Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Ford Super duty camera package.

I posted this on the 2017 Super Duty thread but I want to catch the attention of those with experience with the system.

I would like to hear about owners experiences with the Tow Technology Package at almost $2000. My understanding the cameras only work when the vehicle is moving at less than 6 mph and you can't turn on the optional trailer camera (another $725) as you are driving down the road. Also, it doesn't seem to be any value to the center high-mount stop lamp camera if you have a canopy which would block the camera view. Seems like a lot of money for limited value. Adaptive steering, automatic high beam with rain-sensing windshield wipers, lane departure warning included in the package add some value but I'm not sure it's still worth it.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of recording ability of the forward or any cameras. Since the popularity of dash cams have skyrocketed, I'm surprised vehicle manufacturers haven't caught on.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I think the camera package on my 250 is the greatest thing I've ever seen. It is absolutely fantastic for any sort of parking process with or without the trailer involved. It makes hooking up the trailer solo *massively* easier than anything else I've ever tried. Of all the miscellaneous fluff on the truck, it's the one thing (other than the AC or cruise control) I use the most.

Indeed the high mounted camera is blocked by a cap. That's just physics. If you are running a 5th wheel that would make using it to hook up a pain. So would the cap .... There's not much of a way around that design wise. Since I don't run a 5th wheel and don't have a cap, not a big issue. Even with all that, I still don't use the high mount camera for anything. The rear vision I do use comes off the tailgate.

Running cameras or anything else that "distracts" the driver gets you in trouble with the Fed's. It's the same nonsense that shuts off GPS controls and the like when you are in motion. Strange as it may seem, there is an approval process the manufacturers have to go through. Yes, it's a crazy world in that respect.

Is any package worth what they want you to pay for it? That's always debatable.

The $725 "trailer camera" package also includes a TPMS that integrates into the built in monitoring system. It eliminates two dash mounted displays (one for the TPMS and the other for the backup camera) that would be there with a typical after market solution. Cost wise it's not insane compared to a typical camera + in tire TPMS setup.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I think the camera package on my 250 is the greatest thing I've ever seen. It is absolutely fantastic for any sort of parking process with or without the trailer involved. It makes hooking up the trailer solo *massively* easier than anything else I've ever tried. Of all the miscellaneous fluff on the truck, it's the one thing (other than the AC or cruise control) I use the most.

Bob
Agree with Bob 100%. Great for pulling into or backing into a parking space and being able to see where you are in the space as if you have your own personal drone hovering over the truck filming the process.
I have a 2017 F250 CrewCab Lariat 6.2 liter truck with the option. One reason I got it.

My Airstream is still on order, but I look forward to trying the trailer backup system in which a target sticker is placed on the trailer frame between the hitch and the propane tank cover and the system projects on the screen where the trailer will go with given steering angle inputs.
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
+3 on the positive camera comments. I've used the system on an F150 and have ordered the Ultimate Tow package with the cameras on a soon to arrive F250. Wouldn't want to be without them.

I would have ordered the trailer camera since it nicely integrates into the Sync 3 screen but our new Classic will come with a rear camera as standard. I can always add the Ford camera later if I want since it comes as an aftermarket kit anyway.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I posted this on the 2017 Super Duty thread but I want to catch the attention of those with experience with the system.

I would like to hear about owners experiences with the Tow Technology Package at almost $2000. My understanding the cameras only work when the vehicle is moving at less than 6 mph and you can't turn on the optional trailer camera (another $725) as you are driving down the road. Also, it doesn't seem to be any value to the center high-mount stop lamp camera if you have a canopy which would block the camera view. Seems like a lot of money for limited value. Adaptive steering, automatic high beam with rain-sensing windshield wipers, lane departure warning included in the package add some value but I'm not sure it's still worth it.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of recording ability of the forward or any cameras. Since the popularity of dash cams have skyrocketed, I'm surprised vehicle manufacturers haven't caught on.

Another big vote for the camera package- possibly the best accessory on the truck. I agree with others that hooking up the Airstream is a breeze with it. Without the trailer it's a huge help maneuvering parking spots or my garage. I added the trailer TPMS but skipped the camera instead using the voyager camera the came with my Classic. I use it full-time when towing. The Ford camera can't compete with the always-on voyager
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
Another big vote for the camera package- possibly the best accessory on the truck. I agree with others that hooking up the Airstream is a breeze with it. Without the trailer it's a huge help maneuvering parking spots or my garage. I added the trailer TPMS but skipped the camera instead using the voyager camera the came with my Classic. I use it full-time when towing. The Ford camera can't compete with the always-on voyager
How did you add the TPMS? Did you use aftermarket or Ford parts. If aftermarket, I assume they were compatible with the Ford display? And thanks for yours and all the comments here. I'm rethinking.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
How did you add the TPMS? Did you use aftermarket or Ford parts. If aftermarket, I assume they were compatible with the Ford display? And thanks for yours and all the comments here. I'm rethinking.
I'll also be interested in seeing Pete's comments on the TPMS. I know that the Ford kit interfaces with the truck's TPMS readout in the instrument display (not the SYNC screen) and you can see TPMS info for the TV and TT all in one place. I'm very likely to get the Ford TPMS kit for that reason. To my knowledge other aftermarket TPMS systems require a separate dedicated monitor and aren't compatible with the OEM display.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Be sure to read the literature thoroughly for the TPMS, if I recall it has very specific requirements for use. Down to tire types and sizes etc..

For all of those who proclaim the $2000 camera system makes hooking up easier, do you really use more than the standard backup/tailgate camera? What advantage do the other cameras add to this process?

I opted out of it on my 2017 and haven't really wished for it yet, you know you can't miss what you haven't known.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Be sure to read the literature thoroughly for the TPMS, if I recall it has very specific requirements for use. Down to tire types and sizes etc..

For all of those who proclaim the $2000 camera system makes hooking up easier, do you really use more than the standard backup/tailgate camera? What advantage do the other cameras add to this process?

I opted out of it on my 2017 and haven't really wished for it yet, you know you can't miss what you haven't known.
Hi

First off, the $725 package includes the Ford camera *and* the Ford TPMS sensors. You have to use their sensors to talk to their system.

Backing into a site, hooking up, unhooking involves a lot more than just the tailgate camera. Indeed it's very cool and useful. The magic lines that move with the steering wheel are great. The other cameras are *very* useful for avoiding this or that obstacle at a pinch point. There's a lot of blind spots close up to a truck. A guy two sites down hung up his truck on a post three days ago while backing his trailer in (spotter was on the wrong side ...). Some sites are pretty small, packing the TV into the site first time solo with no camera ... yikes ....

Well worth it.

Bob
Old 09-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Denton , Texas
Trailer camera system

Used ours today in backing at dealership for equalizer hitch install and trailer hook up, deadly accurate, I don't see why you would need any other cameras. Our trailer has the remote camera system, and I see it as valuable also, uses separate portable monitor that sits nicely on dash of our F250 lariat diesel 4x4.
ElSuenoFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post

I've seen the specs regarding wheel requirements. I contacted Sendel (the suppliers for many AS wheels) and they told me there would be no problem; their wheels meet the requirements. Normal steel belted radials (not steel carcass tires) also present no problems. Also, several folks here have already installed the Ford system successfully.

On my ordered Platinum level 2017 F250 the Ultimate Tow Package and surround cameras were an additional $710. The $2000 package includes other stuff that is already standard on that model but is still worthwhile on other trim levels. I think the value is there, either way.

With a big truck, especially, having extended capability to see around you is invaluable. One accidental crunch avoided and I will have paid for the cost of the cameras. Just my humble opinion.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I've seen the specs regarding wheel requirements. I contacted Sendel (the suppliers for many AS wheels) and they told me there would be no problem

With a big truck, especially, having extended capability to see around you is invaluable.
Good. I was surprised when I saw the "limitations" and wondered if it was a CYA thing or if they are really that restrictive.
The integrated trailer camera would be nice, to be able to lose the extra screen, but not being able to access it/them during travel was part of my decision process, using it as an auxiliary rear view mirror on the road is worth more to me. It would be nice if they would incorporate the ability to access the one camera during travel.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I've seen the specs regarding wheel requirements. I contacted Sendel (the suppliers for many AS wheels) and they told me there would be no problem; their wheels meet the requirements. Normal steel belted radials (not steel carcass tires) also present no problems. Also, several folks here have already installed the Ford system successfully.

On my ordered Platinum level 2017 F250 the Ultimate Tow Package and surround cameras were an additional $710. The $2000 package includes other stuff that is already standard on that model but is still worthwhile on other trim levels. I think the value is there, either way.

With a big truck, especially, having extended capability to see around you is invaluable. One accidental crunch avoided and I will have paid for the cost of the cameras. Just my humble opinion.
Hi

Even the "all steel" LT tires AS uses appear to work fine with the Ford TPMS. Several people have put them in and reported success.

Bob
Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
[QUOTE=uncle_bob;2012414]Hi

First off, the $725 package includes the Ford camera *and* the Ford TPMS sensors. You have to use their sensors to talk to their system.

Backing into a site, hooking up, unhooking involves a lot more than just the tailgate camera. Indeed it's very cool and useful. The magic lines that move with the steering wheel are great. The other cameras are *very* useful for avoiding this or that obstacle at a pinch point. There's a lot of blind spots close up to a truck. A guy two sites down hung up his truck on a post three days ago while backing his trailer in (spotter was on the wrong side ...). Some sites are pretty small, packing the TV into the site first time solo with no camera ... yikes ....

Well worth it.

(QUOTE)

Not to be argumentative but, I have been backing up my 30' trailer for a number of years without any " spotters" and with only the tailgate camera. I find it very useful to hitch up and that is about it. However there is no substitute for learning how to use your mirrors and taking the time to asses the location and the situation you need to back your trailer into. IMHO cameras don't help any in backing up a trailer. I have a camera on my trailer and it only distracts me from looking where I need to and is no help at all. And I simply can't see needing all that camera power just to spot my truck.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I'm the OP and I want to thank all of you for sharing your comments and experiences. I'm still undecided regarding ordering the package. I would like those you with the option to answer a couple of questions.

One, is it true the cameras only operate at less than about 6 mph.

Second, if you have the optional trailer camera installed, can you view it at any speed. Those that have cameras on the rear of the trailer often turn it on to see what's behind them as they travel down the road.

Third, often as you are backing into a space sometimes require a very tight angle to get into the spot. I mean very close to 75 degree angle between the truck and trailer. How does the "backup guidance" system perform? I've seen some videos but the videos don't demonstrate the sometimes extreme angles that are often required to get into to some of those back in sites.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
I'm the OP and I want to thank all of you for sharing your comments and experiences. I'm still undecided regarding ordering the package. I would like those you with the option to answer a couple of questions.

One, is it true the cameras only operate at less than about 6 mph.

Second, if you have the optional trailer camera installed, can you view it at any speed. Those that have cameras on the rear of the trailer often turn it on to see what's behind them as they travel down the road.

Third, often as you are backing into a space sometimes require a very tight angle to get into the spot. I mean very close to 75 degree angle between the truck and trailer. How does the "backup guidance" system perform? I've seen some videos but the videos don't demonstrate the sometimes extreme angles that are often required to get into to some of those back in sites.
One: Yes
Second: No
Third: The main purpose of the trailer aid feature is to give you a better picture of where you're trying to put the trailer. The camera view can be switched to whichever side of the trailer you choose as well as providing an overhead view of how your TV and trailer are positioned. It offers input which allows you to make sure the trailer is being backed up straight when that's what you're trying to do, It also shows lines which indicate where your trailer is headed relative to steering input. The system isn't really "guiding" the trailer, per se, it's just giving you more information to make your own placement decisions. For that reason, it doesn't really matter what the angle of the trailer is as long as the camera can still see the sticker. And, of course, it gives a better view of what is around your truck even when a trailer isn't attached.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are trying to find reasons why you don't need to spend the extra money and I completely understand that. I'm sure you'll be fine without the cameras. I can say that, while I discounted the value of having the system on my F150 and only changed my order at the last possible minute to get it, now that I've got it I wouldn't want to be without it. I ordered it without hesitation on the F250.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
A back up camera can save many times its value just helping you prevent one accident. Not counting all the rest it prevents. Don't ask how I know.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #18
Jim

2016 30' International
Big Lake , Alaska
I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question are closely related. I am glad to see so many positive replies on the camera system but like everyone, I would rather that Ford enable the rear trailer camera to be viewed while towing. My guess is that if they don't some enterprising company will come out with a box that does it along the lines of a Lockpick.

My question has to do with the other technology that comes with the package. Anybody care to provide feedback on the adaptive cruise control and the trailer length blind spot monitoring and other towing specific features?
Thanks,
Jim
akjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by akjam View Post
My question has to do with the other technology that comes with the package. Anybody care to provide feedback on the adaptive cruise control and the trailer length blind spot monitoring and other towing specific features?
Thanks,
Jim
The trailer blind spot monitoring definitely works in my F150. Trailer length (up to 33') is one of the parameters you input when setting up and naming a specific trailer; the system will accommodate up to 10 individual trailers IIRC. When that trailer is hooked up and selected the BLIS range is extended to the appropriate distance and the warning lights in the side view mirrors will light or flash if another vehicle enters the coverage zone or you try to make a lane change with them there.

I have no experience with adaptive cruise in the Ford. My wife has it in her BMW i3 and I find it sometimes gives annoying warnings when none are warranted. I've also read complaints that the Ford system can cause unintended braking in some situations, such as pulling out to pass. True or not, I didn't order it on my truck.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
A back up camera can save many times its value just helping you prevent one accident. Not counting all the rest it prevents. Don't ask how I know.
guskmg
IMHO Cameras are more of a distraction than a useful aid.
You want avoid accidents, get out of the truck pace the spot you need to get into and plan it out. Than use the mirrors. Using the mirrors will force you to be looking where you need to be going instead of your dashboard.

RE: Trailer camera. I have it and isn't much use where one would need it. It doesn't read the rear bumper. The only useful aspect that I found was in planning your move in heavy traffic areas. However having learned how to use my mirrors over the years I rarely glance at the camera. Had it not come with the trailer I wouldn't have spent the money.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote