Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Question How does Reese WD w/sway control compare to Hensely/PP/Equalizer?

My local Airstream dealer sales and sets up Reese WD hitches with sway control. About $750 for equipment and $95 fee to set it up. While I can imagine opinions vary drastically, and there is a huge amount of subjectivity to consider, in broad terms how does Reese compare to others?

Hypothetical application would be Navigator towing 27' FC or Dodge 2500 Mega Cab pulling 30' FC. Main intended usage would be weekend trips to Smoky Mountains of NC/Tenn. For us, that's 3-4 hours of interstate and 1-2 hours of twisty and often steep grades in mountains.

Thanks for any input.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How does Reese WD w/sway control compare to Hensely/PP/Equalizer?

PP isn't hard to DIY. See that thread. And it's easier to change TV vs HA. More adjustability as well.

There is no comparison to the obsolete hitch designs (even where some of them are new).

It isn't a continuum of decreasing performance versus money spent. Not gradual, but radical. Sway elimination versus resistance to sway.

Best hitch set (on a scale) is always necessary.

There are those with better handling AS trailers and TVs than mine. But whom I could run circles around. The hitch really matters.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Not even a comparison. You can buy a reconditioned Hensley for about $1700.00 I believe. You are one step ahead of others. Others invest several hundred, then buy a Hensley. You are saving the initial investment in education.
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I had a ProPride. It worked great. No sway, not ever. But, if you like camping in small sites it can be a challenge to back up and another challenge to hook up.

I now use an ancient Reese Dual Cam with an old fashion friction bar for good luck. It works great. No sway, not ever. And it's real easy to back up into the small crooked sites. And its real easy to hook up again.

Nothing wrong with the old stuff.
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Just to quantify John's statement. The PP and Hensley will out back and out maneuver any other hitch. The mechanics of it actually improve turning and backing.
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Never heard that argument for them before, actually just the opposite.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Propride and Hensley are basically the same hitch geometry. They back differently, because they follow the center of the back axle of the truck. You can use either PP or H to back into the same site as a tow ball pivoting hitch. It is only a matter of learning a new skill. Most loss of control trailer accidents are due to driver over correction errors that anything the hitch does. A experienced and skilled tower can tow and park safely with either type of hitch. Too much speed down hill is the prime cause of trailer accidents, closely followed by passing, dropping one wheel into a soft shoulder, sudden wind gusts, slippery roads, or following too close to a vehicle which make abrupt moves.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Reese makes a few different applications, dual cam etc. I hated my previous round bar, with dual friction sway control, not because it did a bad job just difficult it was a pain connecting both friction controls. I now use an Equalizer on my AS & it's a breeze to deal with, does a great job & makes life less complicated regarding Airstreaming.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
We use the dual cam, and love it.
ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Dual cam w/o additional frictionfor last 6 years, never any sway....28 FC & F250s...about 180k miles
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Reese Strait line WD with trunnion style bars and dual cam hp, never have had any sway, pulls straight and is easy to setup and use. Easier than the equalizer which is of less quality.

Thousands of miles and over a year of use. And only one issue to date which was my fault.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Never enjoyed interstate travel until we installed the ProPride (Hensley design).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Too much speed down hill is the prime cause of trailer accidents, closely followed by passing, dropping one wheel into a soft shoulder, sudden wind gusts, slippery roads, or following too close to a vehicle which make abrupt moves.

I really appreciate you taking the time to type that. What warnings would an otherwise properly chosen and selected tow vehicle with WD hitch feel prior to losing control? Too much speed downhill. Is there any tactile feedback prior to becoming a CNN footnote?

Very eager to hear more about this if any of you have any personal experience.

I see all the videos here of crashed campers. An Excursion flipped a few days ago here in NC hauling a 32' white box down I-95. In Nash County if anyone Googles it. Flipped an Excursion on straight section of Interstate??

I always wonder what caused towing accidents, and what, if any, feedback the driver might have had just prior. Always wonder what I would do. Which is largely dependent on feeling anything prior to going sideways or upside down and ditch bound.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Hensley and PP crowd,

What makes it better than Reese or Equalizer? Specifically. What's the real world benefit.

Reese crowd,

What role does the dual cam play? I've never seen a WD hitch in person. Laymans terms appreciated.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Dan
For every person pulling a trailer there is a different opinion on the best type of hitch. Personally I use a ProPride and would not consider anything else. Does that make the others bad? I don't think so. It just makes me VERY happy with the PP

Over time I have seen many folks buy different types of hitches... I have also seen many of them upgrade after using a brand X equalizer for a while. That said I don't know of anyone who went the other way. This of course in not to say it's NEVER happened I just don't know anyone who did.
Not sure that this helps in anyway. It's just my .02

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Of course it helps. Thanks.

What is basic cost of the mentioned options?

Where do you buy them?

Easy to set up yourself? Who sets them up if not?

How do you know it's set up properly?

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No end of threads. See hitch specific ones.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hooking up with the HA is a snap if you use a backup camera. I am able to hit the mark in only 1 or two attempts. I also have a horizontal tongue jack adapter that allows me to move the tongue left or right 3-4 inches and the jack allows for the vertical adjustment. By the way, my wife would be dead by now if I hadn't bought the backup camera when I bought the HA.

The second best feature of the HA after eliminating the sway is the ability to have the trailer tires track the TV tires. This is absolutely a great advantage when being caught in city traffic. The trailer doesn't cut the corners and run over the curbs.

But to be honest any hitch will work fine if the driver is responsible, experienced, cautious, considerate and lucky. The fancy hitches only helps the novice stay out of trouble. The fancier the hitch the more trouble that is avoided.

Happy trails
GRA
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Didn't know the trailer tires tracked with the TV tires. If true that might change my opinion slightly to the pp.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote