Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'm not saying it's the sole input to the system. I don't have it set up and my truck *does* go into anti-saway mode. I'm saying that if it's there, the data does get used. The same "calibration" drive that makes it work for backing up, gives them the data for other things.

Bob
Bob, I know you're saying that the backup system isn't the sole input to the sway feature. And what I'm saying is the backup assist system has nothing to do with the trailer sway feature at all.

You say that your sway control works even though you haven't set up trailer assist, which kind of supports my assertion. Besides, what would be the point of sway control using additional data from the trailer assist system even if it were available? Sway control in your truck already works as designed without having to account for a missing or misplaced sticker or perhaps incorrectly input measurements.

Oh, well. It seems you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #42
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Can't yo give it a rest with the Hensley and Propride Projector.
Every time I see one of these contraptions hanging off a trailer, I look for the projector and can't find it.
Frank I was simply stating why people like them, that's all. I was neither advocating for or against their use. I'm an applied mathematician by education so I certainly understand how they work, it's not that complicated, relatively speaking

That being said I use a traditional friction-based sway deterrent hitch on my setup. It works fine for me, just a different approach as it is a friction-based sway deterrent which helps prevent the forces behind the TV to generate yaw on the TV.

From a Physics perspective, all of this relates to the forces placed on the vehicle, and hence the roll that electronic stability control / TSC plays (is tasked with) in taking counter measures to counter-act these forces through (1) automated braking of particular wheels on the TV to create additional friction to combat yaw and (2) applying voltage to trailer brakes, creating tension at the union to help reduce / eliminate the sway that is generating the yaw, and bring the trailer back in line.

But hey - what do I know... take it for what it's worth

Happy Monday to all!

I'm out
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Cool The Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks again for these details. Can you provide any information about the document you now have, such as a publication stock number, title page info, etc.?

Also, does the language specifically cover only the F-series pickups like yours, or is it more generic than that, such that it might also cover our 2017 Ford Transit van?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- The text here:

https://www.autobytel.com/car-owners...ontrol-123198/

. . . suggests that the Transit van is not included in this system IMO:

"The Ford Trailer Sway Control (or TSC) system is standard on many of Ford's new vehicles, including the F-150 and Super Duty pickup trucks and Escape, Expedition, and Explorer sport utility vehicles. TSC uses the AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control System (or RSC) to help keep the truck and trailer combination in control. The Roll Stability Control system has two gyroscopic sensors that measure vehicle roll and turning rates. By selectively braking and adjusting engine power the Trailer Sway Control system is able to maintain trailer control and help prevent sway, resulting in improved stability and providing greater driver confidence."
Peter,

The document does not reference any particular model. It has no "publication part number" or any other way to identify the document other than the title, "Trailer Sway Control" and it does then refer to "Technology > In-vehicle Technologies > Truck Operations". So if you ask a Ford sales person or service director, they should be willing to show the document to you, even give a copy to you.

Oxen
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Frank I was simply stating why people like them, that's all. I was neither advocating for or against their use. I'm an applied mathematician by education so I certainly understand how they work, it's not that complicated, relatively speaking

That being said I use a traditional friction-based sway deterrent hitch on my setup. It works fine for me, just a different approach as it is a friction-based sway deterrent which helps prevent the forces behind the TV to generate yaw on the TV.

From a Physics perspective, all of this relates to the forces placed on the vehicle, and hence the roll that electronic stability control / TSC plays (is tasked with) in taking counter measures to counter-act these forces through (1) automated braking of particular wheels on the TV to create additional friction to combat yaw and (2) applying voltage to trailer brakes, creating tension at the union to help reduce / eliminate the sway that is generating the yaw, and bring the trailer back in line.

But hey - what do I know... take it for what it's worth

Happy Monday to all!

I'm out
More often than not these threads have a propensity to degenerate into a free promotional for PP and Hensley. I never owned either and never will mostly because of their way to cumbersome nature . Not to mention the fact that in all the years I have been towing I never had a sway incident using much simpler hitches. And that includes my brief experimentation with an Anderson. And in MHO the best sway prevention device in any set up ultimately is the driver.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #46

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
We can all buy Interstates and solve the hitch debate problem.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Thumbs down Ford Sway Control Not Hitches

Ladies and Gentlemen, this thread is not about hitches. It's about Ford F-150 onboard sway control.
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote