Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Hitch for a '96 F250

Does anybody have any recommendations as to what kind of a hitch I should get for a 96 Ford F250 that will be pulling a 31 ft 1970 Sovereign?

I'm new to towing and would like something that includes some kind of weight distribution and stabilization if at all possible. I've tried searching but haven't turned up anything very definitive so I thought I'd check around these parts and see what you all think.

Thanks!
unenthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
You won't get a consensus here.

Fundamentally, there are two types of weight distributing, anti-sway hitches. The Hensley and the ProPride are VPP hitches that, by design, eliminate the possibility of sway, according to their manufacturers and a great many users. They are heavy, however and very expensive (at least to me).

Then there are systems made by Reese, Anderson (a product people love or hate, not much opinion in between) and Blue Ox. I use a simple Reese straight line hitch with friction bars and it works for me on my 1986 31' Sovereign.

The Blue Ox seems to have a lot of happy, satisfied users and costs about a third what the Hensley and Pro Pride cost. If I was buying today, that is how I would probably go.

Shortly, someone will post their favorite, condemning all others and that will likely continue for awhile until you have heard from fans of all the major brands. Then you will hear from the 3/4 ton diesel or larger crowd for awhile, with a few posts from people towing with other, smaller vehicles, all of whom are convinced that their choice is the ONLY core t one.

So, basically, Google up the major brands mentioned. Maybe even visit the nearest campground and ask folks with similar sized trailers what they use and how they like it. Then you pays your money and takes your chances...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
I appreciate the insight. At least gives a total newbie like me a place to start.
unenthused is offline   Reply With Quote