Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tahoe Hybrid

Would anyone out there tow a 26' 68 Overlander with a hybrid Tahoe?
Given the hitch was a good one....
This is just for discussion since they seem to be a bit out of my price range....
but at this point we use a '95 Ford F150......
Says Tahoe Hybrid is rated for 6200- seems about right.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
There a few things that concern me with the new Tahoe Hybred. Don't get me wrong we are on out third but I don't quite understand how this new breed is supposed to work. For starters is has low profile aluminum wheels and tires. I would think you would need to change those out for towing. Sure, they show a boat being towed on their website but when towing an AS it is a lot different that towing a boat to the lake. I am also very concerned about the manner in which they lowered the truck. I wonder what would happen when under a full tow load. Of course when towing you are using the full power of the gas motor so you wouldn't see any change of milage from a regular Tahoe. One thing that never seems to get mentioned when talking gas/electric hybreds; you can't run the A/C when in electric mode and you don't have heat in cold weather when in electric either.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The truck is rated at about 6000lbs 4x4 and around 6200 2wd.

I would say that if you have a trailer about 5000 to 5300lbs loaded, it should be ok.

More than that, it might be an issue considering fuel, passengers and cargo could put you over the rated tow capacity and may be a more amplified issue if you tow in the mountain areas.

Some info on the truck can be found here:

Hybrid Technology: Chevrolet Tahoe: Chevrolet
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
There a few things that concern me with the new Tahoe Hybred.
you can't run the A/C when in electric mode and you don't have heat in cold weather when in electric either.
The air conditioner and the heater will work in the electric mode on the new Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid. The air conditioner is electric and the Tahoe Hybrid has two separate coolant systems.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
On paper, and in theory this could be close to the perfect TV when considering fuel consumption and towing grunt. On the hills the electric's kick in to assist the already potent vortex engine.

Assuming the light weight wheels and low profile, easy rolling tires are load rated when towing they could be A1 and provide a tight ride for the SUV. The lower Centre of gravity with the low ride again is a plus for handling although off roaders may not like it.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Martha----The hybrid would not be my first choice as a dedicated tow vehicle. GM has made numerous changes to the Tahoe to increase it's fuel economy in addition to the hybrid drive train. For example, the rear axle ratio is 3.23, which is one of the limiting factors on the maximum trailer wt.
Tires are another, no tow hooks on front and closing those openings to improve the aerodynamic profile, no roof racks for the same reason.

It's HP & torque are 10% more than the 5.3 V-8. That's consistent with the 10% displacement increase to 6.0.

That said, if I bought a hybrid Tahoe as a daily driver for it's significantly increased city mileage and then used it for my only tow vehicle, it should do just fine as long as you respect the wt limits and the fact that the torque sweet spot at highway speeds means you are in lower gear or you settle for less than the rated torque in top gear at highway speeds.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for your opinions!
On paper, it does look like a good option (sure glad they fixed the A/C bug!)
When all is said and done- think I will wait a bit.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
For starters is has low profile aluminum wheels and tires. I would think you would need to change those out for towing.
On the issue of the low profile tires and wheels...I bought an '07 GMC 1/2 ton pickup extended cab pickup with the towing package in September to use as a combination daily driver/tow vehicle, and it came equipped with the 20 inch wheels and low profile tires. I too was concerned how they would do towing the AS, but the same properties that make them great for handling (low aspect ratio) in reducing body roll, and improve handling in the curves, also makes the vehicle more stable towing the AS. Overall, and after using them for a while, I say they are a plus for a tow vehicle. They respond to steering changes quickly and positively, do not let the vehicle "squirm" on the tires, and handle weight very well. The only down side I can see is the eventual replacement cost of the tires.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
On the issue of the low profile tires and wheels... ...but the same properties that make them great for handling (low aspect ratio) in reducing body roll, and improve handling in the curves, also makes the vehicle more stable towing the AS. Overall, and after using them for a while, I say they are a plus for a tow vehicle. They respond to steering changes quickly and positively, do not let the vehicle "squirm" on the tires, and handle weight very well.
It seems there is a consensus that this is a positive when it comes to towing. Limiting sidewall flex in this fashion is one of the very techniques employed by CanAm RV to set up TVs seemingly beyond their capacities.

3.23 rear end? bobkelly -- do you know if they'll do that when they come out with the hybrid Sierra in a year or so? (I could be wrong. I have a friend talking about that.) Low ratio rear ends will increase economy but lessen torque delivery. Gotta love the motor assist at that point I guess.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, the low profile tires are not really a concern. I towed the Safari with Z rated 17" performance tires, which are also low profile.

Keep in mind that the tires were rated at about 1900lbs each, which even when not distributing the hitch weight, put me well under the rating of the tires.

Of the issues I had, the tires were a non-issue.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I would think that as long as you stay below the 80% rule of the towing capacity and within the GVW rating and realize that it won't be a 3/4 ton powerhouse, it should be OK. A lot depends on how often you tow. If you tow once or twice a year, I'd say go for it and accept any limitations it has. If you tow on a more frequent basis, the limitations described above may be more than you want to deal with.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Whittier , California
Reverse

Be sure to check the backing capability of the hybrid. I understand the transmission does not have a reverse gear and that backing up is handled by the electric motors.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
Be sure to check the backing capability of the hybrid. I understand the transmission does not have a reverse gear and that backing up is handled by the electric motors.
What happens when the batteries are depleted in stop-n-go traffic and you need to parallel park or back out of that parking space?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
For those towing with a Tahoe, We are buying one with the 3:73 and new for 08, tow package. Describe stability while towing. We go to the beach in the summers and once a year up to Mammoth ca. We will be close to its tow rating and was wondering if any one is towing close to the Tahoe's limit. Tell me all about it.
THX
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
From GM, "The Two-mode Hybrid Transmission contains two 60kW electric motors, each capable of producing 272 lb-ft of torque.........All vehicle movement in reverse is performed by the electric motors in the transmission. In order to maintain the proper charge in the drive motor battery assembly, the engine will run when the vehicle is in reverse, however, there is no mechanical connetion between the engine and the drive wheels in this range."
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Phew! Could you imagine having to push one of those backward! Glad they have a solution for backing up.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Phew! Could you imagine having to push one of those backward! Glad they have a solution for backing up.
But the other news is that the tailgate on the Tahoe Hybrid is made of aluminum! Maybe it could be polished to match the Airstream.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Whittier , California
Subfan---I notice we are neighbors. I tow with 5.3L Tahoe's using 3.73 and 6.0 Yukon using 3.73 The change in performance in all senses of the word is very gradual as the trailer wt increases. A thousand lbs is no change, while 4-5 thousand is clearly noticeable but not uncomfortable while 7-10 thousand degrades the experience to the point where you wish your tow vehicle had more capability. Driving down Beach Blvd to the ocean is one thing. Up and down mountain roads at Eastern Sierra elevations (6-10,000 ft) is quite another.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Yeah we are close Bobkelly, thanks for the reply. How is the short wheelbase of the Tahoe affect the tow experience? Power with the 5.3 will be an issue but, we were looking at the Tahoe LTZ with the 6.2l and 6 speed auto.
We are also looking at a Sierra Maxvortec with tow package. 1/2 ton
We can't decide?
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Whittier , California
The shorter wheel base of the Tahoe, 116 inches, is not a plus, but good enough for our 22ft 5000lb GVW trailer. My reference point is a one ton, FWD, crewcab, 8 ft bed, big block, silverado.

I'm glad to hear that the Tahoe has been given the 6.2l/6 speed.