Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

New braunfels , Texas
Tailgate Down Ok?

We have gotten into position to make the purchase and dive into the world of Aistream ownership. Going to buy a pickup and a trailer, both used, and start enjoying camping in comfort.

We ride motorcycles and will be loading one of our bikes in the bed our truck. Either will fit in an 8 ft long bed but I'd prefer a short bed and load the bike with the back tire on an open tailgate.

Is this a bad idea? My concern is turning and the tailgate not clearing the propane tanks or the shell of the trailer.

Thanks in advance,

Nancy's Husband.
ChancyNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancyNancy View Post
We have gotten into position to make the purchase and dive into the world of Aistream ownership. Going to buy a pickup and a trailer, both used, and start enjoying camping in comfort.

We ride motorcycles and will be loading one of our bikes in the bed our truck. Either will fit in an 8 ft long bed but I'd prefer a short bed and load the bike with the back tire on an open tailgate.

Is this a bad idea? My concern is turning and the tailgate not clearing the propane tanks or the shell of the trailer.

Thanks in advance,

Nancy's Husband.
Dear Nancy's husband - you will mess up the propane tanks and in a sharp enough turn possibly the corner of the trailer.

IF you get a motorcycle where the front tire can be easily removed you've got anti-theft protection and a shorter motorcycle for purposes of putting it on the truck bed.

Paula
Old 08-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile tai8lgate open

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancyNancy View Post

Thanks in advance,

Nancy's Husband.
bad idea as will not clear in turns if it does clearance will be marginal not safe way, why ask for trouble or damage when can be avoided with long bed plus can put 8 ft. plywood etc. in long bed. No advantage in short bed pickup beds
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I have a 5 ft bed in my Escalade EXT and like it. BUT I cannot open my tailgate when parked at even the slightest angle to the trailer as it will impact the Power Jack on the trailer. Straight on is fine. That said, the answer to your question is it depends. Some WD hitches give more space between the truck and the trailer. I think my Equal-i-zer is among the shortest. Obviously not an option for me to leave open.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Even with a ProPride that extends pretty far back, no way would I travel with my gate down. Tight turns are just asking for trouble.

Maybe you need an Eddie Bauer :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I am sure you will be careful turning. But, negotiating RV parks will challenge you with TG down. Bad juju.

Get the longer bed.

The only other choice is to remove the TG and mount a channel iron to truck bed where you can create a ramp to load or unload the MC. That will keep the edges of truck in proper place and no accident hit if you have tight turn/back or you nearly jackknife.

Accidents happen.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I had the pleasure of buying a new tail gate when I forgot to put mine up and turned around in a cul-de-sac.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
My tailgate will not go all the way down because of the jack on the trailer.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The tailgate clears the jack post with our ProPride hitch but I never tried turning with it down. You can get a longer hitch stinger for a conventional hitch but that can severely and dangerously increase sway felt on the steering axle of the truck, especially with a short wheelbase truck.

The advantage of a shorter wheelbase truck is good maneuverability.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Traveling with tailgate down is really hard on the paint of the tailgate. Rocks, gravel, and sand thrown up from the tires will do a number on it. Then there are all the other reasons not to do it mentioned previously.

I would opt for the longer bed.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Could you get shorter motorcycles or maybe ones that fold in the middle oh wait those are bicycles that do that.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
A longer bed will not only accommodate the bikes but should provide a higher payload rating to handle the weight of the bike, camping gear and trailer tongue weight.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
On most modern trucks there are actually 3 bed lengths. A full long bed which is 8 ft.+ long {can be as much as 8'3" on some models} then there is what is often called the standard bed which is about 6'6" long inside and then the "short" bed which is under 6' and sometimes as short as 5' 3".

It depends greatly on what type of bike you have as to options. If you are talking dirt bike or an endure then you can easily load 1 on angle in a standard bed and still close the gate. You can load 2 and then use some ratchet straps and raise the gate to the almost closed and position and be just fine towing.

If you are talking a larger and heavier bike like a sport bike, large adventure bike or a cruiser, then kicking the back on an angle or lifting the back is not a good option.

The "short" bed found on many 1/2 ton crew cabs is NOT a good option for motorcycles. The "standard" bed MIGHT be, depending on the bike/bikes, the long bed is by far the most practical. The only thing you lose on a long bed is a bit of turning radius for parking, but in turn that adds stability and ride quality on the hiway...

BTW, I am a MX racer with 45 yrs of racing both street and dirt bikes and currently own 4 bikes for myself. I am VERY experienced on loading/carrying/towing with bikes.
If you are talking dirt bike/endure bike, and only loading 1, then I always load it on the drivers side more rather then centered because it helps with lane changes and vision. If you are using a standard 6' 6" bed you can load it to the left behind the driver, swing the rear wheel toward the right/passenger side and easily close the tailgate. If this is your solution, feel free to PM me and I can describe how to tie it down that way for the most security and bed space...there is a "trick"
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote