noted, I think it's hard to talk about this without photos... so I'll try to take some tomorrow before we leave.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
The place did not use the spacer plates. As such, the u-bolts are about 1/2" wider than roughly 2" hitch frame. I'd feel a little better if the bolts were snug. The bars (which I need to measure) are also heavy and show pretty much no deflection when the hitch is under tension. Maybe I misunderstood, but I though the bars were supposed to show some flex. As noted, I think it's hard to talk about this without photos... so I'll try to take some tomorrow before we leave.
The U bolts are to be torqued to 75 lbs. If they are properly torqued there should not be a need for a spacer.

The deflection in a set of bars is effected by the weight being transferred to the TV and the rating of the bars. If you have a light trailer and heavy bars and thus not transferring much weight you will not see much deflection in the bars. The important thing when setting up a Reese hitch is to be sure some weight has been moved to the front axle of the TV. This can be checked by measuring the fender height of both front and rear axle fender wells before and after hitching.

Generally I like to have the front drop about 2/3 of the drop in the rear. However factors that effect this include, spring rate of the TV, wheel base of the TV.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #138
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
this may help

So if you measure the front & rear wheel well heights before you hitch,

then after you can easily tell what's going on.

Howie we need a hitch class at topsail

Old 12-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Thumbs down Winter tow NOT

As I stated in a post above, I was going to Hillsboro, Oregon for Christmas. And I did do that there fun time stuff.
However, I was planning on taking my AS with me. DID NOT HAPPEN.
Too much damnnnnnn snow.

I do have the new bars and will get some facts posted when this snow gets melted away and the weather warms up a bit. At least above 40* F.
Or it at least gives me a dry (in Washington?) day.

Now I am looking at the middle of January getting on down to eugene and a gathering of my inlaws. (some outlaws too prob.)

will let you know if that works out.

www.catson4ponds.com
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #140

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
New 600# bars arrived

Hi Claude,

Too bad we couldn't connect over the holidays. The weather was pretty bad.

Late Friday of last week, I ordered 2 Reese 600# spring bars from Etrailer.com for $159.90 total, including ground UPS shipping (No sales tax - this is Oregon). They arrived today and look good. After my new Lifeline GPL27T batteries arrive from Powerstridebattery.com (Ordered late Monday this week) and shortly after the Jazz at the Beach Rally at Cannon Beach (Feb. 20 > Feb 22), I'll have everything together, de-winterized, then re-winterized and have done some testing. Then I'll post back here with my impressions at least, and maybe some firm results (I don't think I want the hazardous situation that could give me firm results).

Hope you've dug out & had a chance to do some testing.

Be Well,
Walt