Old 04-23-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Shampoo and other thoughts....

Druupy -

Yeah, it does sound like posting to ASF's - "post", "edit", "adjust", "accept polite reply's" or 'flame's', "define" and/or "justify", repeat, repeat, repeat!!! Kinda like you said.... Life in the 'big bad world' is sometimes like life in the bath....

Bryan, Mark, Steve etal -

As all of you pointed out. Hitching is a personal endeavor. "Personal" as in 'your personal safety', your 'personal possesions' and your 'personal preference' as far as $'s, sense of confidence and your 'personal feel' of the TV and TT. It's all about your $ and where you want to spend them.

Nothing more to add to the above.

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Slidell , Louisiana
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
So with cost aside for a moment, I believe the tow vehicle and what is behind it (size of the Airstream) plays a bigger factor in the real equation and my question: What hitch is right for me?....
As mentioned many will have good service from a variety of hitches that are not all based on price.

After a few minor incidents with trailer sway that could have been really bad I went with the Hensley hitch. This is the best value for me with all considered.

Safety as you mentioned was the deciding factor and although many hitches will offer you good service and many with no safety concern, I did not want to take a chance with the safety of my family and the risk to others on the road.

This was also a factor for me deciding to get a diesel tow vehicle with a larger tow rating and better brakes.

1978 Excella 500 Rear Twin Center Bath
2006 F250 Powerstroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
Tow Command Factory Brake Controller
MarkExc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
TV: PSD Excursion. It pulls a 28' SO. Probably the same weight as your 30'. .... and the hitch: Equ-i-lizer. We've probably got 15 thou miles on that combo. Fast, and slow. Rain and snow. Windy and calm.

Would I go for that combo again? In a heartbeat.

I hope your decision makes you as happy as mine did me.

28' Safari SO
Excursion 6.0 4x
Soarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Thank you

Wanted to say thank you for all of your input. It feels good to know that you can get so much help for this loyal community. I'll keep you posted on our purchase. B
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Originally Posted by Pick
Probably anything you stuck in the hitch receiver would work just fine. I have a plain old Reese WD hitch, and use the old bars that came with the trailer, along with a friction sway control. Tows like a dream.
My setup is the same as Pick's - the only exception being that, with the dually, I don't have a sway bar and I've never experienced sway. My hitch weight is just under 1,000 lbs, loaded for bear, and I pre-load the 1,000 lb bars very lightly! I would prefer the smoother ride of the GMC 2500 - and, that said, I'm still threatening to swap out my springs and keep the duals. On the other hand, the stiff rear end is really nice on the interstates and the AS doesn't appear to be suffering rivet damage anywhere!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Possible sidetrack here...

I wanna have a....

2500 HD "Dually" Duramax/ Allison 'Suburban'. In my dreams....

Guess I could construct one.... but prefer that factory warrenty... No such animal - not anything close in fact.

I can dream....

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote