Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Ernul , United States
Looking for advice on sway control

Hi all,

Working on the last small project before my trailer goes for a fresh new paint job. Been 2+ years of part time restoration... I've learned alot

I have a Silverado 1500 that I am towing with a regular ball hitch. Sway bars came with the trailer, but I've yet to use them. I can't wrap my head around exactly what I need here. I'd like to use the bars I have and it seems like I just need a new, specific ball hitch. Can anyone kindly advise me on what I might need here?

I want to be really careful with this trailer going forward since I've invested a lot of time, $ and effort into it, and I just want to be as safe as possible while traveling.

Name:   IMG_0632.JPG
Views: 884
Size:  50.0 KB
yousty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:47 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
A 50 buck Curt is what I put on my Airstream.....you need a new hitch head on your truck to hook a sway bar and your WD bars....a whole new hitch might be cheaper and easier.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Get the cheapest eazlift brand with one sway control. You already have the mount on your trailer tongue, you just need the hitch head which comes with the eazlift. I think the big dealer in Canada uses the eazlift.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
You'll need something like this. A complete new set is not all that expensive.

https://jet.com/product/CURT-17062-R...419f9deed38655
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
A good trailer shop can supply you with a Reese hitch that will match the spring bars it appears you have. Mine was custom welded for me by a local shop using parts I had inherited with my vintage A/S. By the way the bars in you pic are not sway bars, they appear to be weight distribution bars or spring bars.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Ernul , United States
Many thanks all for the replies. I need to spend more time learning the difference between sway and WD bars, as I thought these bars did both.

A complete new kit like PaulnGina suggested would probably be best, but I've been taking a bit of pride in this project, using everything original I can. The bars and mounts are in great shape, so I am going to try and find a hitch that is made for these.

The Curt website seems like it's going to have what I want, I just have to see what I need
yousty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just so you know, the bars in your photo are not sway bars, they are weight distribution bars. No sway control, only weight distribution.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The problem with "original" as re WDH is that one never knows the stresses to which they've previously been subject.

Could have been rand new off the shelf last week and misuse in the past three days has rendered it no longer quite serviceable.

Keep this in mind.

I understand the appeal of making old "new" again.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The hitch setup is one of the most important safety aspects of rving. Please spend the money and time to get a safe setup done correctly by an experienced rv tech. Any hitch set up correctly is safer than a top dollar one set up dangerously and incorrectly. Safety trumps cosmetics every time. As we used to tell the Harley riders, chrome don't get you home!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The rating of the spring bars is important as well. You will need to bars for the specific tongue weight of the coach. I would guess that 750# bars would be what you need for the Argosy 24.
Too heavy a rating could cause damage to your coach as well as create handling problems with the rig by taking too much weight off of the rear axle of the TV.
I don't see any hardware on the tongue for anti sway.
I don't believe the Argosy tongue weight will exceed the 750# bar rating. I know my Argosy 26 does not.
Do your research. Many of the manufactures have info on how to specify the bars.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousty7 View Post
Hi all,

Working on the last small project before my trailer goes for a fresh new paint job. Been 2+ years of part time restoration... I've learned alot

I have a Silverado 1500 that I am towing with a regular ball hitch. Sway bars came with the trailer, but I've yet to use them. I can't wrap my head around exactly what I need here. I'd like to use the bars I have and it seems like I just need a new, specific ball hitch. Can anyone kindly advise me on what I might need here?

I want to be really careful with this trailer going forward since I've invested a lot of time, $ and effort into it, and I just want to be as safe as possible while traveling.

Attachment 262664
If you still want to use that set up, I may have the other parts for that. Mine looks just like that, Reese. If you are local I can give them to you...The only thing I do not have is the u bolts as I could not get them off with out cutting.
If you or anyone else can use it, let me know. The metal scrap guy stops by once a month.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote