Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Oh - and my suggestion for your 25 Airstream - I would suggest...

Ford F-250 4x4 with Diesel Power (hey - I love oil burners)...
Ford F-150 4x4 with EcoBoost V6 (the gasser that thinks its an oil burner)...

If you don't plan on upgrading - the F-150 is fine, but if you go 27 or larger or like to take lots of toys on the road with you, the Super Duty is the route for ya!

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiresoon
Thanks for all of the advice.

Does the axle ratio matter?
I've got the 10.75" pumpkin loaded with 3.73's 4x4lifted and 35" Goodyear MTR kevlars. When I get a new one, I'll definitely opt for 4.10's. I believe that the power difference with the lower cogs far outweighs the 1mpg hit I've taken. I have 125,000 on the clock, most of it towing, pulling or tearing it up offroad. Royal Purple in all orifices, and it continues to sing. BUT, I would not call it a freight train for pulling. The 4.10's would make a huge difference in towing performance.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #31
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310z View Post
So when you purchased your Ford which country and it's people did you support???? Most people I know that drive Fords and it is a lot, have their ford emblems covered up and if I was to buy anything other than a Toyota it would be a Ford.
I haven't had a Ford in years. We run two 2005 Land Rover Defenders down here. One wagon and one ragtop. these were made in England but I think the company is now owned in India or some place.

Hey, these days I feel like I won a round if whatever I came home with wasn't made in China.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Hey, these days I feel like I won a round if whatever I came home with wasn't made in China.
Laughing my butt off as I type this on my beloved Mac "Desgined in California" - "Built in China"...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 05-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #33
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck

Laughing my butt off as I type this on my beloved Mac "Desgined in California" - "Built in China"...
You just bummed me out. I was reading this on my iPhone and had to flip it over to see -china- ;(
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...2&d=1306781017

I have towed with Tahoe (5.3 L , 3.42, 4 SP) and Rodge Ram 1500 Crew cab (5.7 L, 3.90. % sp) The Dodge tows better because it has more HP, Torque, and Higher Rear end ratio. The Tahoe road better and my wife liked to drive it when not towing.

For GM products I recommend you get the 3.73 axle and the 6 sp transmission if available. The link shows you the engine RPM at 60 MPH and the Torque/HP curve.

Engine RPM will vary due to tire size. I used the tire size that my Tahoe had to make the calculaitons.

Jim
Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...2&d=1306781017 have towed with Tahoe (5.3 L , 3.42, 4 SP) and Rodge Ram 1500 Crew cab (5.7 L, 3.90. % sp) The Dodge tows better because it has more HP, Torque, and Higher Rear end ratio.Jim
Trailer towing vehicles love the torque...

Torque is King - long live Torque
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310z View Post
I now have a 2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 4x4 and have first hand knowledge of how it preforms and when and if I feel there is not enough power there is the TRD department of Toyota to help out. The dealer available supercharger bumps power to 500 hp and 505 lb. ft. of torque that can all be covered under under warranty if installed by a dealer.
310', what kind of gas mileage do you get with the supercharger? Towing and not towing? What does this option cost? Was the supercharger added to the 4.7 or 5.7 L. V8? Do they do anything with the suspension to make it a 3/4 ton? I see this started in 2008, so I'm just catching up.

Our 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 V8, basically the same truck (minus supercharger), does fine towing our 25' Safari over Rocky Mtn passes, so the only reason for us to get a newer truck with a supercharger would be gas mileage. Back in the 1980's, when engines were shrunk for gas mileage requirements, turbos and superchargers were used to increase power and the combination resulted in better gas mileage. But that created other problems. Mostly they used turbos because superchargers were always running and used gas, but people didn't like turbo lag or the prices or the repairs.

Toyota used to offer a supercharger for the 4Runner and sometimes I'd see one. Then they offered the 4.7 L. V8 in the 4Runner, but they stopped that. Car and Driver didn't write a sterling review of the Tundra with supercharger: Toyota Tundra TRD Supercharged - First Drive Review - Car and Driver

Gene
Old 05-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310z

So when you purchased your Ford which country and it's people did you support???? .
I own stock in both Ford and Toyota. So if you buy either truck you are supporting me, a born in the USA Vietnam vet retiree. I used to be a Toyota dealer. And I appreciate your business.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #38
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Our stock includes oil and gas properties. Please....buy bigger motors.

And don't forget to change that oil. regularly.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Our stock includes oil and gas properties. Please....buy bigger motors.

And don't forget to change that oil. regularly.
Us too. Change oil every 100 miles. Lubricate everything. And for those of you who who have Integrys utilities, turn on the lights and leave them on; you and only you can buy an electric car. Buy some copper and make phone calls, and don't forget to go to the doctor so he/she can pay rent to the medical buildings owners (us) and stay in hotels (another REIT). If you can't make sure we get dividends that way, just send money directly to us.

Gene
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Susanville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
310', what kind of gas mileage do you get with the supercharger? Towing and not towing? What does this option cost? Was the supercharger added to the 4.7 or 5.7 L. V8? Do they do anything with the suspension to make it a 3/4 ton? I see this started in 2008, so I'm just catching up.

Our 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 V8, basically the same truck (minus supercharger), does fine towing our 25' Safari over Rocky Mtn passes, so the only reason for us to get a newer truck with a supercharger would be gas mileage. Back in the 1980's, when engines were shrunk for gas mileage requirements, turbos and superchargers were used to increase power and the combination resulted in better gas mileage. But that created other problems. Mostly they used turbos because superchargers were always running and used gas, but people didn't like turbo lag or the prices or the repairs.

Toyota used to offer a supercharger for the 4Runner and sometimes I'd see one. Then they offered the 4.7 L. V8 in the 4Runner, but they stopped that. Car and Driver didn't write a sterling review of the Tundra with supercharger: Toyota Tundra TRD Supercharged - First Drive Review - Car and Driver

Gene
I do not have the super charger. When I purchased the truck I was attempting to purchase a lower line truck such as an SR5 with lots of options and then install the $5500 super charger because I am a horse power junkie. But when it came down to it the only truck I could find that I liked was a Limited and that shot my budget all to hell. But now that I am looking at purchasing a trailer, maybe I can work in the NEED for a super charger.

From talking to TRD I was informed that IF you can keep your foot out of it you can expect to gain up to 3 mpg. While you gain that 3 mpg you will be purchasing premium fuel.

The truck will always remain a 1/2 ton. You can not make it a 3/4 ton. If you only need a half ton, there are benefits to that. They all ride nicer than a 3/4 or 1 ton and do not ware out tires as rapidly. In California licensing is less expensive.

However, the 5.7L Tundra was made for pulling. It has 381 hp. 401 lb-ft. of torque with 90% of that torque available as low as 2400 rpm. all the way to 5500 rpm. It has a 6 speed transmission with a tow/haul mode, it has a 10.5in. ring gear in the rear end with a 4.30 gear ratio, the tow hitch receiver is integrated into the frame, the front brake rotors are 13.9 in. by 1.26 in. Because of these attributes the Tundra is not the gas mileage champ. Gas mileage is rated at 14-17 mpg and that is probably accurate. When cruising on flat ground and keeping the speed below 65 mph I frequently receive 20 mpg. But once you bump that speed up to 70-75 the mileage drops to 13.5 to 14 mpg.

I have not done any heavy towing with it yet. My boat and trailer are only about 3000 lb. The boat trailer is balanced out well and I cant even tell it is behind me. I live in the mountains and everywhere I go is either up, down or around a corner.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I thought I had the perfect tow vehicle with my GMC Duramax/Alison truck until I drove my buddy's new Dodge 4X4 Diesel. A really nice truck with LOTS of power.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1981 31' Excella II
longview , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
We just got our Excella two months ago. We looked at 25s and 27s but settled on a 30. Our GMC 1500 5.3 V8 was not up to the challenge. We did a LOT of research on a replacement TV. Knowledgeable mechanics pointed me away from Ford and Dodge, and to the 2007-2008 GMC or Chevy 2500HD 6.6 diesel with the Allison tranny. Got our 2008 Chevy and just got home from the first trip pulling with it. Heaven on Earth in the hilly Blue Ridge of Virginia compared to the gassey.
what was the problem with the 1500? did fuel milage improve with the 2008?

thanks Dee