Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Suggestions - Small AWD tow vehicle

We no longer need our gigantic van (95 E150) for our business, and would like to downsize to something newer - maybe about 5 years old - and more economical. Unfortunately the van is also our tow vehicle, though it is complete overkill for our trailer. We have no intention of moving up to a bigger trailer. Most of the time the vehicle would be used for running around town, only a few trailer trips a year - though I hope that will get better in time!

So what I would like is suggestions for a smaller tow vehicle (almost anything would be smaller than the van) that would have AWD or 4WD, and still have the capacity to tow the Caravel - 2800# and 250# tongue weight. I'm currently towing on the ball with a friction sway control, but I have no problem with adding a WD hitch which will probably be necessary. I would assume that having one of the tiniest trailers out there would give me lots of options.

Right now I'm thinking of Ford Escape, Toureg, XTerra, Honda Pilot, Cherokee, small SUVs in that range. I would like something more wagon-like, than truck-like, but I'm just not that familiar with what's available. If anyone has any suggestions or insight I'd appreciate it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Do you need an SUV? What about a Volvo station wagon w/ AWD, or maybe even a VW Jetta wagon?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I'd go get a Jeep Commander - we love it!! Nothing beats it in the snow! We have the Hemi 5/7L but with the Caravel, you wouldn't need anything that stout - and the 5.7L Hemi is STOUT! It's very much like the old Jeep Grand Wagoneers to me!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
I think we probably prefer something wagon or SUV like just because we'll need a little cargo capacity still. Not like we did with the van, but probably more than a car will comfortably hold.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Steph,

We are very pleased with our '07 Ford Freestar. Plenty of room for people (seats 7) or cargo, plenty of power with its 4.2l V6, and like most of the better vans, drives like a car.

You will need a good hitch vendor to put in a safe and sturdy receiver, but it tows wonderfully; wide stance and short rear hangover.

Also, because '07 was the last year, they go for a song now.

It towed our '74 31' Sov the 4,000 miles to Florida and back beautifully, so, your 17-footer shouldn't be any problem.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Cargo capacity of the small SUV's you listed are comparable to the cargo capacity of the Volvo and VW wagons, in some cases your choices actually have less space.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Subaru Tribeca might do the trick.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
I'll be checking these out. I have to admit I know nothing about Volvos - I don't even see many around here. I do tend to think vehicles that are more car/wagon-like are probably going to make pretty stable tow platforms, compared to some of the high center-of-gravity SUVs.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We had a V8 Ford Explorer before we got our vintage tow and LOVED it! Big enough with enough power to pull our little trailers and small enough to get around town as a daily driver.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I had a 2012 Subaru Outback to pull my 65 Caravel. It has a 2700 lb. Cap and 200 hitch weight in the 4cyl. I think it's 3000 lbs with the 6 cyl. It's fine with weight distribution hitch. This keeps the hitch weight down by shifting it to the front. The new Outback has a CVT trans on the 4 cyl. So no more shifting in and out of gears on hills.
I trade it for a 2012 Jeep Cerokee because I wanted a bigger trailer.
I saw a Jeep diesel pulling a Bambi. The Jeep diesel was made a few years ago. These are GREAT tow SUVS. Most will have 50-70k on them when you find them used.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So what I would like is suggestions for a smaller tow vehicle (almost anything would be smaller than the van) that would have AWD or 4WD, and still have the capacity to tow the Caravel - 2800# and 250# tongue weight.

For a vehicle that also has business deductible miles [?] I know I would want a great, not just good, relationship with a servicing dealer. So this is where I would start as a Z-turn lawnmower can pull a Caravel: what car dealer has a great reputation among your acquaintances and friends at their service department?

Other than that, to narrow it waaay down, my choice would also be a turbodiesel first for daily driver/tow vehicle. Plenty of vehicle-specific enthusiast forums out there to i.d. problems which could be of concern. Buying used hopefully means paying cash, so a budget to bring it up to par (plus a bit more) is one I have used with success a few times. Lowered initial cost coupled to a well-chosen economical op cost makes any other problems less of a concern to deal with if that servicing dealer can be found (and factory parts used as needed).

I would rate all of this as higher than Brand A versus Brand B. My pickup truck seems "too large" but with a calendar average fuel mileage of 22-mpg and a total of $400 in repairs in 180,000-miles (plus good luck with the Chrysler dealer system overall) the results of paying careful attention to commercial operators of pickup trucks as well as private individuals is paying off well.

To illustrate this, there are plenty of Camry and Accord owners (the majority I suspect) not seeing fuel or repair or maintenance costs this low, overall or on a per mile basis. As but two sets of tires and brakes will have lasted on this 7,500-lb truck out to a quarter-million miles at the present wear rate it's more of a slam dunk. I am suggesting, then, that examination below the surface of personal assumptions as well as specific vehicles be undertaken. If this kind of economy is required (where longevity & reliability are part and parcel) one might come up surprising choices.

What I did not need was a temperamental or foreign make with expensive or hard-to-obtain parts despite magazine-trumpeted "superior performance". In a giant metro area such as Dallas (fourth largest in nation) this was never a concern, everything was/is in stock. 500-miles south of there out amongst county-sized ranches is quite another story for a vehicle whose primary purpose is still income-related.

In truth there aren't any limitations to what can be hooked up to that trailer short of your AWD requirement. Of course a change to a sway-eliminating hitch even on a small trailer is worthwhile, IMO. (The economy of my truck "pays" for all sorts of upgrades or changes of this nature I'm happy to self-justify, ha!).

Good luck.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I would assume that having one of the tiniest trailers out there would give me lots of options.

Right now I'm thinking of Ford Escape, Toureg, XTerra, Honda Pilot, Cherokee, small SUVs in that range.
So many choices for that size and weight of trailer. A tough decision.

Things to think about could be..... your personal preferences when it comes to brand, build location, importance of fuel economy, initial cost of vehicle, dealership (and service) availability. The other biggy is having a vehicle you like to drive and one you can imagine parked in your driveway.

Start by eliminating the ones you have strong negative feelings about and get it down to just a few choices. I would then do a Consumers mag feedback check on reliability. Nobody I know wants a vehicle with a high probability of faults or issues.

Research the forum. Review posts from Andrew T. He has probably towed with most or all of the vehicles you are considering.

Good luck with your vehicle search. An exciting time. Try to have fun with the journey.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll be checking these out. I have to admit I know nothing about Volvos - I don't even see many around here. I do tend to think vehicles that are more car/wagon-like are probably going to make pretty stable tow platforms, compared to some of the high center-of-gravity SUVs.
Stef,

If your not seeing many, the dealerships may be just as scarce.

Great vehicles with a good rep, but not an extensive network.

I hate to admit, being a GM diehard, but if I was in the market I'd check out Chrysler.....ouch!!!... did I really say that.
I was pleasantly impressed on a recent visit.

Disclaimer.....werked at Jeep store 30yrs past, very different then

Bob
Old 02-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
We no longer need our gigantic van (95 E150) for our business, and would like to downsize to something newer - maybe about 5 years old - and more economical. Unfortunately the van is also our tow vehicle, though it is complete overkill for our trailer. We have no intention of moving up to a bigger trailer. Most of the time the vehicle would be used for running around town, only a few trailer trips a year - though I hope that will get better in time!

So what I would like is suggestions for a smaller tow vehicle (almost anything would be smaller than the van) that would have AWD or 4WD, and still have the capacity to tow the Caravel - 2800# and 250# tongue weight. I'm currently towing on the ball with a friction sway control, but I have no problem with adding a WD hitch which will probably be necessary. I would assume that having one of the tiniest trailers out there would give me lots of options.

Right now I'm thinking of Ford Escape, Toureg, XTerra, Honda Pilot, Cherokee, small SUVs in that range. I would like something more wagon-like, than truck-like, but I'm just not that familiar with what's available. If anyone has any suggestions or insight I'd appreciate it.
We tow Sweatpea, a 19' Globetrotter with a BMW X5 diesel .No weight distribution or sway bars required. Tows very well up hill and down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-562475581.png
Views:	439
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	150357
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-329308564.png
Views:	207
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	150358  

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Go TOUAREG or GO HOME!

+1,000,000(!) for the Touareg. All models are great tow vehicles, but some models have better milage than others. You should be able to pick up a gently used 2006 V8 for around $15,000. The 2007 model year brought a larger 3.6L V6 FSI that is fantastic for light towing and balances out with decent in-town milage. 2008 brings the facelift models and the V8 FSI (more HP/torque). 2009 brings the first 3L V6 TDI (diesel) which brings 28mpg hwy.

Touareg interior is top notch and has aged well (in my opinion). Ride quality and handling is fantastic for the biggest SMALL SUV. The Touareg is TOP NOTCH in the snow and off road, even if off road means a gravel parking lot to you.

PM Janet and see how she like hers.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Can not beat jeep

Towing with subaru must be some sort joke right? 4dr wrangler is rated at 3500 pounds and has lots accessories to purchase. Liberty or Comander would work great. I am scratching my head at subaru towing post have you seen the thin gauge metal for attaching hitch. My bambi frame would tear a rustarube appart like tin can.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I rented a newer RAV4 last year. Lots if room inside, surprisenly fun to drive, and lots (really!) power. 3500 # rating.
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Iron Mountain , Michigan
my advice would be to check out the ford freestyle wagon, good gas milage and plenty of room. you should be able to get one for pretty cheap.

domtv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Volvos, although now owned by Ford, have no towing capacity for anything more than a jet ski. Google for a towing capacity chart to find the limits of the vehicles that you are interested in.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
Towing with subaru must be some sort joke right?
We have an '09 Outback and I'd never tow anything bigger than a jet ski with it. But they are rated for much more weight in Europe and on the Subaru forums I see them towing huge trailers; which seems really scarey stupid to me. Don't get the variable drive transmission for towing. They only put it behind the smallest engine because the don't believe it will take the abuse of a turbo or the 6 cyl.

I'd stick with something that is designed as a rear wheel drive vehicle (rules out Ford Freestar and Flex, Aerostar was rear wheel drive) even if you are getting AWD and look for a full frame rather than a uni-body. That unfortunately really limits choices in the small TV market. Especially since GM discontinued the Astro/Safari models. The Dodge Magnum looks interesting but I bet gas mileage would be terrible.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote