Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
You could still do something like a 25/27FB.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Trading Airstreams costs a fortune. Pick the size and model you like, then decide how you're going to load and use it, and how far your plan to travel in the initial years.

Then do the research and decide if you're truck is adequate to get started. It might be.

Some people need a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a 25 and some tow Classics with a 1/2 ton. Not everyone's use, load, and expectations are the same.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Caldwell , Ohio
Yes, it has great power. The 3.5 engine was $2k increase. I wish I would spent the money for the bigger engine
Fritzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Real Weight Matters

Watch out for this spec:

From AS specs: Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) = 'X' pounds

Note that the weight ONLY includes the weight of the batteries and LP.

THIS IS NOT THE TOTAL WEIGHT OF A 'TRAVELING' TRAILER!

One should add "incidentals" such as water @ about 8#/gallon, (depends on how much water is in your tank - did the black and gray tanks get emptied?), and all the gear that you may have added - clothing, shoes, food, cables, etc., etc.

I typically add about 2,000# to the 'spec' weight - but, the best number is found at a truck-stop scale when you're all loaded up and ready to go.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdog View Post
Of what I read, my tow is 7600 lbs with a payload of 1600lbs. I guess a Classic is out.
Re-read dkottum above.

And, no it isn't ruled out. Trailer weight isn't the problem. Trailer shape is more important.

It's what you're willing to use to tow, once past other specification details. It's capable, but getting up near edge of the comfort of most people.

The TT and TV aren't likely to be at maximum. Nor is TW a payload question despite herd sentiment.

Got the Tow Package items on truck? Then you're pretty well set. Correct hitch lashup is the thing. Not achieved by 90% plus of RV'ers. It's the thing that matters. Not spreadsheet entries.

Lots of other questions. Family of six? Enough tools to rebuild a HD Diesel engine? Six month trips with four season weather? Etc.

For a family vacationer, it's a different set of problems. And more easily solved.

Such as, keeping the TV 8-years? Or trading in three.

My folks kept their TT 27-years. Five of us in a big ol' Cadillac on 3-4 week vacations. Plenty of shorter trips. Dad parked it a few years, then they were full-timers for years in retirement. Two tow vehicles over that stretch.

How long will you own the TT? Have a plan. A TV tends to fall into place once context is better defined.

All this garbage about payload and tow ratings isn't the thing. Your truck lacks for nothing important outside of optimizing what's already present. Leave that aside. Look at all the rest, first.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'd say it's not quite clear to me *why* this one and a half year dead thread needed to come out of the grave. My guess is that those involved decided on a truck quite a while ago. I don't disagree with the recently added posts, it's just not quite clear why on a long dead thread. I rarely see much evidence of people searching old threads for this sort of information .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Nor is TW a payload question despite herd sentiment. "

So you do not consider the trailer weight added to the TV as part of the payload of the TV?

Why do you think that? I can understand a willinings to going over the payload wt rating in some cases but do not see the argument that the weight added to the TV is not counted in the payload?

I am not sure I think "the herd" is always wrong.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Here is a link to the Ford website with the specs for your TV.
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...0_r1_Jan12.pdf

The lowest rating was 7600lbs., so your good up to a 27' AS with that vehicle. Use a weight distribution hitch for sure, I will let everyone else argue which WD to buy. Good luck!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Cart & horse....

...as has been mentioned, this is the one time where it's better to put the cart in front of the horse....match the horse to whatever cart you choose.
You'll enjoy Streaming more if you haven't compromised the choice of TV OR Airstream.

Bob
Old 10-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If your past experience has all been with (say) tents and sports cars, both the TV and trailer part of this will be a completely new world. Most of us have more experience buying vehicles than buying trailers. Because of this, I think you can better *guess* what's coming on the TV than on the trailer. Going from a 16' to a 30' trailer is not all that uncommon when getting into this....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote