Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #61

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
But my assumption (maybe wrong) is still that they have higher quality than the US brands.

Just found a nice used Jeep Cherokee to look at and it's RWD! I had no idea Jeep built anything that wasn't 4wd. I really want something that can handle snow when necessary, or pull the trailer out of a muddy spot if it needs to, so I'm still looking.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Remember that most foreign makes aren't necessarily foreign made - they roll of production lines in the US and Canada.
This is correct, however, there are other factors in play. Many of the (critical) parts for these vehicles are shipped from the country of origin (If I am not mistaken, Benz GL's diesel engine comes from Berlin to Alabama for assembly). Also, the R&D process, testing, etc. also mostly happens in the country of origin -- this tend to be a more critical factor than the assembly location.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #63

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
But my assumption (maybe wrong) is still that they have higher quality than the US brands.

Just found a nice used Jeep Cherokee to look at and it's RWD! I had no idea Jeep built anything that wasn't 4wd. I really want something that can handle snow when necessary, or pull the trailer out of a muddy spot if it needs to, so I'm still looking.
Ah, you found a Texas Special. Here in no-snow country that's a popular vehicle for dealers to stock, because they can sell it cheaper and the mileage on the sticker is a little higher. They regret the choice at times like this (North TX has been coated in ice since Friday!) I have a 2WD pickup... even if it weren't in the shop at the moment, I'd still be driving my AWD Subaru that deals really well with this even with all-season tires.

I have a couple of friends who live in a building with a parking garage and love their RWD performance cars with summer tires... except right now. And they're ER doctors who have to go to work anyway. They've been having some trouble with the icy driveway from the garage door to the street, esp. since there's a pronounced gutter to catch the front tires while the rear summer tires spin uselessly on ice.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #64

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We got a dusting of snow/ice on Friday, but it all cleared up enough this weekend to get out in the FWD car and do some car shopping. One of my complaints about the RWD van is that it doesn't have a locking diff so if it gets one wheel in the mud, it's stuck! Which is why I think 4wd or at least AWD would be a really nice feature on the next tow vehicle, even though I don't plan to take the trailer out in snow or anything. Here in the NW the snow is usually brief, but it would be nice to have the ability to go over mtn passes or go up and play in the snow in the higher elevations, which is kind of a three-season thing.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I know a Dodge Ram turbodiesel guy with 1.2 million miles on his Ram. He put an injector pump on it at about 850,000 miles, and a new fuel pump at around a million. Other than that, change the oil, pour in the kerosene, and keep on driving.

I drive a Ram turbodiesel as well. I know it's a bigger vehicle than what you want, but it's given me no trouble of any kind whatsoever. I get 12-15mpg towing a 34' 10,000lb triple axle, and 20mpg plus running solo.

I have a Chevy Cruze Eco for my work beater. I've gotten as high as 51mpg with it, and average about 41 or so on the highway with it.

Anyway, I think it's a myth about the better quality of foreign cars. Maybe once upon a time, but the American brands have had to do better to be competitive.

That being said, my first car was a '72 Dodge Polara that had over 276,000 miles on it before the thrust bearing finally went out of the engine and I had to park it. If you take decent care of it, most any of them will last.

For your little trailer, and what you say you like, I'd say get yourself a new Mustang GT and never look back