Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Well, Susan and I completed our "overkill" today as we purchased a used Hensley Arrow in excellent condition on Craig's List. The only problem is that It came with a 2" drop on the hitch bar and I am not certain that fits our situation. The tow vehicle has a measurement of 18 7/8" to the top of the receiver box. The Airstream measures 18" to the inside top of the coupler ball hitch. I think I need about a 6" drop in the hitch bar, for the two to connect and keep the trailer level. Does anyone have a better idea of how the match-up should work. Would appreciate all input. Will Hensley swap out a hitch bar, even though we did not purchase a new Arrow from them? Ours is in great shape. jc
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #42
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Well, Susan and I completed our "overkill" today as we purchased a used Hensley Arrow in excellent condition on Craig's List. The only problem is that It came with a 2" drop on the hitch bar and I am not certain that fits our situation. The tow vehicle has a measurement of 18 7/8" to the top of the receiver box. The Airstream measures 18" to the inside top of the coupler ball hitch. I think I need about a 6" drop in the hitch bar, for the two to connect and keep the trailer level. Does anyone have a better idea of how the match-up should work. Would appreciate all input. Will Hensley swap out a hitch bar, even though we did not purchase a new Arrow from them? Ours is in great shape. jc

The orange company won't swap your bar. You're in between needing a 4" or a 6". I'd recommend the 4" rather than the 6".

They will also offer you a lifetime warranty and then you will be able to swap bars. Considering what I know about their business, and the considerable competitive pressure they are under, that may not be a wise investment.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Hensleys are difficult yo hook up unless you have two people. I cannot speak for the ProPride. Same Type of set up? Same type of difficulty.
A Hensley seems over kill for a 22 ft Safari. Lots of people are happy with Equalizer and Reese Hitches.
I hook up my Hensley easliy by myself using a back up camera. There are a couple of "tricks" I've learned through trial and error that make completing the process pretty simple.
I previously had the Reese and I really thought my friends who bought Hensleys were exaggerating about the difference between the two. They were not! The difference is amazing! I do have a big trailer so I agree that for a smaller rig it would not be as important. Although I did run into a friend recently who had purchased a Hensley because he planned on buying a larger trailer. He commented what a difference it made just towing his 25' older, lighter weight Sovereign which he just traded at Out of Doors Mart for a newer larger model.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
The orange company .... Considering what I know about their business, and the considerable competitive pressure they are under, that may not be a wise investment....

now, now, now lets not get tacky
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just my comments on the subject

I've been towing travel tailers of one type or another for almost 40 years with several different types of weight distribution hitches with differnet types of sway control.

For some reason or another, I had trouble from day one with my current trailer ('01 25' Excella with Reese Dual Cam) with sway and "wiggle" that always gave me an uncomfortable towing experience. So, I started researching the options which were the Hensley and the ProPride.

After seeing the improvements and features of the ProPride, I selected it and bought one.

I am totally satisfied, I have no more sway, no "wiggle", and no uncomfortable feeling. It's really an improvement you have to experience.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebee View Post
I have seen a good deal of discussion about the Hensley being difficult to hookup. To some extent I agree. I had alittle problem until I purchased a mirrior, from Camping World, that clips on the tail gate of my truck. I look in the rear view mirror and can watch both ends come together. When I get close I adjust the height of the trailer side. Normally it takes less than two minutes to hitch up.
I call the mirror a "marriage saver". When I prepare to hitch up I ask the wife to go inside and check everything for road travel.

dale

The hitching difficulty was addressed in the ProPride design. The internal hitch box and the hitch bar wedges have a greater angle and the welds are finished.

There are many people on the forum that have had the Arrow and now the 3P and it is the most commented on improvement.

Just as a comparison... when I was the vice president of the company I had a guy that answered hitching and unhitching questions every single day. He spent a couple hours a day doing it.

Now, with close to 1700 hitches on the road, I have had 2 hitching calls in our first 23 months of shipping hitches.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Considering what I know about their business, and the considerable competitive pressure they are under, that may not be a wise investment.
Hensley has great customer service. I think they will be in business for many years to come.
Ben4762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
Hensley has great customer service. I think they will be in business for many years to come.
That has been my experience as well. The ProPride may be equally a good hitch, but I already have a Hensley that I'm very pleased with.
WBCCI #4358
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #49
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have the Hensley. Just my luck that I bought it shortly before ProPride became available.

