Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Hey Larry,

Is there any cleaning necessary for the airsafe? Just thinking about all that road grit that will get whipped up into the linkages and sliders on your extensive trip. Did they suggest that you lubricate it or do any maintenance at all??
I pretty much agree that there's simply not much to clean. A good rinsing when you was the rig should take care of it. The way it's constructed, it's pretty fool proof.
An update on rough roads, we came across some hellish rough roads yesterday, on the way to Galena, Illinois. A couple of things moved around in the AS, but no problem.
I thanked God that I had the Airsafe. Still playing around with w/d bar tension, and pressure in the Airsafe. For my rig, it seems like about 52 psi in the bag and 5 links on the bars work fine, so far....
By the way, for the Cummins fans, I've averaged 15.8 mpg, so far during the first 1,700 miles of this trip....
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

Wow, Larry C. That's great mileage!

I've been able to meet or exceed that on occasion with my old 96 F250 Powerstroke, but I can't average it over several fillups.

Are you hand-calculating or using the lie-o-meter to get your results? Are you traveling with all-tailwinds? Are you going downhill all the way? Are you maintaining a steady 45 mph?

Come on, there's got to be a reason :-)
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #103
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yup.. the Cummins will get that mileage towing. My Ford will get about 12 on average. Not bad I guess for hauling 16000 lbs combined down the road..

interesting that your still playing with the amount of air in the bag? Basically all your doing at this point is changing the height of the tongue right? Are the bars still level? It should'nt make a difference in the feel right?

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
For those of you who've used the Air Safe Hitch on extended trips or over a long period of time, I am wondering how often airbag pressure adjustments are needed. Have any of you tried using a bike tire pump with a Shraeder head to add pressure to the air bag?

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
For those of you who've used the Air Safe Hitch on extended trips or over a long period of time, I am wondering how often airbag pressure adjustments are needed. Have any of you tried using a bike tire pump with a Shraeder head to add pressure to the air bag?

Jim
No seepage on mine yet... I use their guideline and inflate until the hitch just bounces off the top stops. I use a bike pump and it is surprisingly easy and quick to fill... < 10 pumps gets me to 50lbs... I'm glad I didn't try my air compressor... it might have blown it up...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #106
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
I am wondering how often airbag pressure adjustments are needed. Have any of you tried using a bike tire pump with a Shraeder head to add pressure to the air bag?
Jim
Mine slowly loses pressure over long periods, but I have never needed to add air when using the rig. I usually set the bars a bit above horizontal when I add air.

I use a cheap 12v air compressor that rides in the toolbox. The cord is barely long enough to reach from the lighter socket in the back seat of the truck to the hitch. A bike pump might work just as well since it never needs much air.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Wow, Larry C. That's great mileage!

I've been able to meet or exceed that on occasion with my old 96 F250 Powerstroke, but I can't average it over several fillups.

Are you hand-calculating or using the lie-o-meter to get your results? Are you traveling with all-tailwinds? Are you going downhill all the way? Are you maintaining a steady 45 mph?

Come on, there's got to be a reason :-)
This Dodge is a 2003, with a six speed manual. I drive by the tach, and very seldom is the RPM over 2000 RPM. My normal speed is between 60 and 65, I usually avoid Interstates if possible. This rig weighs a bit over 17,000# CGVW. In fact, coming across northern Illinois Tuesday this week, we were pushing 45 to 50 MPH headwinds most of the way.
I am using a calculator, and had had very few tailwinds on this trip.
Across northeastern Iowa, there is very little level ground.
I love my truck! The worse mileage I ever got pulling this AS was 13.5, on the way back from Maine a couple of years ago...
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Yup.. the Cummins will get that mileage towing. My Ford will get about 12 on average. Not bad I guess for hauling 16000 lbs combined down the road..

interesting that your still playing with the amount of air in the bag? Basically all your doing at this point is changing the height of the tongue right? Are the bars still level? It should'nt make a difference in the feel right?
Looks like the best pressure for me will be in the 50 - 53 # range. It does change the ball height a bit, but not enough to notice. The bars are just a bit of an upward slant. It makes a slight difference in the feel, especially across rough roads.....
Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #109
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yeah I found that I run 55 lbs in the bag and the bars are level even with the class 6 and heavier tongue weight. That must be the sweet spot on pressure. Nice to hear things are working out on this big trip and the airsafe..

Old 06-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

JimW, I've never experienced a pressure loss in the AirSafe hitch while on a trip. My longest trip so far has been about 5000 miles, which took a month or so. I never added a pound of pressure on that trip. Now, if the rig sits for several months, I might have to add a bit of air to bring it up to level when preparing for a trip.

My normal pressure is 50 psi loaded with my ~800 pounds tongue weight. It makes a difference if I measure the hitch loaded or unloaded. The pressure is higher when loaded than otherwise.

LarryC, that six-speed standard transmission probably helps, in addition to that efficient six-cylinder Cummins. I oped for the automatic when I bought my F250 V-8 diesel new in 1996, just in case my wife would need to drive it in an emergency (like if I break a leg after a binge or something).

My last long-trip mpg readings were from a 3500-mile trip, during which I recorded an overall average of 14.7 mpg. This included flats, mountains, and winds of all directions and varieties. Not as good as your Cummins, probably because I'm feeding a litter of cylinders that is 33% more numerous than your Cummins brood and harnessing the energy with a slippery auto transmission with only four speeds in inventory :-)

I guess you're getting close to the border. I bet you-all are excited about that.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
JimW, I've never experienced a pressure loss in the AirSafe hitch while on a trip. My longest trip so far has been about 5000 miles, which took a month or so. I never added a pound of pressure on that trip. Now, if the rig sits for several months, I might have to add a bit of air to bring it up to level when preparing for a trip.

My normal pressure is 50 psi loaded with my ~800 pounds tongue weight. It makes a difference if I measure the hitch loaded or unloaded. The pressure is higher when loaded than otherwise.

LarryC, that six-speed standard transmission probably helps, in addition to that efficient six-cylinder Cummins. I oped for the automatic when I bought my F250 V-8 diesel new in 1996, just in case my wife would need to drive it in an emergency (like if I break a leg after a binge or something).

My last long-trip mpg readings were from a 3500-mile trip, during which I recorded an overall average of 14.7 mpg. This included flats, mountains, and winds of all directions and varieties. Not as good as your Cummins, or probably because I'm feeding a litter of cylinders that is 33% more numerous than your Cummins brood and harnessing the energy with a slippery auto transmission with only four speeds in inventory :-)

I guess you're getting close to the border. I bet you-all are excited about that.
We're still in northeastern Iowa, visiting friends along the Mississippit River. Such a beautiful place, they have on a cliff about 400 feet above the river. The lock and dam at Guttenberg (Lock 10), is only about a mile north, and we watch the barges locking through. We've been here since Thursday, and will be heading for Rapid City, South Dakota on Monday. It'll be another 10 days or so before we get into Alberta, at Sweetgrass, Montana. As you can see, we are taking our time on this trip.
Be advised, the roses smell great!
As for the mileage, there's no doubt in my mind that the 6 speed helps. As an update on mileage, we've driven so far 2133 miles, and averaged 15.1 MPG. I'm certainly not complaining!
Larry
Old 06-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #112
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Still a believer in the airsafe?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Still a believer in the airsafe?
Oh yeah! In fact the more I use it, the more I appreciate it. Things in the AS seem to ride better, I especially notice the difference on expansion joints, and rough roads....
I've been visiting a couple of old farts like me, whom I used to work with in EOD before I retired about the AirSafe, I may have to start charging AirSafe some kind of commision....
I've also have a couple of conversations about it with my Uncle Jack Daniels, he's also sold on it..
Larry
Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #114
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
This time next month I will be in expansion joint hell. It will be a great test for the airsafe. Miles of screwed up California cement roadway where I usually hang in the second lane so large pieces of my airstream dont come loose. Im sure the airsafe will get a workout. Be sure to post some pictures of your trip!

Thanks Vinnie

Old 06-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
This time next month I will be in expansion joint hell. It will be a great test for the airsafe. Miles of screwed up California cement roadway where I usually hang in the second lane so large pieces of my airstream dont come loose. Im sure the airsafe will get a workout. Be sure to post some pictures of your trip!

Thanks Vinnie
We came across a stretch of US 20 in northern Iowa today that gave it a real test also. I'll get some pictures posted in the next few days. This area we just left in north eastern Iowa, along the Mississippi, is a spectacular place. After this trip, we will be spending a lot of time on the River Road, on both sides of the Mississippi....
Take care, and let me know how the section of "expansion joint hell" goes.
Larry
Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Quote:

Jim
Hi Jim,

I got mine Dec. 2008 settled on 50 lb. after a few adjustments and haven't added air since. I checked it this year before towing, still had 50 lb.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #117
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ok Larry...

Its been a few weeks on the journey. Whats going on?

Vinnie

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Ok Larry...

Its been a few weeks on the journey. Whats going on?

Vinnie
OK, here's the update....We left Alabama May 12, after the obligatory stops to see the relatives and outlaws in Indiana, saw friends and people I used to work with in Guttenberg, Iowa, and Rapid City, South Dakota. Spent a couple of days in Calgory, Alberta, then drove the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper in Alberta, then to Hinton, Alberta and on to Dawson Creek, the beginning of the Alaska Highway.
After several days in Alberta, British Columbia, and Yukon Territory, today about noon, we arrived in Tok, Alaska.
Road conditions were great. The only exception was from White River, Yukon Territory to about 40 miles north of the border, there were frost heaves and loose gravel, the total miles for these conditions was around 80 miles or so....all one has to do is obey the signs and you'll be OK. If the sign says 25 MPH, or KPH, don't try it at 30! Pretty simple!
Now for the AirSafe hitch, the money was well spent! I wish I would have bought one a long time ago. I've settled on 53 PSI in the airbag, and the few times when I hit a frost heave at 5 or 10 MPH faster than I should have, needless to say, I was very glad I had it.
Fuels costs in Canada were about 30 cents more than the US, but when we got to northern British Columbia, and into the Yukon, diesel was around $4.30 to $4.40. The exchange rate between Canada/US was about .02/dollar in our favor. Most places if you paid in US currency were par with our dollar.
So far, since leaving lower Alabama, we have driven 6,200 miles, I would imagine by the time we return home we will be in the 16,000 mile range.
One other thing, the fuel mileage on my Dodge/Cummins/30' Excella has averaged 14.7 so far.....I've talked to Ford and Cheve/GMC diesel owners, they are averaging about 11 to 12.....
If any of you have thought about this trip, but haven't done it, don't wait any longer.....it's wonderful!
Larry
Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Larry,

That is great mileage, although I have read reports thru AAA about a guy with a Dodge and Airstream driving 25 mph for the last 6200 miles and holding up traffic from Alabama to Alaska just so he can get good fuel mileage..
Seriously, thanks for the update and glad it's all working out with the hitch and the big journey you guys are on.
I'm still in limbo, and haven't used anything I bought yet.
But one of these days I'll get out there and try these toys out.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, that's a lot of traveling and as I have said before, we hope to take an Alaska trip some day; Maybe next year? Where's the pictures? I'm a Ford person, but not a Diesel fan. It has been reported by many, especially those traveling together, [with Diesels] that the Dodge is far better on fuel mileage.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote