Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #15

undisclosed , North Pole
Ok
so pretty much doable but not advisable. .

Old 04-09-2016, 12:27 AM   #16
Some Guy

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Nashville , Tennessee
I had a 2014 A.E.V. high geared JK Unlimited and towed a 16 foot Conqueror Commander.
In East Tennessee on the Interstate it was always a white knuckle experience. If a Semi went by we were never sure if the truck was steering or the trailer. The transmission was also an issue. You would not get far pulling hills without an aux tranny cooler.

In the 4 door, it took 3 trips for me to sell the AEV and get a Land Rover LR3 for the 16. I would NEVER attempt it in a 2 door. I value living too much.

When we went with the 25 foot Eddie Bauer, I didn't look at minimal requirements. I went with Murphy's Law and got an F250. Me, my wife and our two children are worth the extra measure of safety the F250 affords us.

Can it pull it? Yes.

Would I recommend it? Heck NO!

2015 F250 TV-Petrol
WBCCI # 22342
Old 04-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcrazy View Post
Ok
Right. Another thing, is do you do much driving in the mountains? You might be struggling up some big passes.

When we had our 16' Bambi we towed it with a Toyota Tacoma. One advantage of a truck with a cap on the back is space for gear. There isn't a lot of storage space in either the 16' Sport or in a Jeep Wrangler. Something to consider for longer trips.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have seen a lot of mostly youngish folks towing smaller Bambi sized trailers with their Jeep CJ/Wranglers. They all seem to have big smiles on their faces so it must be working just fine for them. I do not think I have ever noticed any WD used.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The Jeeps as tow vehicles have some bad things going for them(short wheelbase), but they also have some inherent good design features, designed mostly for off road use which actually improve their tow handling abilities, and that is a very short rear overhang. Of course the original design intent was steep entry and exit angles for off roading, but the towing stability is actually a ratio of wheelbase to rear overhang. I know of several people towing 17' Casitas (basically the same size and weight trailer as a 16' Bambi with even the same suspension system), and there seems to be no problem at all.

My setup is a little different because my Jeep is the longer wheelbase Unlimited.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcrazy View Post
Ok
One of our customers has a Wrangler 2 door model, and tows a 16 Sport all over the place. She loves it, but said she would rather have a larger tow vehicle. We've also had people tow them with minivans, also seemed to do okay, though not stellar.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The o.p. lives at the North Pole so nothing he tows with locally will be more stable than another. But if he did make a trip a few thousand miles south with his 16' Sport he surely won't need an F250 to pull it.

There isn't enough info here about intended use or loads carried to provide good advice; maybe that's why it's all over the place.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 04-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #22

undisclosed , North Pole
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The o.p. lives at the North Pole so nothing he tows with locally will be more stable than another. But if he did make a trip a few thousand miles south with his 16' Sport he surely won't need an F250 to pull it.

There isn't enough info here about intended use or loads carried to provide good advice; maybe that's why it's all over the place.
yep i guess i should use a sled and a bunch of huskies
to be more exact : probably wont load much probably not too long trips but what worries me from the reading is i will probably encounter some hills .
so i guess i may have to rent a tow vehicle if i do buy a AS
i live in sourtern quebec province ... ill give you that info :P
Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Since some of the posters to this thread can not post their opinion in a manner that isn't judgemental or argumentative, the thread is being locked and under review.

>>>>>>>>>Action

Closed Thread