Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Thanks for all the input. We still have not decided what to do -Still working on it. Keep your comments coming.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #30
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Tri View Post
I agree. I only hook to my Hensley by myself. It usually takes me less than 5 minutes in everyplace I have camped so far. Pull with what you feel comfortable with.....peace of mind is worth a lot. I have pulled my 34 footer with my dually without the Hensley and it will sway behind the truck. The truck is heavy enough to dampen the sway, but with the Hensley, my trailer DON'T sway....period!! I am sure the Pro Ride system is good too.
Ok so I was wrong but other I have talked to on the forums are having trouble hitching up even with two people. obviously there is something for them to learn.

Give your rig to me and I will make it sway. I just need to find a cop who is not paying attention. The we get to the rapid interior re-decoration followed by massive sway.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post

Give your rig to me and I will make it sway. I just need to find a cop who is not paying attention. The we get to the rapid interior re-decoration followed by massive sway.
Do you need an ID Ten Tee cop that got his driver's license out of a box of Crackerjacks, or will any not-paying attention cop do?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

I hope this thread is not read by the many people I've bragged to through the years about Airstream being the best towing trailer on the planet.

The torsion bar axles, the low profile, the rounded corners, the balance, the aircraft-proven monoque construction...why, you can practically tow these things through a tornado with a bicycle.

Now I read some of us need a premium hitch, even with a one-tonner, to get good towing with an Airstream.

My bragging days are over. Someone may read this. My credibility and self confidence are gone.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Now, can anyone help with the dif from a hensley and their cub model for lighter trailers? No one followed through with this. jim
Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #34
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Do you need an ID Ten Tee cop that got his driver's license out of a box of Crackerjacks, or will any not-paying attention cop do?
Any old cop will do.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #35
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Now, can anyone help with the dif from a hensley and their cub model for lighter trailers? No one followed through with this. jim

Cub differences from old orange...

1. hollow hitch bar.
2. cut off some of the orange steel from the main head.
3. lighter rated spring bars.

Eventually someone will figure out they can buy the Cub, an old orange solid hitch bar, and heavier spring bars to make the Cub into an orange at $800 less than they sell the orange for.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Some of the folks on this thread are very satisfied with the their hitches and the fact that their Airstreams to "good" With the hitches the presently have. After spending a lot of time the last several weeks on such sites as RVNet, TundraSolutions, RVTalk, DieselForum, AirstreamForum, etc., I have concluded that towing experiences are like everything else depending on the trailer and the hitch. They can be divided into good, better, and best. Maybe it is simply a matter of indulgence but, if you are going to spend the money to purchase an Airstream (certainly not the cheapest or most practical trailer on the planet on a cost basis) or purchase a fairly expensive TV to tow it with, why not complete the experience with the best hitch on the planet? Come on, indulge yourself! Some people put out the cost of a Hensley or ProPride for a good bottle of red wine. Life has its priorties and we each get to choose our own. Just my opinion. jc
Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Sempi2,
I currently own a used Hensley that I rebuilt (purchased an ebay special) and use it on a 22' trailer. A Hensley or Propride will be great with a shorter trailer or any trailer for that matter.
I have had dealing with both companies and they were both great to deal with. (parts from HA and adjustable hitch bar from PP).
From what you said it sounds like the HA Cub will do the job with a few extra items thrown in for the same price as the Pro pride. I would ask this question: Do you ever anticipate getting a larger trailer? If so, then I would opt for the Propride and you can potentially swap it to the next trailer.
I think one of the best selling points of the Propride is the adjustable hitch bar. It is a little heavier than a standard HA hitch bar but worth it if you ever change tow vehicles or trailers.
Steve
Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
I just completed a 6,000 mi. round trip from Texas to Wa. State through severe crosswinds, and up and down 7% grades in slushy conditions! I had no problems at all, and I pull my 27ft CCD with a standard load levelling hitch with no sway control. My Dealer recommended to me that I pull the trailer with this setup before investing in anything like a Hensley. At this point, I will save my money for other things!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
I am into my 2nd season with the Propride. We are very happy with it and would buy again. No problems.

Jim
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
I have seen a good deal of discussion about the Hensley being difficult to hookup. To some extent I agree. I had alittle problem until I purchased a mirrior, from Camping World, that clips on the tail gate of my truck. I look in the rear view mirror and can watch both ends come together. When I get close I adjust the height of the trailer side. Normally it takes less than two minutes to hitch up.
I call the mirror a "marriage saver". When I prepare to hitch up I ask the wife to go inside and check everything for road travel.

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Well, Susan and I completed our "overkill" today as we purchased a used Hensley Arrow in excellent condition on Craig's List. The only problem is that It came with a 2" drop on the hitch bar and I am not certain that fits our situation. The tow vehicle has a measurement of 18 7/8" to the top of the receiver box. The Airstream measures 18" to the inside top of the coupler ball hitch. I think I need about a 6" drop in the hitch bar, for the two to connect and keep the trailer level. Does anyone have a better idea of how the match-up should work. Would appreciate all input. Will Hensley swap out a hitch bar, even though we did not purchase a new Arrow from them? Ours is in great shape. jc
Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #42
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Well, Susan and I completed our "overkill" today as we purchased a used Hensley Arrow in excellent condition on Craig's List. The only problem is that It came with a 2" drop on the hitch bar and I am not certain that fits our situation. The tow vehicle has a measurement of 18 7/8" to the top of the receiver box. The Airstream measures 18" to the inside top of the coupler ball hitch. I think I need about a 6" drop in the hitch bar, for the two to connect and keep the trailer level. Does anyone have a better idea of how the match-up should work. Would appreciate all input. Will Hensley swap out a hitch bar, even though we did not purchase a new Arrow from them? Ours is in great shape. jc

The orange company won't swap your bar. You're in between needing a 4" or a 6". I'd recommend the 4" rather than the 6".

They will also offer you a lifetime warranty and then you will be able to swap bars. Considering what I know about their business, and the considerable competitive pressure they are under, that may not be a wise investment.

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote