Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Vinnie, I have a Class V AirSafe, which does not have the shock absorbers. So, when I push down on the loaded hitch, the air bags allow more movement than yours due to the fact that there are no shock absorbers hindering the motion.

I'm sure that AirSafe found that with very heavy hitch loads, the shocks become necessary to prevent undue motion. My hitch weight is around 800 pounds, and yours is probably at least 50% more. So, it stands to reason that the heavier loads require additional restraint supplied by the shock absorbers on the rough roads we often must drive on today.

I don't know what type of tow vehicle you have, but if you find the ride is not as improved as you might like, you might try reducing your weigh-transfer bars' tension a bit. This can sometimes allow the hitch to provide a smoother ride while not affecting weight transfer any significant degree. The formulas for a good, safe ride are not as rigid as sometimes professed.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Thanks Airstreamer67,

I probably would have stayed on the fence if Larry didnt post his idea. Will take it out this weekend and see what is does... I know when I bounce up and down on the hitch I can barely get any movement out of it but that will change once we get out on the road Im sure..

Vinnie
Vinnie,
Sounds to me like you oughta gain some weight so when you bounce up and down on the hitch, you'll be able to see for sure if you get any movement....HOHOHO!
The way we've been eating so far on this trip, if I don't go on a diet pretty soon, I will be over my combined GVW!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Vinnie, I have a Class V AirSafe, which does not have the shock absorbers. So, when I push down on the loaded hitch, the air bags allow more movement than yours due to the fact that there are no shock absorbers hindering the motion.

I'm sure that AirSafe found that with very heavy hitch loads, the shocks become necessary to prevent undue motion. My hitch weight is around 800 pounds, and yours is probably at least 50% more. So, it stands to reason that the heavier loads require additional restraint supplied by the shock absorbers on the rough roads we often must drive on today.

I don't know what type of tow vehicle you have, but if you find the ride is not as improved as you might like, you might try reducing your weigh-transfer bars' tension a bit. This can sometimes allow the hitch to provide a smoother ride while not affecting weight transfer any significant degree. The formulas for a good, safe ride are not as rigid as sometimes professed.
As far as the w/d bars tension, on my setup at least, I've used both 5 links and 6 links, and the jury is still out. My preliminary feel though, for the first 1,400 miles of our trip is that 5 links seem to feel better. I'll have that figured out by the time we get into Canada.
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #74
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Vinnie,
Sounds to me like you oughta gain some weight so when you bounce up and down on the hitch, you'll be able to see for sure if you get any movement....HOHOHO!
The way we've been eating so far on this trip, if I don't go on a diet pretty soon, I will be over my combined GVW!

My wife has had to remind me to back away from the table more than once...

Larry, keep an eye on those four bolts retaining that bracket. Turns out those lock washers are not the best quality. I went to a local steel supplier here in town and got some better one's that dont distort when torqueing. Keep reporting on your progress!

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #75
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hey Larry,

Take a look at our two setups.. Seems that the airsafe comes out of your reciever at an angle? Does this mean that even when tipping your hitch back towards the trailer your bars are still more or less even with the roadway? Just thinking about the angles.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #76
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
My bars are 1000lbs and I really have to crank on them.

Vinnie

Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #77
_

. , .
Quote:
...Take a look at our two setups...
hey vin, has the A frame on your unit been repaired or modified?

just noticed the cup/ball mount is NOT typical of modern streams...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ball_cup_types.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	103483

the one on yer slide is a 'type C' it would appear.

typically newer streams are type A and older units B with some overlap between these 2.

i don't recall noticing a C type on any newer stream.

can't find any good pics of other slide units, maybe they're all Cz.

basically this has got nuttin' to do with with the inflatohitch but will affect how set up LOOKs...

from 1 stream 2 the next.

as i recall C types are typically seen on trailers with really TALL frame rails...

that arrangement does affect stinger setup

and cuts INTO ground clearance under the barsnhitch a bit more ...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #78
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I dont think it has been modified.. All the welds look factory. I saw it too and thought it looked like the same type of coupler they use on mobile homes. Typically you see them sticking out into the flowerpots.. big heavy duty couplers. This means my setup has to be lower. I do have extra holes in the frame from the PO that had a different weight dist setup. Im thinking I want to get those welded up and grinded back down.. repaint and all that... My profile says its a 2002 but its really an early production 2001. We just dont have that model listed anywhere within airstream. They never mention 2001 slides...

Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
My wife has had to remind me to back away from the table more than once...

Larry, keep an eye on those four bolts retaining that bracket. Turns out those lock washers are not the best quality. I went to a local steel supplier here in town and got some better one's that dont distort when torqueing. Keep reporting on your progress!

Thanks Vinnie
Will do, thanks for the heads up on that. So far, mine appear to be OK.
Larry

Old 05-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Hey Larry,

Take a look at our two setups.. Seems that the airsafe comes out of your reciever at an angle? Does this mean that even when tipping your hitch back towards the trailer your bars are still more or less even with the roadway? Just thinking about the angles.
The photos I posted are a bit misleading. I took them when we arrived at our campground in Goshen, Indiana, as soon as I backed the AS into our site the area where the trailer is parked is fairly level, the area where to truck sits is slightly downhill. I had a slight uphill drive to get into the site, the trailer is fairly level at this point, but my truck is going slightly downhill.
When the truck and the AS are both on level, everything is the way it's supposed to be....
Larry

Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #81
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boulder , Colorado
reese vs equalizer

We are in the process of purchasing a 27' FB International and have had coflicting stories as to the appropriate hitch. Can anyone shed some light on the reese vs the equalizer and what is the airsafe. Thanks Stan
Old 05-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #82
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
What a difference...

As I pulled out the driveway and down my street I definately felt the airbag on every bump and wasnt sure at first that I made the right decision. Its a strange feeling when the airbag is that far beyond the rear axle and it kinda sends a jolt up the truck with each little bump. As I began to pick up speed say above 40 mph everything changed. Now Im a believer in Airsafe. Freeway expansion joints are basically gone and the large dips in the road are consumed by the hitch now. Overall im really happy. I stopped in a parking lot to take some shots now that I think I have it all dialed in. Thanks for posting this thread Larry. Its been fun to set up both of these hitches together.

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2275.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	103520   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2276.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	103521  

Name:	100_2277.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	103522   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2278.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	103523  

Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #83
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkornfeld View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a 27' FB International and have had coflicting stories as to the appropriate hitch. Can anyone shed some light on the reese vs the equalizer and what is the airsafe. Thanks Stan
Hello Stan,

Welcome to the forums.. Reese vs Equalizer and Airsafe. You will get a million opinions. I like the Reese setup and now recently a fan of the airsafe hitch. Larry likes the Equalizer and the Airsafe.. Theres no right or wrong answer really.. go with whatever you want to do.

Cheers.. Vinnie

Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkornfeld View Post
Welcome to the thread! Go to the first page, and read through the next 5 after that. Some good pix, interesting arguements pro and con in regards to the AirSafe, and various equalizing hitchs.
Personally, I wish I would have bought the AirSafe years ago. We're currently in northern Indiana, on the first leg of an Alaskan trip...
Larry C