Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I've seen them even lower. The point might be made that price needn't be an obstacle as the difference is two entirely different classes of hitch design.

Price IS an obstacle for many, including myself. If you got it, you got it (money). Get a ProPride. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it (I ain't got no money). You get what you can afford.
I would live to have a four wheel drive truck, too, but that ain't gonna happen, either. The two wheel drive truck I have is paid for and has 44,000 miles and new tires. I can't imagine a $600 a month truck payment.
__________________

__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,091
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Offering and recommending adding one -- even two -- additional friction controls for better performance are two different things. I was just told they have never sold the bar or even had a request for one. They do have 10 in stock if anyone is interested. After nearly 3000 miles on my Blue Ox I have not seen a need for additional sway control. Does anyone with actual experience with the current Blue Ox Sway Pro have a comment on this?
Seems some folks on this thread don't like Blue Ox it seems; not sure why? We are on our 2nd BO and have towed both 25' AS's over 16K miles, without any issues...we also had a Reese on our first 06' ,25' AS, pulling with a Tahoe; no problems, but it made a lot of noise when backing up. We had a "used" Hensley on our second 08', 25' AS, (again with Tahoe), which broke soon after we got it. The dealer only had Blue Ox in stock, so we went with it. For 2 years, 10K miles, no issues, but moved away from Tahoe and got the F-150 Echoboost. When we got our new 25' this past year, we got the newer model Blue Ox and have 6K on it so far; no issues. From my perspective, BO works great for us; easy to set up, very safe, offers both sway and equalizer weight distribution benefits, and was not overly expensive; you can get them on Amazon or locally at many dealers.
I don't work for Amazon but here is the site I found it on for around $550~:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BXW100...ue+ox+sway+pro
__________________

__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
I have nothing against Blue Ox, only recommending ProPride or Hensley based on our experience. It is the only sway elimination hitch, all others react to sway by dampening it. If I understood the remarkable difference in overall performance before I bought two other hitches, then a ProPride, I could have saved some money.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
 
SSquared's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 497
Experience with a 2010 Yukon Denali

Hi Angustami,

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali (short wheelbase) towing a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud.

My Yukon can display the tranny temp on the DIC display. It has the built-in trailer brake controller; look on your dash left of and below the steering wheel for a pair of levers you can squeeze and plus and minus buttons. And it does have an external tranny cooler. I think these items are all standard on the Denali.

It's very important to have some brand of weight distributing hitch with a Yukon and a 25 foot Airstream. My trailer had no options from the factory. The Airstream web site listed the empty tongue weight as about 840 pounds. The first camping trip out, we weighed at a truck scale and found the tongue weight was 900 pounds. With our trailer connected but the weight distribution bars removed, the load on the rear axle was 4420 pounds, which exceed the Yukon rear axle rating by 220 pounds. With weight distribution connected, the rear axle weight changed to 3880.

I started out with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. We were getting a little sway with the combination, and I talked with the Blue Ox factory guys about it, but did not get a solution. They did not say anything about adding on a friction sway bar (there did not seem to be any place to attach one to the hitch I had). I sold the Sway Pro and had an EAZ Lift round bar hitch with two friction bars installed.

I also had a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to the Yukon receiver (underneath, near the spare tire) to reduce the flex that occurs when weight is loaded on the receiver. When you hook up, you might watch to see how much your receiver rotates when you drop the trailer on, and when you tighten the weight distribution.

By the way, we have added some upgrades to our trailer and found more "stuff" we want to take along, so my trailer tongue weight was 990 pounds last time it was measured, and I'm up to within 160 pounds of the Yukon's GVWR.

Good luck with your decisions!
__________________
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Hi Angustami,

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali (short wheelbase) towing a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud.

My Yukon can display the tranny temp on the DIC display. It has the built-in trailer brake controller; look on your dash left of and below the steering wheel for a pair of levers you can squeeze and plus and minus buttons. And it does have an external tranny cooler. I think these items are all standard on the Denali.

It's very important to have some brand of weight distributing hitch with a Yukon and a 25 foot Airstream. My trailer had no options from the factory. The Airstream web site listed the empty tongue weight as about 840 pounds. The first camping trip out, we weighed at a truck scale and found the tongue weight was 900 pounds. With our trailer connected but the weight distribution bars removed, the load on the rear axle was 4420 pounds, which exceed the Yukon rear axle rating by 220 pounds. With weight distribution connected, the rear axle weight changed to 3880.

I started out with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. We were getting a little sway with the combination, and I talked with the Blue Ox factory guys about it, but did not get a solution. They did not say anything about adding on a friction sway bar (there did not seem to be any place to attach one to the hitch I had). I sold the Sway Pro and had an EAZ Lift round bar hitch with two friction bars installed.

I also had a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to the Yukon receiver (underneath, near the spare tire) to reduce the flex that occurs when weight is loaded on the receiver. When you hook up, you might watch to see how much your receiver rotates when you drop the trailer on, and when you tighten the weight distribution.

By the way, we have added some upgrades to our trailer and found more "stuff" we want to take along, so my trailer tongue weight was 990 pounds last time it was measured, and I'm up to within 160 pounds of the Yukon's GVWR.

Good luck with your decisions!
Interesting experience with the sway. Not sure; do you have an automatic sway control built into your Denali? I know I was told by Blue Ox to disable on my F-150 each time I start engine. I don't know if I had it on my Tahoe's. Was told the automatic sway control can work against the hitch? Not sure if it would be factor? I know I did not have any issues pulling with the Tahoe except for Tahoe had no power up hills. That's why I got the F150 Echoboost.
__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member
 
SSquared's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 497
My Yukon does not have electronic sway control. I don't think it was available in 2010.
__________________
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
beaufort , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Interesting experience with the sway. Not sure; do you have an automatic sway control built into your Denali? I know I was told by Blue Ox to disable on my F-150 each time I start engine. I don't know if I had it on my Tahoe's. Was told the automatic sway control can work against the hitch? Not sure if it would be factor? I know I did not have any issues pulling with the Tahoe except for Tahoe had no power up hills. That's why I got the F150 Echoboost.
I don't believe so...
__________________
angustami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #36
1987 Avion 34W owner
 
PaulnGina's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I also had a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to the Yukon receiver (underneath, near the spare tire) to reduce the flex that occurs when weight is loaded on the receiver. When you hook up, you might watch to see how much your receiver rotates when you drop the trailer on, and when you tighten the weight distribution.
I think THIS is the smartest suggestion I've read in this entire thread. (Ranks up there with a tranny temp gauge) Strengthen or replace the receiver regardless of what you decide to slide in to it.
__________________
"Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth"
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #37
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,585
Images: 1
AndrewT's got a pic of how they reinforce a truck hitch receiver where the spare tire is still easily accessible.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #38
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,585
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Price IS an obstacle for many, including myself. If you got it, you got it (money). Get a ProPride. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it (I ain't got no money). You get what you can afford.
I would live to have a four wheel drive truck, too, but that ain't gonna happen, either. The two wheel drive truck I have is paid for and has 44,000 miles and new tires. I can't imagine a $600 a month truck payment.

The VPP hitches can be found used all the time for less than half the price of new. It's a false argument of economy given the value of the two vehicles and the grave importance of lashup.

A BO looks good to me for the price but not if I can find the better one for not a lot more. WD is not as critical if one ranges from 50-100% FALR given TV instructions as antisway is not dependent on WD, though rig handling is for most combos.

A
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #39
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,585
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
You are of course as usual entitled to your uninformed opinion.

We can follow you and your rig and video the constant out of alignment movement of the TT. It will be slight but constant. With a VPP hitch that doesn't exist. It is most noticeable in lane changes.

The BO looks good in design for simplicity, but friction controls would tighten it up. That you may not feel you need it is another question altogether.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 995
Images: 1
I believe there should be a federal law making the use of PPP type hitches mandatory and anyone arguing for use of any other type of hitch should be persecuted to the fullest.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I believe there should be a federal law making the use of PPP type hitches mandatory and anyone arguing for use of any other type of hitch should be persecuted to the fullest.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Even as a PP user - I'm hoping that's a joke, right? :-)
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 995
Images: 1
yes


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Safe Air Hitch and WD hitch combo Uptightto Hitches, Couplers & Balls 18 12-22-2014 04:38 PM
Top Rated Sway Control Hitch (Hensley Hitch) Dgresham Airstream Classifieds 0 08-27-2014 11:20 AM
Reese hitch or Equalizer hitch? mouth012006 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 03-04-2010 08:31 PM
An exquisitely bad idea, AKA the hitch of death or the sway-enhanced hitch Jammer Hitches, Couplers & Balls 8 01-20-2010 05:40 PM
Bambi Hitch Height - Equalizer Hitch Shank campadk Hitches, Couplers & Balls 3 08-31-2006 12:48 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.