The Number One reason I would have purchased the PP is because of the adjustable hitch head.

After numerous attempts (on other threads here), after many scale readings, after swapping stingers, I was unable to get the kind of weight transfer I believe necessary.

I would have come much closer with the PP. That trailer is now sold, and while the next one will have the H/A on it, it won't for very long.

And, for the post above about A/S being the best towing trailer, let's face the fact that NO hitched combination is very good. They are all problematical, and a compromise somewhere. It is, IMO, a mistake to think that adding the best hitch somehow punctures the performance balloon. Good design is a given -- I wouldn't have a box if you paid me (okay, a lot) -- and by purchasing the best hitch I am simply eliminating an area of risk. Cheap, as the cause of "loss of control" accidents is usually driver fault, I hope that I am reducing any poor tendencies on my part on a particular day in a particular situation by eliminating, not reducing, trailer sway.

As LEIPPER puts it: a trailer that wanders, versus one that wiggles (paraphrased).

Without anti-sway, I can twitch the tail of that trailer without effort. With one of these hitches, I have to really work hard to even approach that condition.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
The Number One reason I would have purchased the PP is because of the adjustable hitch head By Rednax

Would someone explain the adjustable hitch head by PP.
WBCCI #4358
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
The Number One reason I would have purchased the PP is because of the adjustable hitch head By Rednax

Would someone explain the adjustable hitch head by PP.
Check out post #s 93-101 and 117-128 on This Thread for an answer to that question
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Cub

I have a Hensley cub , with a 2 inch ball that Ill sell , I need to upgrade to a larger ball , this time leaning toward propride its not even a year old and I cant switch ball size need to go 2 5/16 . I didnt know i could not switch ball when i bought it . Hensley wants me to send it back to them and they will switch it for a cost, plus i pay shipping .not a happy camper.

Kipper
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Semphi, buy a used Hensley, from the Hensley co. at half price. Then when you upgrade your trailer, you will have the complete package.good luck, Hensley hitch has saved my A/S on the road more than I can count.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #54
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I have a Hensley cub , with a 2 inch ball that Ill sell , I need to upgrade to a larger ball , this time leaning toward propride its not even a year old and I cant switch ball size need to go 2 5/16 . I didnt know i could not switch ball when i bought it . Hensley wants me to send it back to them and they will switch it for a cost, plus i pay shipping .not a happy camper.

Kipper
I understand your anger. I can't begin to tell you the number of little games I have witnessed over the years.

ALL ProPride hitches, regardless of rating (600, 800, 1000 and 1400) have interchangeable hitch ball sizes. We have hitches on the road with 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16" hitch ball sizes and ANY of them can switch the hitch ball size with ease.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post

Kipper
If it were mine, I'd take it to a local machine/welding shop and have it changed....end of story.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #56
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Am I allowed to comment on something I don't own?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'm guessing so. It doesn't seem to stop some people. If I thought I knew enough about it to make a helpful post, I would.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm guessing so. It doesn't seem to stop some people. If I thought I knew enough about it to make a helpful post, I would.
Regards,
Ken
Common sense!...is that even allowed on such a topic?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #59
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Quote:

Robert, from reading your posts I've always thought you had plenty of common sense... you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Allowed, but not required.

Since this thread popped up again, I took the time to read it again.
There is one paradox that keeps showing up in all the hitch and sway threads.
I am guessing 99% of the members of the forum either own or want to own an Airstream. I am also sure that a lot of them had people say to them, "Don't throw away your money on something you don't need, buy a cheap SOB. It will work just as well. I've towed my SOB all over and it works fine for camping."
Obviously they did not follow that advice or they wouldn't be here. Yet, some are willing to tell someone else to not throw their money away on a better hitch to go with the better trailer.
I am thinking that if these people bought a expensive piece of fine art, they would mount it on the wall with a barely adequate rusty nail.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote